New Dukes Burger Bar

Maejo Man

I was there today burger was good, fries the best as ever. Did'nt see the shy girl other folks were talking about only some muscular guys. Only thing that I wanted coke with it as I hate that chemical Ice tea that come with the set and it tasted funny.

Edited by ARISTIDE

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most Thais would consider 189B "pricey". And for 50 baht more you could get an entree at Chez Marco or the full Italian Buffet at Why Not. But if you'd prefer BK, that's your choice. Enjoy!

Yes I think it would be considered pricey for the reasons you mentioned.

As for preferring BK.....nah....like I said it was out of curiosity that I went in.

Even back home we rarely eat at burger joints & when we do it is drive thru because we are in a rush or it is late.

I think you're confusing soup broths. Noodle shops generally have their signature broth (e.g., "kwetiao ruea' broth). The customer can then indicate "nuea sot," "nuea tun," etc. and "sen-lek," "sen-yai," etc.

If you're ordering tom-yam kung, by contrast, you can indicate "nam sai" (clear broth) or "nam khon" (with namphrik phao).

The beef used in Thai noodle soups and Vietnamese soup ("pho" - pronounced "feu") in Thailand is notoriously chewy, fatty, with lots of gristle, tendon, etc. - uggghhhh! The key to a nice tender beef soup in Thailand is to select quality cuts of local Thai beef (read "more expensive"), carefully trim off all fat, tendon, etc., then beat the hell out of it with a hammer, slice it very thin (tissue thin), before dropping it into the hot broth. The great-tasting Vietnamese noodle soup in Northern Virginia (USA) are made with flank steak beef and machine-sliced very thin. Yum!!!

Can anyone please tell me which noodle shops (Thai and Vietnamese) in Chiang Mai use tender, lean beef in their soups? I am prepared to pay double or triple for such a bowl of noodles! Thanks.

Can anyone please tell me which noodle shops (Thai and Vietnamese) in Chiang Mai use tender, lean beef in their soups? I am prepared to pay double or triple for such a bowl of noodles! Thanks.

Mei Jiang (Chiang Mai Land) comes to mind. It's Hong Kong style though. It's towards the end of CM Land road close to Aom Muang. (On the left when coming from Aom Muang)

For a cheap but good stewed beef noodle shop I like the place on the Middle Ring in between the new and the old Sangkamphaeng Road. Just after a U-turn and a little before the turn-off to the Oriental Dhara Dhevi hotel.

The above are both stewed; for fresh beef I don't have a recommendation.

Try เนื้อวัวรสเยี่ยม opposite the Shangrila for the Thai style

I think you're confusing soup broths. Noodle shops generally have their signature broth (e.g., "kwetiao ruea' broth). The customer can then indicate "nuea sot," "nuea tun," etc. and "sen-lek," "sen-yai," etc.

If you're ordering tom-yam kung, by contrast, you can indicate "nam sai" (clear broth) or "nam khon" (with namphrik phao).

The beef used in Thai noodle soups and Vietnamese soup ("pho" - pronounced "feu") in Thailand is notoriously chewy, fatty, with lots of gristle, tendon, etc. - uggghhhh! The key to a nice tender beef soup in Thailand is to select quality cuts of local Thai beef (read "more expensive"), carefully trim off all fat, tendon, etc., then beat the hell out of it with a hammer, slice it very thin (tissue thin), before dropping it into the hot broth. The great-tasting Vietnamese noodle soup in Northern Virginia (USA) are made with flank steak beef and machine-sliced very thin. Yum!!!

Many a hangovers have been cured by Pho75 in Falls Church and Pho 99 in Herndon.. The only place in Chiang Mai that I found that I liked, is Pho Siagon in Meechok Plaza (next door to the fish and chips place). Its very similar to the pho I learned to love so much back in NoVA. While I have not personally had the beef (I always get chicken), my girlfriend had the beef and it looked pretty clean from across the table. By clean, I mean without all the fat and other crap. The fried spring rolls are also pretty decent there as well.

-Mestizo

From 6 pages of Dukes burger shop to Burger King to Vietnamese food and for that matter Vietnamese food in North Virginia USA????

Only on TV.

Edit: I didn't know there was a "North Virginia". I thought it was West Virginia? And what are the Vietnamese doing all the way over there? I thought they all got off the boat in Orange County, California.

Edited by elektrified
  • Like 1

Oh man I can tell you of a GREAT place

Rot Yiam

Sorry I may have the spelling wrong

It is about 100 yards before Riders Corner

Inside on the wall it reads Best Quality Beef in Chiang Mai or something to that effect.

Thin sliced excellent beef...no fat/bone etc

Delicious & not expensive at all

roughly 112 THB for two folks & beverage

Super clean place

I always order sen lek nua sod

Just the thin noodles/beef & a little beansprouts/green veggies like watercress/pak boong

You will not be sorry

On this map I put an X where they are

The red marker is Riders Corner

post-51988-0-49561900-1326693439_thumb.j

Edited by flying

From 6 pages of Dukes burger shop to Burger King to Vietnamese food and for that matter Vietnamese food in North Virginia USA????

Only on TV.

Edit: I didn't know there was a "North Virginia". I thought it was West Virginia? And what are the Vietnamese doing all the way over there? I thought they all got off the boat in Orange County, California.

You forgot the noodle shops.

One of the most affluent areas in the US. Also very demographically diverse. Asians compose 12.5% of the population.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Virginia

-Mestizo

Review

So today I decided to give the new Duke’s a try, since I skipped breakfast and had a craving for burgers.

As I couldn’t find the address on the 1st or last 2 pages of this thread, I decided to drive by MoonMuang. I drove until soi 9 and still couldn’t see it, then I remembered that I had read that it’s supposed to be across the street from Mike’s .

That’s the only way to find it, actually. It’s a small place at the intersection of MoonMuang and Rajawithi streets. The sign for Duke’s Burger is obscured by a much bigger, vertical purple sign which says “Dental”.

I asked for the Cajun burger with fries, however the girl was doing a sale pitch for their promotional offer of ¼ pounder bacon cheese +fries+drink for 150 baht.

I had read that the lemonade is good , so I said ok, I’ll have the special offer with the lemonade, which also mentioned “Refill”.

“No have lemonade today”.

I had read not so nice things about the ice tea (which turned out to be accurate), but I decided to try it anyways.

I waited outside for about 15 min until the food arrived.

There was no cutlery on the table, so when they brought the food I was wondering whether I’m supposed to eat it with the hands or not? Either way I decided to go inside and ask for a fork.

The fries were only a handful and looked and tasted like leftovers from the previous day.

Burned at the edges, orange-brown, oily and crunchy like old bread.

But I was hungry so I ate them anyway…

The beef patty seemed to be good quality, tasted ok.

The ice tea was worse than any McDonalds drink I had, I could only have a few sips.

At this point I was a bit pissed off, but still somewhat hungry so I decided to try some other stuff from the menu…

I asked for the “Homemade potato chips” at 45 baht.

The girl says that they don’t really have it yet, but eventually they will.( why is it on the menu then? ).

I ask instead for the Polish Sausage for 95 baht, which surprisingly they do have.

The girl asks me about fries, at which I first say no, thank you. But then I see there are some fries next to the grill which look nicer and golden, so I decide to try my luck again.

The second round was completely different.

The Polish sausage looks really nice with its grilled peppers and onion topping; it tastes reasonably good as well.

The small portion of fries was actually huge this time – I thought they might have brought the 80 baht large portion – it came in a half full basket , about 3 times bigger than on the first order.

While they looked better, they were still not very tasty, probably from yesterday as well, but not quite as burned as the first round .

Total cost – 290 baht. The fries were priced as a small portion.

So, in order to avoid another similar experience next time…

1. Most food threads I see are not that positive, however this place had mostly good reviews. Why?

I was expecting a western style service/ quality, considering the price and reviews. Instead I was treated to a bad thai experience at western prices.

Woody’s was better the only time I tried them, and Mike’s was worse for the burgers but better for the fries. The steak place at the corner of Moonmuang soi 9 had decent size steaks, burgers and fries for a lower price.

What makes this place worth the money?(serious question, not trying to bash the place).

2. Is there any time of the day when I’d have better chances for the fries to be fresh and the lemonade available? I was there at 3.30pm

3.While waiting for the second round, two Thais and a farang show up, with some papers and discussing the layout of the building. They asked to see the restrooms at which point the man showed them inside.

The foreigner was a very large man, probably American judging from the accent. About 195cm/ 6’5’’ tall , heavy build, light brown hair, wearing a baseball cap and sporting big mutton chops.

Was he the owner? In case someone knows him in person, does the owner care about improving the food quality /service ?

I’ve never been to the other Duke’s, but most people seem to have favorable impressions, e.g. all the ThaiVisa threads about burgers and ribs.

Review

So today I decided to give the new Duke’s a try, since I skipped breakfast and had a craving for burgers.

As I couldn’t find the address on the 1st or last 2 pages of this thread, I decided to drive by MoonMuang. I drove until soi 9 and still couldn’t see it, then I remembered that I had read that it’s supposed to be across the street from Mike’s .

That’s the only way to find it, actually. It’s a small place at the intersection of MoonMuang and Rajawithi streets. The sign for Duke’s Burger is obscured by a much bigger, vertical purple sign which says “Dental”.

I asked for the Cajun burger with fries, however the girl was doing a sale pitch for their promotional offer of ¼ pounder bacon cheese +fries+drink for 150 baht.

I had read that the lemonade is good , so I said ok, I’ll have the special offer with the lemonade, which also mentioned “Refill”.

I had read not so nice things about the ice tea (which turned out to be accurate), but I decided to try it anyways.

There was no cutlery on the table, so when they brought the food I was wondering whether I’m supposed to eat it with the hands or not? Either way I decided to go inside and ask for a fork.

The fries were only a handful and looked and tasted like leftovers from the previous day.

The ice tea was worse than any McDonalds drink I had, I could only have a few sips.

At this point I was a bit pissed off, but still somewhat hungry so I decided to try some other stuff from the menu…

The girl says that they don’t really have it yet, but eventually they will.( why is it on the menu then? ).

I ask instead for the Polish Sausage for 95 baht, which surprisingly they do have.

The girl asks me about fries, at which I first say no, thank you. But then I see there are some fries next to the grill which look nicer and golden, so I decide to try my luck again.

The Polish sausage looks really nice with its grilled peppers and onion topping; it tastes reasonably good as well.

The small portion of fries was actually huge this time – I thought they might have brought the 80 baht large portion – it came in a half full basket , about 3 times bigger than on the first order.

While they looked better, they were still not very tasty, probably from yesterday as well, but not quite as burned as the first round .

1. Most food threads I see are not that positive, however this place had mostly good reviews. Why?

I was expecting a western style service/ quality, considering the price and reviews. Instead I was treated to a bad thai experience at western prices.

Woody’s was better the only time I tried them, and Mike’s was worse for the burgers but better for the fries. The steak place at the corner of Moonmuang soi 9 had decent size steaks, burgers and fries for a lower price.

What makes this place worth the money?(serious question, not trying to bash the place).

2. Is there any time of the day when I’d have better chances for the fries to be fresh and the lemonade available? I was there at 3.30pm

3.While waiting for the second round, two Thais and a farang show up, with some papers and discussing the layout of the building. They asked to see the restrooms at which point the man showed them inside.

The foreigner was a very large man, probably American judging from the accent. About 195cm/ 6’5’’ tall , heavy build, light brown hair, wearing a baseball cap and sporting big mutton chops.

Was he the owner? In case someone knows him in person, does the owner care about improving the food quality /service ?

I’ve never been to the other Duke’s, but most people seem to have favorable impressions, e.g. all the ThaiVisa threads about burgers and ribs.

I like this post..... OP'er I think you have a good shot of making it doing stand up

You dis the place for a good size page with neg after neg, ....... then you see a guy who you think in the owner, but you don't ask if he is....... could it be that he was 6'-5" tall and heavily built....... you don't say a word to him, but you come on here and ask us to quiz the owner.....55555

For what its worth, it is my opinion that The Dukes is one of the 3 best places to eat in CM. Good Food, Good Value and very fair price for what you get...... The place is new. Give it a chance to settle in and in the mean time do yourself a favor and try one of the other locations..... I don't think you will be disappointed....

Welcome to the forum

G

Edited by Gonzo the Face

I tried it the other day.

Steak sandwich with mushrooms good.

French fries good.

Ice tea good.

Service good.

That sounds like the owner and he was wearing a baseball cap last time that I saw him, but I have never noticed the big mutton chops. He has a long pigtail in back, but it might be hidden by the hat.

jet-li-fearless.jpg

I like this post..... OP'er I think you have a good shot of making it doing stand up

Thanks G, it's always nice to have fans.

You dis the place for a good size page with neg after neg, ....... then you see a guy who you think in the owner, but you don't ask if he is....... could it be that he was 6'-5" tall and heavily built....... you don't say a word to him, but you come on here and ask us to quiz the owner.....55555

He was there for 30 sec and looked none too happy about the inquiries of the thai lady with the papers. I figured that was not the best time to start a conversation.

I'm sure however that you would have had no problem introducing yourself and complaining about the fries.

Yes, indeed I have sinned by "dissing the place for a good size page with neg after neg."

Please excuse me saying that

"The beef patty was good quality"

"I heard good things about the lemonade"

"The second round was completely different"

"The Polish sausage looked great with the toppings and tasted reasonably good as well"

"The small portion of fries( 2nd round) was huge"

For what its worth, it is my opinion that The Dukes is one of the 3 best places to eat in CM. Good Food, Good Value and very fair price for what you get...... The place is new. Give it a chance to settle in and in the mean time do yourself a favor and try one of the other locations..... I don't think you will be disappointed....

Awesome, that's what I like to read! - And in fact it was exactly such glowing, unsubstantiated reviews that got me interested in looking around for this place.

I will however try the main branch of the Duke's to see the difference. Maybe I'll try the ribs.

Welcome to the forum

G

Thanks again, G. I've been here for a while but a welcome is always nice.

Review

If you had been reading the posts here you would have heard all the negativity you reported. You should not be surprised. It is a Franchise and they are having a hard time to get every thing going rite. It will take time to get the staff up to the standards you will find at Dukes on the river.

The other day a friend and I stopped in and tried the quarter pounder and it was good. We were still hungry so we ordered another burger can't remember witch one but it was good. We both decided that the burger by itself was not enough and it needed fries to complete the meal.

As for the taste of the fries a lot of that depends on the potatoes they use. Myself I have always found them very tasty. Some times exceedingly so. Dave told me it all depended on the potatoes available then.

What you could do is get the burger from Dukes the fries from Mikes and nip around the corner to Mighty Mo's for his peanut butter shake and you would have the best of all worlds.

I thought the comments were well balanced and constructive. All that I ever ask for. Sometimes the negative can be more helpful than the positive and with a new place it helps to get the bugs out.

I am not the owner of the location and hopefully the owners are listening and learning and doing what they need to do to keep the customers coming back. It might also help when they open Loco Elvis next door.

D

I thought the comments were well balanced and constructive. All that I ever ask for. Sometimes the negative can be more helpful than the positive and with a new place it helps to get the bugs out.

I am not the owner of the location and hopefully the owners are listening and learning and doing what they need to do to keep the customers coming back. It might also help when they open Loco Elvis next door.

D

That this is a franchise and not directly owned by the real Duke has been obvious for some time. Experience tells. Let's hope that fries, service, and everything are fetched up to a Duke's standard soon - unreliabilty is a killer in the restaurant business. I've had far better luck at Mighty Mo's, because (I believe) there is a direct connection with the owner, a continuity.

I tried the Moon Muang location for the first time yesterday afternoon. I ordered the top burger on the list, I don't remember the name but I think it's their signature burger. It was big, messy, overflowing with bacon and mushrooms, difficult to eat and very tasty. I also got the small order of fries, which was huge, easily two to three times the size of a large order at McDonalds. Dukes is now at the top of my list when I want a big, tasty burger.

The ultimate review. Below.

I finally made it into the Dukes Burger Booth this evening. I went in really wanting to like dislike the place; after all it's almost next door to a super Thai bar / restaurant called the Kafe, which does superb Thai food and pretty good Western food, all very affordable.

Sadly, I was dissappointed in my goal of disliking the place. The staff were friendly, the service good, the burger was excellent, the chilled, crispy lettuce was phenomenal, the bread did it's job expertly: much better than the typical fast-food mush, yet restrained enough to know it's supporting role in the overal concerto.

And then the price.. 80 baht for a quarterpounder with cheese. This is the stuff of legends. In 2037 we will recall the good old days, when a terrific burger could be had for 80 baht at Dukes, at almost any hour of the day and night. Served in the styrofoamiest of boxes, back when styrofoam was still legal. But I digress.

If they keep this up and increase speed and routine they may well end up in the in the League of Chiang Mai Culinary Institutions. 'Duke's Burgers' will be mentioned in the same breath as Lamduan's Khao Soi, Kiart Ocha's Chicken Rice, Chang Phuak's Pork Leg, and Wikun's Chinese steamed buns.

Only because any self-respecting reviewer absolutely needs to find some weakness I could add that the pickle, while big and fresh, could have been... I don't know.. picklyer. wink.png

Three out of three thumbs up. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Ate there last week after reading all about it. I thought the fries were great. Got the Cajun burger which I thought was pretty poor. Where was the Cajun taste.. Overall impression is the about the same as the Dukes main restaurant. They do a couple of things really well, and the rest is ok. Most people however go raving about the Dukes being the best like it is their whole menu that is amazing when it is not, just a couple of items. I will go back and eat at their burger bar again but in no great rush. Mind you I said that about the Dukes as well and that is over 3 years ago.

I now expect to get beaten down by al the Dukes lovers on here but that's ok keep on believing and eating what you like. Just remember there are people here who have a different point of view to you, and my opinion is just as valid as any of yours.

Overall impression is the about the same as the Dukes main restaurant. They do a couple of things really well, and the rest is ok. Most people however go raving about the Dukes being the best like it is their whole menu that is amazing when it is not, just a couple of items.

That is pretty much the same in any restaurant anywhere including some very good ones. San Francisco has amazing restaurants, but when I lived there I would usually try a new place and find one item or two items that I really liked on the menu and stick to those dishes.

I agree that everything on the Duke's menu (and every other restaurant in town) is not great, but we are very lucky to have them around. If one does not want to eat there that is their choice, but I can't think of any place in Chiang Mai that is much better for a similar price.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Ate there last week after reading all about it. I thought the fries were great. Got the Cajun burger which I thought was pretty poor. Where was the Cajun taste.. Overall impression is the about the same as the Dukes main restaurant. They do a couple of things really well, and the rest is ok. Most people however go raving about the Dukes being the best like it is their whole menu that is amazing when it is not, just a couple of items. I will go back and eat at their burger bar again but in no great rush. Mind you I said that about the Dukes as well and that is over 3 years ago.

I now expect to get beaten down by al the Dukes lovers on here but that's ok keep on believing and eating what you like. Just remember there are people here who have a different point of view to you, and my opinion is just as valid as any of yours.

I am a Dukes supporter.

But as you say the whole menu is not for me there are items there that I just don't like and it has nothing to do with the restaurant. There are items there I really like and I will praise them that does not mean they are a item you would praise. Items you like I might not that does not make them no good.

I am a big burger fan but I agree with you on the Cajun burger it is just not my idea of a Cajun taste.

There is one thing almost every one overlooks and that is the quality of the food. Dukes does not skimp on the price if it is cheaper but inferior they will not buy it.

For my self it is the best value. The quality is good and a meal is not a snack it is a meal.

Note to Duke OR Mike: Please come to Phitsanulok!

Enjoyed a burger there a few weeks ago and the owner of Dukes was there helping out. It is a fnachise so if you want one buy a franchise. The cook was the cook from Mikes and even though owned by farangs it is still manned by Thais who need traing on a daily basis

I have been here a few times and was impressed on my first visit,but the quality has been dropping each return. On my last visit I had to wonder why I have never seen the owner onsite and giving much needed training his staff - it was a gong-show with burnt burgers and mixed-up orders all the while the young and polite staff falling over each other.

All I could taste was burnt cow in the bun and all the burgers on the grill were heading in the same direction. I will give this place a long miss until they get there poop-in-a-group.

My next burger craving I will go back to Riders Corner for the homemade and down home quality.

Went to Dukes Burgers today for a take out order, burger & dog were good but they forgot the mustard.

Do fries come with every burger or hot dog order? Because i did not get any.

Can someone check what the 1/4 with cheese and a Chicago Hotdog cost? My bill came to 175 baht, and this doesn't sound right.