New Dukes Burger Bar

Maejo Man

Was in today had a hot dog. Good hot dog all beef. Not a big fan of the buns. Mom always used white bread.

I liked the menu because the fries were not included in the burgers and the price reflected it.

I disliked the menu because the fries were not included in the burgers and who cares about the price for great fries.

Mai kow jai mak mak! Do the burgers come with fries (chips) or not? and were you pleased with this or not? Were the burgers good value or not?

I was about the go and kin one for myself but now very confussed mak mak.

I'd never eaten at Duke's before and after reading this thread I went over to the new place. It looked like the bosses were running around, maybe preparing the place next door...a lot of people in and out running into the back. I think he put a new manager to work while I was there.

Anyway I ordered the 1/4 pounder with cheese which came with a 1/4 cut pickle and a small order of fries. The burger was simply delicious. I am particular about burgers so asked for no sauce and instead put some brown mustard from the counter on. I was a little wary from the descriptions here about the patty being too large but this was fine (the smallest burger they have I think) although the lettuce, tomatoes and onions did a lot of sliding around, something kind of expect from a good burger.

The fries were a revelation. fresh cut and perfectly fried, I assume twice. In the end I couldn't eat all of the fries so If I return with the girlfriend we'll split a small order.

There was one thing that bothered me and I'm hoping this was a case of a new cook and not normal practice. The cook was trying to turn over a patty on the grill and put his bare finger on it to steady it. It was a chicken patty so I cringed for the guy who was going to be eating that burger. Then he flipped a hamburger patty and did the same thing. Then another and yes there was that finger digging into the meat. I try to be forgiving of different standards in other countries but that's a pretty bad habit and I hope he gets over it fast.

Anyway, great stuff!

Oh, the burger with cheese was 80 baht and small fries 40 baht but when I paid the bill they charged me 125. I had a glass of water so I guess they charged me for that.

Edited by beb

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, the burger with cheese was 80 baht and small fries 40 baht but when I paid the bill they charged me 125. I had a glass of water so I guess they charged me for that.

Funny, on my menu, it said 80B for the cheeseburger, 45B for small fries and I was charged 120B. I pointed out that it should be 125B and they adjusted accordingly - no thanks.

My highlight of the place was the male chef doing the burgers. Had a bit of an Italian temper on him, kept snapping at his boss (female). Was very amusing to watch.

Anyway, 1:30am is good. 2am would be better. 3am would be fantastic

Do you eat anything at daytime, are you awake at daytaime? Yes I know it can be exciting to be out at nighttime, but that was about 45 years ago. Still remember we had new flashlights and all.

Funny, on my menu, it said 80B for the cheeseburger, 45B for small fries and I was charged 120B. I pointed out that it should be 125B and they adjusted accordingly - no thanks.

My highlight of the place was the male chef doing the burgers. Had a bit of an Italian temper on him, kept snapping at his boss (female). Was very amusing to watch.

ah, maybe it was 45b for the fries. My mistake.

Anyway, 1:30am is good. 2am would be better. 3am would be fantastic

Do you eat anything at daytime, are you awake at daytaime? Yes I know it can be exciting to be out at nighttime, but that was about 45 years ago. Still remember we had new flashlights and all.

Yes, I eat during the day time. And yes, I'm awake in the day time. Some of do hold down full time jobs. The night time excitement didn't diminish, you just let yourself get old. Hopefully 45 years from now, when I get to be your age, I pray that I still get enjoy being out at night as much as I do now.

Cheers,

Mestizo

Yes, I eat during the day time. And yes, I'm awake in the day time. Some of do hold down full time jobs. The night time excitement didn't diminish, you just let yourself get old. Hopefully 45 years from now, when I get to be your age, I pray that I still get enjoy being out at night as much as I do now.

Good luck with that. wink.png

Cheers,

Mestizo

Good to hear that you eat and are awake at daytime, you got me worried there for awhile. smile.png

How are they on "to-go" orders? would be nice to have a place that close! I like the idea of not having to leave the moat at night and dealing with the drunk drivers!

I stopped by there today. Didn't have time to eat as I was very busy so ordered "glaap baan". Ordered the Joes Famous burger. I also ordered a large order of fries to share with my kid. I watched them prepare the food which they did very carefully and they packed it up very well also. The fries were great, really, and my 2 year old loved them too! It was about 70 minutes before I had a chance to try the burger and I was surprised that it was still a little warm even then. It was really tasty. But it was too much. Next time I'll order one the smaller burgers as it was just too much food.

A big thumbs up for the Dukes Burger Bar.

Stopped in last night before they closed. My review:

Service - Little bit poorer than expected. One girl was sitting on the customer side of the counter working on what appeared to be homework. The other 2 girls and 1 guy stood around chatting. Nobody greeted me when I walked in. Even after I picked up the menu and prepared to order, nobody acknowledged my existence. Finally the guy decided to walk around to the other side of the counter and take my order. Not a huge deal, but expected more based on the level of professionalism always shown by the staff of the Dukes branch next to the river. I believe the time of day might also have something to do with it. New, unsupervised staff, working alone at night. Most likely, over time the lazy staff will be weeded out and overall service will improve.

Food - I had a Cajun Burger and fries. Burger was pretty great! Excellent tasting beef and not overly greasy. The homecut french fries were also really, really good. Cooked to perfection with the right amount of crispiness The fries were perhaps even better than the Original Dukes.

Menu - The menu could use a bit of work. For instance, the Cajun Burger said that comes with "Roasted Hot Sauce"... I think that is actually meant to be Roasted Onions (which were actually more grilled than roasted). Another minor complaint, is that from looking at the menu, it appears that you need to order side items separately (fries, pickle, etc). So, I ordered a side pickle (20THB), only to discover that the burger actually comes with a side pickle and the pickle I ordered was actually a cup of sliced pickles. Anyway, the pickles are also pretty good so I just carried them to eat later. Main point is that some additional clarity on the menu would be good.

Opening Hours - Next to the door there is a printed paper sign saying 10am - 2am . At the top of the menu, it says "Open Late", but then at the bottom of the menu, it says "Open 24 Hours". When I previously tried to visit at 1:30am, they had already stopped serving and were cleaning up. In my opinion, the listed closing time should be the time when they stop serving. The cleaning and restaurant shutdown should happen AFTER closing. Anyway, 1:30am is good. 2am would be better. 3am would be fantastic (and would be ideal to truly compete with Mikes) and 24 hours would be a Godsend. But whatever the chosen closing time is, making it more clear would be great.

Overall, great and very welcome addition to the Chiang Mai food selection. Especially for late-night, post-party foodies like myself! Definitely will be getting alot of business from me and will be recommending to others as well.

-Mestizo

Good review, thanks!

I have been twice.

First time they forgot my fries but charged me. Honest mistake I think.

Second time, both fryers were broken so I couldn't have any fries or wings.

Milkshakes have never been available yet.

Overall, great burger, well cooked and juicy...but I can't comment on the fries or shakes.

I did drop by the other night and Dave was locking the doors. I said "I thought Dukes was open 24 hours". He said "Yes, but not in a row".

Go figure.

Went there today, I ordered the 1/4 pound burger, fries and ice tea, no ice tea available, nam soda? mai mee.... ok water. The burger was ok, just a burger but for 70 baht, no complaint. The fries thin cut so crisp, rather tasteless, not impressed. My friend ordered a chicken sandwich, no chicken today..... very young and cute, shy staff, but arent burgers supposed to be flipped by teenagers? yes they are, good to give jobs to kids...and they cooked well these nondemanding foods.

Will order to go next time for my monthly burger fix,

I have been twice.

First time they forgot my fries but charged me. Honest mistake I think.

Second time, both fryers were broken so I couldn't have any fries or wings.

Milkshakes have never been available yet.

Overall, great burger, well cooked and juicy...but I can't comment on the fries or shakes.

I did drop by the other night and Dave was locking the doors. I said "I thought Dukes was open 24 hours". He said "Yes, but not in a row".

:lol: !!!! Sense of humor: Priceless!

I decided to give the new place a try last night. Went about 8:30 PM. The staff, albeit a bit shy, greeted me and took my order. I ordered a burger and small fries to go. That;s when I noticed the fryer was either turned off, or down, to where the oil was too cool to cook the fries without absorbing a lot of oil in the process. None the less the fries went into the basket and the girl turned up the dial to reheat the oil. The burger sat in the box getting cold while the fries sucked up a liter of cooking oil. Fifteen minutes later the fries were placed in a brown paper bag and off I went. Needless to say the bag was completely soaked with oil when I got home (5 minutes) and the burger was cold. As a previous poster commented, the burger was, by my standards, a good burger, the bun had a good texture and flavor. The fries were thrown out. Usually David reads TV and I hope he has a chance to talk with the owner of the new restaurant. It may cost a little more money to keep the oil hot enough to cook the fries correctly (190 C.) but it;s worth it when the customer is satisfied.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i went by here for the first time last night. I was less than impressed. Burger was overcooked and small, bacon was burnt beyond belief. The fries must have been sitting around for a while and just heated up, cause they were stale. The lemonade was good for two glasses then the third glass tasted like shit.

I've had burgers at the resturant at the night market a couple years ago and thought they were good. I won't be going back here though. Whoever owns this place needs to have a talk with whoever is working on their night shift. This is pretty much the reason whenever i want a burger i just go to mcdonalds, i know there i won't be getting some half assed shit.

You can watch them cook the boiga n' bakin' so when you think it is done you can tell them "suk leow" and so not overcooked. I have been there now more times than I expected... late night munchies, really friendly bunch of staff.

Whoever owns this place needs to have a talk with whoever is working on their night shift

150 Baht /night is not enough to employ a chef.

So you need a chef to cook hamburgers and hot dogs?

Don't know what you need but- " Burger was overcooked and small, bacon was burnt beyond belief. The fries must have been sitting around for a while and just heated up" surely calls for an upgrade, don't you think?

Well I ate at the new Dukes burgers tonight. Huge serving of fries @ 45 bt. which seem to be dipped in rice flour before frying. Burger was lean, not greasy, maybe a bit bland,, but you can add your own sauces to your taste. And there are more exotic offerings avaliable. Beats the greasy spoon across the road hands down. The only time I ate there, well i didnt, one mouthfull and I was off. I am not sure what is happening with the rest of the corner, maybe more Dukes, maybe a Vegan resturant.

Cheers,

DrF

I will have to try it next time. I always hear good things about any Dukes place

but have never been

I am usually in Chiang Mai only a couple of months a year so

usually I don't get the urge for burgers etc. since it is plentiful back home

in the US.

In fact I tend to stay away from all beef in Thailand because usually I am disappointed

in comparison to what I am used to. Chicken & Pork great though in Thailand.

For some reason on this last trip Nov/Dec I was driving by Burger King & thought

what the heck I wanted to try it & see if it was like back home.

I was surprised at how good it was.....Actually I would say better than back home.

Burger patties tasted the same (double cheeseburger) but were seemingly a bit thicker?

The fries were way better...I think because they seem to not have many customers & they

cook them when you order them. But overall I was very surprised by the whole meal being

so good.

As far as no customers.....I guess it would be considered pricey in Thailand? I don't know.....

189 baht I think it was for the meal deal. (dbl cheeseburger/fries/drink) Basically same price as the US

5-6 bucks

I will have to try it next time. I always hear good things about any Dukes place

but have never been

I am usually in Chiang Mai only a couple of months a year so

usually I don't get the urge for burgers etc. since it is plentiful back home

in the US.

In fact I tend to stay away from all beef in Thailand because usually I am disappointed

in comparison to what I am used to. Chicken & Pork great though in Thailand.

For some reason on this last trip Nov/Dec I was driving by Burger King & thought

what the heck I wanted to try it & see if it was like back home.

I was surprised at how good it was.....Actually I would say better than back home.

Burger patties tasted the same (double cheeseburger) but were seemingly a bit thicker?

The fries were way better...I think because they seem to not have many customers & they

cook them when you order them. But overall I was very surprised by the whole meal being

so good.

As far as no customers.....I guess it would be considered pricey in Thailand? I don't know.....

189 baht I think it was for the meal deal. (dbl cheeseburger/fries/drink) Basically same price as the US

5-6 bucks

re Burger King -- "As far as no customers.....I guess it would be considered pricey in Thailand? I don't know.....

5-6 bucks"

I think most Thais would consider 189B "pricey". And for 50 baht more you could get an entree at Chez Marco or the full Italian Buffet at Why Not. But if you'd prefer BK, that's your choice. Enjoy!

As for Duke's Burger Bar, I was there for the opening party. All I'll say is there's no chance that I'll be back.

Today I went back with my visiting gf. I wanted her to try what I remembered as a great burger at a decent price. But after seeing all the negative comments here I was a little worried that the quality had gone off the rails. The first time I went the burger was superb and at the price for a 1/4 lb cheeseburger and fries, a good deal to me. It seemed to be one of the first days opening and the managers/owners were swarming all over the place so I was worried that everybody was trying extra hard that day.

Well, today wasn't quite as good, the meat wasn't as juicy and the fries were just a touch over cooked but still the best burger/fries meal I've had in CM.

The GF had a steak sandwich, which kind of dumbfounded me since I had taken her there for the burgers, but it was great as well even if it was twice the price of the burger.

When the bill came it seemed off and I realized that they had forgotten to charge for the fries. My conscious got the best of me so I pointed it out to the waiter. dam_n, for that 45 baht I could have bought another half of a burger.