New Dukes Burger Bar

Maejo Man

<br />
<br />
<br />Enough burger joints already. What this town needs is a decent shwarma shop. The type where the garlic sauce runs all over your arms eating it.<br />
<br />yeah the only good place is the place near reggae bar and they have a different flavor.  they don't use the regular humas/garlic/tazikyi they use back home.<br />
<br />You mean Zoe/Yellow? That's Greek. Best tomato salad outside Greece, bad none, absolutely LOVE it. Didn't know they had shawerma?!<br /><br />Is that new Duke's going to have "The 99 Baht Burger" or not, that's the question. At BHT 127 after cheese and taxes, it's def. the best deal on a burger, and excellent fries too, which is rare. Many places seem to think frozen fries from Macro are good enough. And Heinz Tomato Sauce. Other places shoot themselves in the foot offering that cheap Thai sad-excuse-for-ketchup. I've even been to a place where the cheap stuff had been filled in Heinz bottles! <br /><br />The original Dukes has the 99 Baht - the night bazaar branch doesn't. <br /><br />Anyway - loving Duke's burgers; but just as with any Thai business, quality varies a bit day to day.<br />

Never had a bad meal at the Dukes.

Dave makes sure the quality does not vary at all.

I wouldn't call it a Thai business at all. Only the fact it's in Thailand.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<br />
<br />
<br />Enough burger joints already. What this town needs is a decent shwarma shop. The type where the garlic sauce runs all over your arms eating it.<br />
<br />yeah the only good place is the place near reggae bar and they have a different flavor. they don't use the regular humas/garlic/tazikyi they use back home.<br />
<br />You mean Zoe/Yellow? That's Greek. Best tomato salad outside Greece, bad none, absolutely LOVE it. Didn't know they had shawerma?!<br /><br />Is that new Duke's going to have "The 99 Baht Burger" or not, that's the question. At BHT 127 after cheese and taxes, it's def. the best deal on a burger, and excellent fries too, which is rare. Many places seem to think frozen fries from Macro are good enough. And Heinz Tomato Sauce. Other places shoot themselves in the foot offering that cheap Thai sad-excuse-for-ketchup. I've even been to a place where the cheap stuff had been filled in Heinz bottles! <br /><br />The original Dukes has the 99 Baht - the night bazaar branch doesn't. <br /><br />Anyway - loving Duke's burgers; but just as with any Thai business, quality varies a bit day to day.<br />

Never had a bad meal at the Dukes.

Dave makes sure the quality does not vary at all.

I wouldn't call it a Thai business at all. Only the fact it's in Thailand.

Then why are they the ONLY restaurant that serves only slightly warm french fries ? :bah:

The Monkey House. :(

Does anyone know when his trial is?

I don't know the fellow but I ran into some other fellows who apparently do. It is my understanding that he pled guilty to whatever he was charged with and was sentenced to 16 years and is currently in gaol in Mae Rim. I don't know if that sentence is the 50% off sentence one gets for confessing and pleading guilty or if his true sentence is 50% of that. Not good in any case.

I don't know the fellow but I ran into some other fellows who apparently do. It is my understanding that he pled guilty to whatever he was charged with and was sentenced to 16 years and is currently in gaol in Mae Rim. I don't know if that sentence is the 50% off sentence one gets for confessing and pleading guilty or if his true sentence is 50% of that. Not good in any case.

Thanks for the update. 16 years is a long time. Maybe some day I'll go by and visit. I wonder what the disposition of his wife/girlfriend's case was?

I hope they make them flatter and wider like BK .

Good plan

It is going to be hard to not find a good burger with three Dukes and a burger king here on the east side of the old city.

Sorry but what has "Burger King" got to do with a good burger? They are almost as bad as Mikes greasy offerings - Duke's burgers are excellent on the other hand, there is no comparison.

I thought the TV community had decided that the burgers at Sahara (Nimmanhaemin Road) were the best in town?

That's a very good burger, especially since they like to pile the grilled onions on, and it's a very nice setting too. Like WTK I think the UN Irish Pub has an excellent burger but I just don't feel like driving into the city all the time.

You'd prefer that he was still out there, selling dope?

All very off topic too, this is about burgers, not drugs.

........"Start with generous amounts of quality Thai beef".......cheesy.gif

Your response leads me to believe that you have not seen good local quality beef, which is more than adequate. Especially for a *burger*! For example the Thai-French stuff, available at Rim Ping.

Interesting factoid: 85% percent of people who put in a reply comprised only of a :cheesy: laughing smiley just end up looking like complete tools.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

If they make burger and fries like they do at the main branch yeah.

I hope they make them flatter and wider like BK .

Good plan

It is going to be hard to not find a good burger with three Dukes and a burger king here on the east side of the old city.

Sorry but what has "Burger King" got to do with a good burger? They are almost as bad as Mikes greasy offerings - Duke's burgers are excellent on the other hand, there is no comparison.

BK is much better than Mike's and not greasy at all,...and although Dukes uses fresh ingredients I do not like them because they are simply to thick, i tried compressing the burger with my palm and got a handful of grease, bottom bun gets soggy, bacon is too chewy to bite off and everything falls out, the beef patty is too thick and causes it to be a tough textured burger because of the longer cooking time required resulting in less tasty meat.

BK has texture from all ingredients spot on and doesnt fall apart allowing you to enjoy every bite with every ingredient in the burger at the same time. Plus i can buy two Whoppers for the price of one at Dukes, at won't look like a slob trying to eat it with my hands.

If Dukes made them flatter and wider with the same meat content, it could be a winner. :jap:

Edited by KRS1

,...and although Dukes uses fresh ingredients I do not like them because they are simply to thick, i tried compressing the burger with my palm and got a handful of grease, bottom bun gets soggy, bacon is too chewy to bite off and everything falls out, the beef patty is too thick and causes it to be a tough textured burger because of the longer cooking time required resulting in less tasty meat.

Thank you for telling me why I don't like The Dukes hambugers- really :)

You'd prefer that he was still out there, selling dope?

All very off topic too, this is about burgers, not drugs.

Where exactly did you glean that from? He was merely relaying the information he's heard. However, I'm pretty sure there is a large number of people who would prefer that.

How is it off topic? Bob ran a burger bar. And dam_n tasty burgers me made too. I for one miss the philly cheese steak with chilli on top.

BK has texture from all ingredients spot on and doesnt fall apart allowing you to enjoy every bite with every ingredient in the burger at the same time. Plus i can buy two Whoppers for the price of one at Dukes, at won't look like a slob trying to eat it with my hands.

If Dukes made them flatter and wider with the same meat content, it could be a winner. :jap:

My wife and I had Whoppers last evening having read how great they are on ThaiVisa. 2 Whoppers and 2 large fries for 410 baht. I admit the Whopper did stay in it's bun, but the meat was only 1/4 thick so I guess that's nothing to brag about. Dukes is a big juicy burger, nothing like the dinky Whopper paddy, and I clearly remember they sell for 99 baht, cheaper than one Whopper, much less two, as you state. On the whole, the Whopper did taste good and there were a lot of fries, I'll give you that.

BK is much better than Mike's and not greasy at all,...

BK vs the Duke's .... you have got to be joking... :blink: :blink: Come on. BK is a hair better than McDs but that's about it. It's heavily processed artificial food with all sorts of additives. Spray-On Charcoal Grill taste - YUM! At the end of a BK burger you can kind of taste that too... blergh...

And they charge you 50 baht for a teeny tiny itty bitty portion of fries (clearly so they can better upsell the "combos", showing you how much you saved.... just brilliant). I think even the King-super size fries is way less than you get at the Duke's for no extra money. Oh did I mention BK fries are disgusting?

It is true that the Duke's burgers are on the large side, which is why I really like the smallest one, the 99 Baht burger at the old location only. That's a good sized but not overly huge burger.

BK == pay way more for worse quality and worse taste... no competition there.

Edited by nikster

How about a Philly Cheesesteak? Start with generous amounts of quality Thai beef (trimmed of all fat, sliced very thin), onions, cheese, cooked with good olive oil, on toasted Italian bread from Fornaio Bakery? 6-inch (60 baht); 10-inch (100 baht). Sounds good, right? So where can we get one in Chiang Mai?

Also, anybody know where you can get a nice big bowl of kwetiao nuea-sot (fresh beef, noodle soup); or Vietnamese soup ("feo/pho")? Must use quality sliced beef, not chewy, not fatty! 40-50 baht per bowl.

Don't know of any good pho places in that area, but if you are willing to make the drive out to Meechok Plaza, there is a really good place called Pho Siagon. Best Pho I've had in Thailand and the fried Viet spring rolls are great.

-Mestizo

Thanks for the update. 16 years is a long time. Maybe some day I'll go by and visit. I wonder what the disposition of his wife/girlfriend's case was?

If somebody does go visit, please let us know. The conversations I had with Bob in his restaurant were always enjoyable (as was the food). I recall him as being pretty well read. So if someone is going, I'd love to donate some English-based reading materials to him and a bit of baht for this commissary fund.

Thanks,

-Mestizo

My wife and I had Whoppers last evening having read how great they are on ThaiVisa. 2 Whoppers and 2 large fries for 410 baht. I admit the Whopper did stay in it's bun, but the meat was only 1/4 thick so I guess that's nothing to brag about. Dukes is a big juicy burger, nothing like the dinky Whopper paddy, and I clearly remember they sell for 99 baht, cheaper than one Whopper, much less two, as you state. On the whole, the Whopper did taste good and there were a lot of fries, I'll give you that.

I remember the Duke burger cost around 230 baht and was not juicy at all, maybe all the juice got soaked up by the bottom bun.

BK is much better than Mike's and not greasy at all,...

BK vs the Duke's .... you have got to be joking... :blink: :blink: Come on. BK is a hair better than McDs but that's about it. It's heavily processed artificial food with all sorts of additives. Spray-On Charcoal Grill taste - YUM! At the end of a BK burger you can kind of taste that too... blergh...

And they charge you 50 baht for a teeny tiny itty bitty portion of fries (clearly so they can better upsell the "combos", showing you how much you saved.... just brilliant). I think even the King-super size fries is way less than you get at the Duke's for no extra money. Oh did I mention BK fries are disgusting?

It is true that the Duke's burgers are on the large side, which is why I really like the smallest one, the 99 Baht burger at the old location only. That's a good sized but not overly huge burger.

BK == pay way more for worse quality and worse taste... no competition there.

Charcoal spray? The patties are flamed broiled. Some may hate them, but i love BK onion rings ! (even though they're fake)

I never get BK FF's...MD owns that hands down.

Allright, the spray on taste is apparently a myth - I Googled around a bit. Maybe they did it at some point, or whatever, but they don't do it anymore.

Nevertheless, it's just an average Fast Food joint, with quality and taste to match. Brrrrrrr... again McD's &lt;deleted&gt; are marginally better than BKs but hold no candle to the real thing at the Duke's...

<br />
<br /> Dukes. <br /><br />I wouldn't call it a Thai business at all. Only the fact it's in Thailand.<br /><br />
<br /><br />Not sure you are giving his wife due credit for her large role in managing it.<br />
<br />Ok, and Daves wife too, happy?<br />Truth is ,it wouldn't be i the success it is without Dave. Fact. Edited by DaamNaam

How about a Philly Cheesesteak? Start with generous amounts of quality Thai beef (trimmed of all fat, sliced very thin), onions, cheese, cooked with good olive oil, on toasted Italian bread from Fornaio Bakery? 6-inch (60 baht); 10-inch (100 baht). Sounds good, right? So where can we get one in Chiang Mai?

Also, anybody know where you can get a nice big bowl of kwetiao nuea-sot (fresh beef, noodle soup); or Vietnamese soup ("feo/pho")? Must use quality sliced beef, not chewy, not fatty! 40-50 baht per bowl.

Don't know of any good pho places in that area, but if you are willing to make the drive out to Meechok Plaza, there is a really good place called Pho Siagon. Best Pho I've had in Thailand and the fried Viet spring rolls are great.

-Mestizo

After seeing your message, I got hungry for some Pho, so I went out and bought some Pho and Spring Rolls at Pho Saigon...

Best I've had in Thailand, Thank you :)