New Dukes Burger Bar

Maejo Man

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can anyone from Dukes tell us when this burger bar is actually opening. Then, when it opens, we can have 10 more pages (a la Moe's) on whether the only decent hamburger ever made came from Little Rock, Arkansas or Coolangatta, Queensland (don't forget the beetroot).

Had a burger at Mikes a few days ago and that bad boy was sitting in my stomach 6 hours later. But it did taste good

I tried "Mikes" twice before - could not believe the grease on the burger - disgusting, I thought it might be a one off so did try again and it was the same greasy mess - never again.

Also, anybody know where you can get a nice big bowl of kwetiao nuea-sot (fresh beef, noodle soup); or Vietnamese soup ("feo/pho")? Must use quality sliced beef, not chewy, not fatty! 40-50 baht per bowl.

Just to correct an ordering error, you haven't asked for soup, most places would give you a plate of noodles dry if you asked for that.

1st you would need to specify soup, Naam Sai (put in water)

2nd you should specify the type of noodles in order to avoid being given egg noodles or glass noodles, I like sen lek (narrow plain noodles)

So to correctly order noodle soup with most variables tied down

ก๋วยเตี๋ยว เนื้อสด เส้นเล็ก น้ำใส่

gŭay-dtĭeow néua sòt sên lék nám sài

Edited by ludditeman

Also, anybody know where you can get a nice big bowl of kwetiao nuea-sot (fresh beef, noodle soup); or Vietnamese soup ("feo/pho")? Must use quality sliced beef, not chewy, not fatty! 40-50 baht per bowl.

Just to correct an ordering error, you haven't asked for soup, most places would give you a plate of noodles dry if you asked for that.

1st you would need to specify soup, Naam Sai (put in water)

2nd you should specify the type of noodles in order to avoid being given egg noodles or glass noodles, I like sen lek (narrow plain noodles)

So to correctly order noodle soup with most variables tied down

ก๋วยเตี๋ยว เนื้อสด เส้นเล็ก น้ำใส่

gŭay-dtĭeow néua sòt sên lék nám sài

It's นำ้ใส (clear soup) not นำ้ใส่ (put in water) as you put it.

Haley Sabai, the Blue Shop next to Girasole has pretty good beef noodle soup. Pretty sure there's a Vietnamese restaurant in that complex too.

I'm happy with either, whats a 'mai eck' here or there.

Different tone and meaning. One's correct, one's wrong ;)

But by all means keep using นำ้ใส่ if it makes you happy :jap:

I'm happy with either, whats a 'mai eck' here or there.

Different tone and meaning. One's correct, one's wrong ;)

But by all means keep using นำ้ใส่ if it makes you happy :jap:

I usually write it ไส in the restaurants that expect orders written by the customer, but the waiters seem to understand my order, they probs mutter to each other about "bloody ignorant foreigners" though.

• 1 month later...

Was in today had a hot dog. Good hot dog all beef. Not a big fan of the buns. Mom always used white bread.

I liked the menu because the fries were not included in the burgers and the price reflected it.

I disliked the menu because the fries were not included in the burgers and who cares about the price for great fries.

Dave2 again with the picture! incredible! Are you a photojournalist? Or just a wannabe? wink.gif

Is the restaurant going to occupy the whole corner unit then? Pretty prime real estate, to be fair. Must cost a pretty penny, surely reflected in the food prices.

Can't comment on Woody's burger, but Mike's is absolutely appalling junk. And no matter how hungry I might be, there's no "food" to be had in 7/11. Sticky rice pork burger? <deleted> off!

Stopped being mean and bullying our dave2.

I enjoy and appreciate his photos and reports, they are quite informative.

b j and uptheos.

re .. I enjoy and appreciate his photos and reports, they are quite informative

thanks for that but i do enjoy posting my pics even if some people obviously dont like them : (

dukes burgers now has 4 tables and chairs outside ( until the city police see them )

and the new menu

enjoy .. dave2

post-42592-0-64080500-1324899279_thumb.j

post-42592-0-50151600-1324899319_thumb.j

post-42592-0-26810000-1324899460_thumb.j

<p>

Dave2 again with the picture! incredible! Are you a photojournalist? Or just a wannabe? wink.gif Is the restaurant going to occupy the whole corner unit then? Pretty prime real estate, to be fair. Must cost a pretty penny, surely reflected in the food prices. Can&#39;t comment on Woody&#39;s burger, but Mike&#39;s is absolutely appalling junk. And no matter how hungry I might be, there&#39;s no &quot;food&quot; to be had in 7/11. Sticky rice pork burger? &lt;deleted&gt; off!
Stopped being mean and bullying our dave2. I enjoy and appreciate his photos and reports, they are quite informative.
</p>

Mean? Bullying? Really?!

I'm dave2's biggest fan.

Stan

Edited by keo

I had the burgers at the new Dukes, I stumbled across them - Open one night last week - go figure, I have had the 99`er with cheese & bacon. I was impressed enough to go back with other judge/ witnesses - I tried the name-sake Dukes Burger, IMO it is the best burger I have had here - prior TITLE HOLDER was Sony Burger near the night market - opposite the Mosque, anyway I digress yet again. The burger was very good , big enough, great salad quality, v good "special" sauce on the side, and they have real Ketchup & mustard x two types work well, there was no grease, no oily aftertaste - they use a real ex USA Char Broiler I was told, I added an egg Aussy style and had a can of Chang to round out the calories - thats a proper meal, it was 220 baht & a very welcome change. My friends were both equally impressed, this is voted as the Burger of choice by the 2 residents of Chiang Mai. They are also talking of a Texas BBQ on the roof - cant wait for that, been way too many years since I was spoiled with Texas BBQ in Austin. I say - try them and you will be a sad bugger like me - hooked, it is a bit too close to home for comfort & waist line , more intestinal fortitude required now !

Open 24 hours? That surprises me! I was just hoping for "open late"

I agree. In that location a Dukes open 24 hours could do a lot of late night/early morning business.

So that brings up an interesting question then. Can we now look forward to a serious "Dukes style" breakfast menu?

Open 24 hours it would make sense that they would offer breakfast, right?

I suppose I'm just craving the Cracker Barrel Breakfast back home. Cracker Barrel's breakfast is the one thing I really miss about the states! Can I get an Amen?

Probably hoping for too much.

Actually, its not 24 hours. It closes at 2 AM. And as I found out the hard way this past Saturday night, they actually shut down the grill and stop serving about 1:30'ish. So unfortunately, for late night burger options, you are still stuck with Mikes, McD's or Burger King.

-Mestizo

Took an American friend here on Christmas eve and was smil'n ear to ear when he saw the prices....nothing over 160baht

had the route 66 and a rather generous portion of sm.fries. The staff were in the 'falling-over each other stage' of development but managed to flip-out a very decent offering.

We even went back for 2nds after an evening of fine beer drinking at the Lanna Inter Brew fest, another event we will be looking forward to next year.

I think Burger Kings large, bacon cheeseburger is by far the best in Chiang Mai smile.gif

Agreed BURGER KING is King

As for Dukes never had a good meal there tried 2 times and gave up and as for Mikes Burgers while not my taste they seem to have lasted the longest and you don't last long without consistent custom so someone is keeping them in business

DK.

People who have eaten at Dukes on the river could have told you there hamburgers are the best.

The ingredients are made there and taken over to the new Dukes. Was in there the other day and was told that they are working on staying open around the clock.

As for Diamond King I think you have hit on the only burger joint in Chiang Mai that can give Dukes a run for their money. I would have to go with the double whopper with bacon as the only serious contender.

I eat at Dukes quite often and there are a few meals I would rate as not that good. But that is my tastes and there is many others to choose from.

For instance when my boy comes to visit from Canada the first thing he wants to do is go to Dukes on the river for the ribs. Myself well I am with DK when it comes to the ribs. Not a big fan of there Greek salad either. So I don't order them stick with what I like.

People who have eaten at Dukes on the river could have told you there hamburgers are the best.

The ingredients are made there and taken over to the new Dukes. Was in there the other day and was told that they are working on staying open around the clock.

As for Diamond King I think you have hit on the only burger joint in Chiang Mai that can give Dukes a run for their money. I would have to go with the double whopper with bacon as the only serious contender.

I eat at Dukes quite often and there are a few meals I would rate as not that good. But that is my tastes and there is many others to choose from.

For instance when my boy comes to visit from Canada the first thing he wants to do is go to Dukes on the river for the ribs. Myself well I am with DK when it comes to the ribs. Not a big fan of there Greek salad either. So I don't order them stick with what I like.

HONEST and to the point a refreshing change for TV

Have not eaten everything on the menu at DUKES but the 2 times I did go, I ate 4 different things (counting the Mrs's food) and really, I found it very mediocre at best, having said that, I took a look at the new burger joint menu and the Big Jim with Blue Cheese sounds kinda good, might have to give them one more shot.

Dk

Edited by DiamondKing

HONEST and to the point a refreshing change for TV

Have not eaten everything on the menu at DUKES but the 2 times I did go, I ate 4 different things (counting the Mrs's food) and really, I found it very mediocre at best, having said that, I took a look at the new burger joint menu and the Big Jim with Blue Cheese sounds kinda good, might have to give them one more shot.

Dk

That is my favorite burger. It is the same burger as the jo's famous at Dukes but it comes with out the fries.

A I said earlier I like the menu because it dosen't have the fries included and I dislike the menu because it dosen't have the fries included.

The burger is marginally good for me physically and no matter how munch I like the fries they are not good for me physically. And they are some of the tastiest fries I have ever had.

That said I like Dukes on the river because they pretty munch keep the water glass full. I hope this one will. I had a pop when I went in there the other day.

That is my favorite burger. It is the same burger as the jo's famous at Dukes but it comes with out the fries.

A I said earlier I like the menu because it dosen't have the fries included and I dislike the menu because it dosen't have the fries included.

The burger is marginally good for me physically and no matter how munch I like the fries they are not good for me physically. And they are some of the tastiest fries I have ever had.

That said I like Dukes on the river because they pretty munch keep the water glass full. I hope this one will. I had a pop when I went in there the other day.

They keep my wine glass full, too.

Stopped in last night before they closed. My review:

Service - Little bit poorer than expected. One girl was sitting on the customer side of the counter working on what appeared to be homework. The other 2 girls and 1 guy stood around chatting. Nobody greeted me when I walked in. Even after I picked up the menu and prepared to order, nobody acknowledged my existence. Finally the guy decided to walk around to the other side of the counter and take my order. Not a huge deal, but expected more based on the level of professionalism always shown by the staff of the Dukes branch next to the river. I believe the time of day might also have something to do with it. New, unsupervised staff, working alone at night. Most likely, over time the lazy staff will be weeded out and overall service will improve.

Food - I had a Cajun Burger and fries. Burger was pretty great! Excellent tasting beef and not overly greasy. The homecut french fries were also really, really good. Cooked to perfection with the right amount of crispiness The fries were perhaps even better than the Original Dukes.

Menu - The menu could use a bit of work. For instance, the Cajun Burger said that comes with "Roasted Hot Sauce"... I think that is actually meant to be Roasted Onions (which were actually more grilled than roasted). Another minor complaint, is that from looking at the menu, it appears that you need to order side items separately (fries, pickle, etc). So, I ordered a side pickle (20THB), only to discover that the burger actually comes with a side pickle and the pickle I ordered was actually a cup of sliced pickles. Anyway, the pickles are also pretty good so I just carried them to eat later. Main point is that some additional clarity on the menu would be good.

Opening Hours - Next to the door there is a printed paper sign saying 10am - 2am . At the top of the menu, it says "Open Late", but then at the bottom of the menu, it says "Open 24 Hours". When I previously tried to visit at 1:30am, they had already stopped serving and were cleaning up. In my opinion, the listed closing time should be the time when they stop serving. The cleaning and restaurant shutdown should happen AFTER closing. Anyway, 1:30am is good. 2am would be better. 3am would be fantastic (and would be ideal to truly compete with Mikes) and 24 hours would be a Godsend. But whatever the chosen closing time is, making it more clear would be great.

Overall, great and very welcome addition to the Chiang Mai food selection. Especially for late-night, post-party foodies like myself! Definitely will be getting alot of business from me and will be recommending to others as well.

-Mestizo

Was in today had a hot dog. Good hot dog all beef. Not a big fan of the buns. Mom always used white bread.

I liked the menu because the fries were not included in the burgers and the price reflected it.

I disliked the menu because the fries were not included in the burgers and who cares about the price for great fries.

Mai kow jai mak mak! Do the burgers come with fries (chips) or not? and were you pleased with this or not? Were the burgers good value or not?

I was about the go and kin one for myself but now very confussed mak mak.

I stopped by last night before 1 AM and they were shut down. I was really disappointed since it would have been my first visit and I was really looking forward to it. I agree with the previous poster(s) who would like the closing time made perfectly clear.

Mai kow jai mak mak! Do the burgers come with fries (chips) or not? and were you pleased with this or not? Were the burgers good value or not?

I was about the go and kin one for myself but now very confussed mak mak.

Exactly like I said the burgers do not come with fries. The burgers are as I have said in earlier posts great and the value is in my opinion a good deal.