Now That I Am Officially Retired (Retirement Extension)

OKay, I asked this about a year ago...and I had an awswer.

I've been trying to use that !@#!#* search function for an hour to see that particular post.

Since I can't find it...let me ask again.

Now that I have my retirement extension until December...what about my non 0 visa which runs out in November?

I assume that since I have that immigration form from Chaeng Wattana in my passport that states I have an extension of stay until 27 December I'm good until then.

And yes, I know about an exit/re-entry permit if I have to leave Thailand.

My understanding was that therefore I don't have to renew my original non O visa as long as I keep my retirement extension valid.

Am I right on that...that I do not need another visa after November?

Or do I need another visa in November?

Sorry for being dense, but it is important to get it right...and not overstay.

Anyhow, if needed I still have time to do another visa run on my original non O if required...but I'd rather not.

Just done this myself. My 'O' expired in August of this year. Late September, before my current Permission to Stay expired, I did the whole retirement extension.

So, the answer is No, the visa does not have to be valid. The permission to stay does.

I am sure a more knowledgeable person will correct me if I am wrong.

"I assume that since I have that immigration form from Chaeng Wattana in my passport that states I have an extension of stay until 27 December I'm good until then."

What form is that? Normally they stamp the info in your passport, no form.

It sounds like that is the date you need to do your 90 day address report. That is a form, usually stapled, in your passport.

IMA_FARANG, you are right. You can forget about that non-O visa, presumably for a single entry, you got at a Thai consulate last year. What counts now is the retirement extension stamp you have in your passport, giving you permission to stay in Thailand until 27 December. Any time during the last 30 days before 27 December, go to your local immigration office and apply for a new retirement extension, then repeat that every year.

The non-O visa got used and became invalid when you arrived with it in Thailand and on the basis of it received permission to stay for 90 days, which you subsequently extended by one year for the reason of retirement. Although invalid now, your original non-O visa will continue to serve the immigration office as one of the criteria for giving you the yearly retirement extensions. When your passport gets full and you get a new one, the immigration office will make a reference in your new passport to that old non-O visa.

IMA_FARANG, you are right. You can forget about that non-O visa, presumably for a single entry, you got at a Thai consulate last year. What counts now is the retirement extension stamp you have in your passport, giving you permission to stay in Thailand until 27 December. Any time during the last 30 days before 27 December, go to your local immigration office and apply for a new retirement extension, then repeat that every year.

The non-O visa got used and became invalid when you arrived with it in Thailand and on the basis of it received permission to stay for 90 days, which you subsequently extended by one year for the reason of retirement. Although invalid now, your original non-O visa will continue to serve the immigration office as one of the criteria for giving you the yearly retirement extensions. When your passport gets full and you get a new one, the immigration office will make a reference in your new passport to that old non-O visa.

----------------------------

Thank you...that's what I wanted to be completely sure of.

Actually the non O multi-entry visa I had was issued at Hull on 17 October 2010 and was due to expire on 16 October 2011.

So I could have done another border run on it...and got another 90 days entry...like I did 3 times before.

But I figured...what's the point of milking it...just get the retirement extension/visa and do the 90 day reprting.

I live close enough to Chaeng Wattana that I can get there by taxi or car in less than 30 minutes...even in heavy traffic.

:D