Collision - Backing Out

Johnniey

My wife and our next door neighbour just had a collision when both were backing out the driveways. Both of their faults.

My question is, whilst waiting for his insurance to come, will/should his 1st class insurance pay for my wife's damaged car? My wife's car has only compulsory insurance.

IF it was 50/50 then his insurance pays for his own damage and your wifes insurance pays for her own damage.

However, your wife doesn't have her own insurance. It's her own fault that she is not fully covered.

That said, if the car is older than 10 years, it's difficult to get 1st class insurance, but the repairs are theoretically cheaper anyway.

Should his 1st class insurance pay for your wifes car? There is no reason why he should, but only your neighbor can decide if he is feeling generous enough to accept 100% of the blame or not.

Legally – his insurance company are under no obligation to cover someone else who does not have their own 1st class or fully comprehensive insurance unless blame is placed on your neighbour.

Should his 1st class insurance pay for your wifes car? There is no reason why he should, but only your neighbor can decide if he is feeling generous enough to accept 100% of the blame or not.

Thanks.

Personally, if you hit my car you'd be on your own..

If I hit your car in my wife's car or my wife hit you?

So what your saying is that people with better insurance can drive around as reckless as they please, whilst people with lesser insurance have to drive more carefully? Do you drive a blaack Toyota Fortuner or a pick-up?

Thanks.

So what your saying is that people with better insurance can drive around as reckless as they please, whilst people with lesser insurance have to drive more carefully? Do you drive a blaack Toyota Fortuner or a pick-up?

Excuse me did I say that? NO! But are you suggesting that because your wife is a careless driver and is not properly insured for whatever reason that anyone should pay for HER carelessness? They both screwed up by your own admission, you pay for yours and she pays for hers what planet do you think you live on?

ON second thought maybe neither of you should be driving until you figure that one out :rolleyes: <deleted>..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Thanks.

Excuse me did I say that? NO! But are you suggesting that because your wife is a careless driver and is not properly insured for whatever reason that anyone should pay for HER carelessness? They both screwed up by your own admission, you pay for yours and she pays for hers what planet do you think you live on?

ON second thought maybe neither of you should be driving until you figure that one out :rolleyes: <deleted>..

In typical Motoring Forum fashion this is potentially turning into a dick fight after only 4 or 5 posts !!!

I'll divert the thread a little and perhaps the ego's can accommodate. A number of years back there was an article in the Bangkok Post suggesting that the reason for so many accidents in Thailand / Bangkok was that people had insurance and therefore didn't care !

While I thought this was a particularly daft conclusion at the time I have since thought about it and to some extent I now agree. Ignoring the inconvenience of time lost and hassles having to have your car fixed... If we have 1st class insurance an accident only costs us a no claims bonus. As such I'd suspect that some people really do not care if they have a minor accident. Those very same people might drive significantly more carefully if they had a B10,000 or B20,000 excess on their claim....

So, perhaps there is a little truth in the suggestion that 'some' people with 1st class insurance do driver a little more carelessly because they have full cover. I know that if I only had 3rd party cover a minor fender bender would cost me in excess of B100,000 (hell, a new windscreen cost my insurance company B66,000 !!!).... I would drive a hell of a lot more carefully than I do now. That's not to say I drive badly, but I do find that I have to push a little to get anywhere and sometimes find myself not giving in. For sure I'd give in a lot more frequently if I was paying for any potential damage.

That said, it may also be assumed that those who do not have full cover really have not thought through the consequences of a bump, those same people may not think through the consequences of their driving actions. Or those same people with 3rd party insurance (or even no insurance) don't care about their car or anyone else's and drive accordingly...

Lets face it, this is a highly subjective opinion and could be discussed until the the cows come home...

So, back to the point of the OP.... IF your misses or anyone else for that matter reversed into my car, my actions may very well depend on how the situation was handled.

Note: A taxi hit my car a while back. He had no insurance and I told him to disappear before it ended up costing him a lot of money to pay for the minor damage to my car. I was in a good mood !!!!

Edited by richard_smith237

In typical Motoring Forum fashion this is potentially turning into a dick fight after only 4 or 5 posts !!!

Still better than average for this website ;)

If we have 1st class insurance an accident only costs us a no claims bonus.

I wonder what % of the population actually have a no claims bonus... Based on what I've seen, as soon as the renewal notice comes they're straight on the phone to claim all their Tesco door dents from the past year...

As such I'd suspect that some people really do not care if they have a minor accident. Those very same people might drive significantly more carefully if they had a B10,000 or B20,000 excess on their claim....

A 5,000 Baht deductible is usually the enough to give a significant saving, with diminishing savings after that - probably because 5,000 hits over the average annual door-dent threshold ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Warpspeed hit the Bulls Eye. Not contentious at all. Hard Talk upsets a few.

Cheers Star, I thought I was rather diplomatic untiiiiill!!! Then the gloves came off and a reality check was in order, not an egotistical cock fight as suggested just a reality check..

Obviously there are some reckless drivers without a top insurance. :whistling: BTW. what car does your wife drive?

Obviously there are some reckless drivers without a top insurance. :whistling: BTW. what car does your wife drive?

More to the point, what car did she drive before a Ferang came along.!!

And actually what was the damage? broken light? scratch? or was it a full Hednesford reverse ;) .

So, perhaps there is a little truth in the suggestion that 'some' people with 1st class insurance do driver a little more carelessly because they have full cover. I know that if I only had 3rd party cover a minor fender bender would cost me in excess of B100,000 (hell, a new windscreen cost my insurance company B66,000 !!!).... I would drive a hell of a lot more carefully than I do now. That's not to say I drive badly, but I do find that I have to push a little to get anywhere and sometimes find myself not giving in. For sure I'd give in a lot more frequently if I was paying for any potential damage.

That said, it may also be assumed that those who do not have full cover really have not thought through the consequences of a bump, those same people may not think through the consequences of their driving actions. Or those same people with 3rd party insurance (or even no insurance) don't care about their car or anyone else's and drive accordingly...

Lets face it, this is a highly subjective opinion and could be discussed until the the cows come home...

So, back to the point of the OP.... IF your misses or anyone else for that matter reversed into my car, my actions may very well depend on how the situation was handled.

Note: A taxi hit my car a while back. He had no insurance and I told him to disappear before it ended up costing him a lot of money to pay for the minor damage to my car. I was in a good mood !!!!

Thanks for the reply Sir - you are the voice of wisdom on this thread. I'm sure there's some truth to it. I've had 1st, 2nd, Compulsory and no(for a few weeks) insurance in my time in this country and for sure I drove more carefully when I had none.

2 yearsago, a motorcyclist with side car hit the back of my car and smashed the rear light. He was an old guy with his wife sitting in the side bit. Of course Ididn't try to make the guy pay, as I had insurance. I don't know how people like Warpedspeed could sleep at night if they make these kind of people pay or go to jail as the case often is.6 months ago a builder and his son hit my back - the guy told me to follow him to his tin shack outside the building site and he gave me his phone number and said he'd pay 2000 when he got paid at the end of the month.At the end of the month he called me and offered to pay and I told him not to bother as my insurance had covered it. 2000 baht to that guy is probably a weeks wages - for me it's a night out.

without Insurance I would offer the other guy 10k baht to tell his Insurance he was reversing while my car was not moving

he loses NCB anyway for covering his own car

Excellent advice - she should have done that - well not 10k but maybe 2k as the damage was slight.

Thanks for the reply Sir - you are the voice of wisdom on this thread. I'm sure there's some truth to it. I've had 1st, 2nd, Compulsory and no(for a few weeks) insurance in my time in this country and for sure I drove more carefully when I had none.

2 yearsago, a motorcyclist with side car hit the back of my car and smashed the rear light. He was an old guy with his wife sitting in the side bit. Of course Ididn't try to make the guy pay, as I had insurance. I don't know how people like Warpedspeed could sleep at night if they make these kind of people pay or go to jail as the case often is.6 months ago a builder and his son hit my back - the guy told me to follow him to his tin shack outside the building site and he gave me his phone number and said he'd pay 2000 when he got paid at the end of the month.At the end of the month he called me and offered to pay and I told him not to bother as my insurance had covered it. 2000 baht to that guy is probably a weeks wages - for me it's a night out.

:cheesy:, what a twonk. If you had hit this poor guy, you would have been taken to the cleaners, no question. ANY country, if you want to drive a vehicle, then pay what is needed.

In farang land it costs mega bucks to insure, so why different here. :rolleyes:

More to the point, what car did she drive before a Ferang came along.!!

Semper - My wife isnt a reckless driver - it was one of those accidents that could have happened to anyone - just bad timing.

And btw, I dont know what you mean about giving my wife a 6 month driving holiday. I can only assume that you think all women in Thailand are subservient and should be treated like children.

Wandrinstar - maybe you should stick to posting in the Pattaya forum.

, what a twonk. If you had hit this poor guy, you would have been taken to the cleaners, no question. ANY country, if you want to drive a vehicle, then pay what is needed.

In farang land it costs mega bucks to insure, so why different here.

Many many reasons. Do you really not know what they are?

, what a twonk. If you had hit this poor guy, you would have been taken to the cleaners, no question. ANY country, if you want to drive a vehicle, then pay what is needed.

In farang land it costs mega bucks to insure, so why different here.

Many many reasons. Do you really not know what they are?

No, I know, but in farangland, insurance for a ride is expensive, no question, but here they don't bother cos there is no law and it won't happen to them. Boot on the other foot and they would hang you. :huh:

:cheesy:, what a twonk. If you had hit this poor guy, you would have been taken to the cleaners, no question. ANY country, if you want to drive a vehicle, then pay what is needed.

Yep, agree with T/A, you're a dream to those here looking for a quick buck, unfortunately you're farang so your example reflects directly on all of us and we get the same treatment with them looking for the same sort of twonk as T/A puts it :( ..

Flattered you singled me out as IF there wasn't a virtually unified agreement on the liability and driving skill applied here, and let me tell you, that ought to tell you just how wrong you are as for us to all be unified on a given topic is about as successful as mixing oil and water B) ..

IF it was 50/50 then his insurance pays for his own damage and your wifes insurance pays for her own damage.

However, your wife doesn't have her own insurance. It's her own fault that she is not fully covered.

That said, if the car is older than 10 years, it's difficult to get 1st class insurance, but the repairs are theoretically cheaper anyway.

Legally – his insurance company are under no obligation to cover someone else who does not have their own 1st class or fully comprehensive insurance unless blame is placed on your neighbour.

Just a simple tip for the bonehead drivers who just ain't a clue ,Always and I mean always reverse into your driveway as you will never be hit by on coming traffic when engaging reverse gear ,you have to use reverse gear whatever the circumstances when driving in or reversing out ,so why not use it when it is totally impossible to get hit by an oncoming vehicle when your vision may well be impaired.

Yep, agree with T/A, you're a dream to those here looking for a quick buck, unfortunately you're farang so your example reflects directly on all of us and we get the same treatment with them looking for the same sort of twonk as T/A puts it :( ..

Flattered you singled me out as IF there wasn't a virtually unified agreement on the liability and driving skill applied here, and let me tell you, that ought to tell you just how wrong you are as for us to all be unified on a given topic is about as successful as mixing oil and water B) ..

Getting a bit worried that we keep agreeing on stuff. Cool really. :D

You know this is the second time you've moved the goal posts to suit your argument the very signature of a troll.. You started out with the incident of your wife carelessly backing out of your driveway (no matter how you wish to label it it was careless driving that would have also gotten her a ticket and fine in any western country) and mutually hitting her neighbor and who should pay because she doesn't have proper insurance coverage for whatever reason?

My response is she pays for hers and you pay for yours and some how that didn't sit well with you? As you have some have deluded point of view that makes you feel entitled to the other guys insurance? Poor baby....

Now you shift to a convoluted story completely separate and apart from the original about some old Thai folks who live in a tin shack, does this apply to you or your original OP? I thought not, so it really is a massive movement of the goal posts.. Can't stay on topic in your own thread <deleted>? :rolleyes:

Just a simple tip for the bonehead drivers who just ain't a clue ,Always and I mean always reverse into your driveway as you will never be hit by on coming traffic when engaging reverse gear ,you have to use reverse gear whatever the circumstances when driving in or reversing out ,so why not use it when it is totally impossible to get hit by an oncoming vehicle when your vision may well be impaired.

While I'd say that is probably good advice generally speaking, in this case it sounds as if something else would have/will get hit regardless :( .

Edited by WarpSpeed

I disagree TA. Not everyone goes through life with a similar thought process to screw someone over for a mistake. If he had hit the 'poor guy' he might have been asked for B2000 only.... no one knows until faced with that situation. I rear ended a woman once (in her car I might add), there was no visible damage at night so I just left her with my number and a promise to pay if there was any damage.

With the building site guy, It's very likely I would have behaved in a similar manner had the guy offered me 2000B at the end of the month. He honored his agreement and Johnniey rejected with a level of financial compassion. The Thai's I know would likely behave in a very similar manner.

The outstanding issue is that an accident can cause injury and worse - Are people learning from their mistakes? If the path of least resistance is always taken and people are not taught to be responsible for their actions, the next accident may be more serious and hurt someone...

I therefore suspect a lot of the post accident action is down to how the situation on the ground is dealt with, if someone accepts responsibility and behaves sensibly then there is always an easy option. If someone is being silly about it, they might face further issues....

The outstanding issue is that an accident can cause injury and worse - Are people learning from their mistakes? If the path of least resistance is always taken and people are not taught to be responsible for their actions, the next accident may be more serious and hurt someone...

Yes and as I recall the OP is asking, indeed expecting the other driver to pay for his wife's car damage (their mutual mistake) because her insurance (and driving it seems) is substandard so how is one learning from one's mistakes by having another persons insurance pay for their careless driving? As that is the OP's topic :rolleyes::whistling:

Edited by WarpSpeed