New Dukes Burger Bar

Maejo Man

Had a chat with the manager of the new Dukes Burger bar today and he tells me that he hopes to have the burger side open later this month, with the restaurant part opening in November, It's on the opposite side of the klong to Mike's Burgers, and not far down from Woody's Burgers!! Too many choices, or smart business?

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they make burger and fries like they do at the main branch yeah.

I hope they make them flatter and wider like BK .

Good plan

It is going to be hard to not find a good burger with three Dukes and a burger king here on the east side of the old city.

Dave2 again with the picture! incredible! Are you a photojournalist? Or just a wannabe? ;)

Is the restaurant going to occupy the whole corner unit then? Pretty prime real estate, to be fair. Must cost a pretty penny, surely reflected in the food prices.

Can't comment on Woody's burger, but Mike's is absolutely appalling junk. And no matter how hungry I might be, there's no "food" to be had in 7/11. Sticky rice pork burger? <deleted> off!

For a long long time, there wasn't a decent burger to be had in Chiang Mai. Thank goodness times have changed and you can get a great burger from at least 10-15 different places now. Chiang Mai Saloon and Irish Pub deserve an honorable mention here. The more the merrier. Now let's see more burritos El Diablo style, but without having to go into the city, which is a no go area for me, most of the time.

Enough burger joints already. What this town needs is a decent shwarma shop. The type where the garlic sauce runs all over your arms eating it.

yeah the only good place is the place near reggae bar and they have a different flavor. they don't use the regular humas/garlic/tazikyi they use back home.

keo.

re .. Dave2 again with the picture! incredible! Are you a photojournalist?

nahh ... i was a hairy a#sed trucker for 17 years and a pest controller for about 18 years and this was the last truck i drove : )

dave2

post-42592-0-22912800-1317835130_thumb.j

Dave2 again with the picture! incredible! Are you a photojournalist? Or just a wannabe? ;)

Is the restaurant going to occupy the whole corner unit then? Pretty prime real estate, to be fair. Must cost a pretty penny, surely reflected in the food prices.

Can't comment on Woody's burger, but Mike's is absolutely appalling junk. And no matter how hungry I might be, there's no "food" to be had in 7/11. Sticky rice pork burger? <deleted> off!

The spicy chicken steak burger is awesome...Real chicken !

I hope one day somebody in the kitchen actually tries to eat one of those burgers and figures out that a pile high of ingredients under a bun spells culinary disaster when trying to eat it..... I miss 'Fat- Burger' ...... they do it absolutely right!

Anyways, good to have another burger joint on the strip so I can get a fix and then appreciate Thai-food all the moretongue.gif

Edited by HaleySabai

I hope one day somebody in the kitchen actually tries to eat one of those burgers and figures out that a pile high of ingredients under a bun spells culinary disaster when trying to eat it..... I miss 'Fat- Burger' ...... they do it absolutely right!

Anyways, good to have another burger joint on the strip so I can get a fix and then appreciate Thai-food all the moretongue.gif

How about a Philly Cheesesteak? Start with generous amounts of quality Thai beef (trimmed of all fat, sliced very thin), onions, cheese, cooked with good olive oil, on toasted Italian bread from Fornaio Bakery? 6-inch (60 baht); 10-inch (100 baht). Sounds good, right? So where can we get one in Chiang Mai?

Also, anybody know where you can get a nice big bowl of kwetiao nuea-sot (fresh beef, noodle soup); or Vietnamese soup ("feo/pho")? Must use quality sliced beef, not chewy, not fatty! 40-50 baht per bowl.

For a long long time, there wasn't a decent burger to be had in Chiang Mai. Thank goodness times have changed and you can get a great burger from at least 10-15 different places now. Chiang Mai Saloon and Irish Pub deserve an honorable mention here. The more the merrier.

Yes ,they do. But when was this long time that there wasn't a decent burger then? Irish pub opened in the early 90's I think? (Or even earlier?)

Enough burger joints already. What this town needs is a decent shwarma shop. The type where the garlic sauce runs all over your arms eating it.

yeah the only good place is the place near reggae bar and they have a different flavor. they don't use the regular humas/garlic/tazikyi they use back home.

You mean Zoe/Yellow? That's Greek. Best tomato salad outside Greece, bad none, absolutely LOVE it. Didn't know they had shawerma?!

Is that new Duke's going to have "The 99 Baht Burger" or not, that's the question. At BHT 127 after cheese and taxes, it's def. the best deal on a burger, and excellent fries too, which is rare. Many places seem to think frozen fries from Macro are good enough. And Heinz Tomato Sauce. Other places shoot themselves in the foot offering that cheap Thai sad-excuse-for-ketchup. I've even been to a place where the cheap stuff had been filled in Heinz bottles!

The original Dukes has the 99 Baht - the night bazaar branch doesn't.

Anyway - loving Duke's burgers; but just as with any Thai business, quality varies a bit day to day.

Good plan

It is going to be hard to not find a good burger with three Dukes and a burger king here on the east side of the old city.

Sorry but what has "Burger King" got to do with a good burger? They are almost as bad as Mikes greasy offerings - Duke's burgers are excellent on the other hand, there is no comparison.

Good plan

Sorry but what has "Burger King" got to do with a good burger? They are almost as bad as Mikes greasy offerings - Duke's burgers are excellent on the other hand, there is no comparison.

I think Burger Kings large, bacon cheeseburger is by far the best in Chiang Mai :)

You mean Zoe/Yellow? That's Greek. Best tomato salad outside Greece, bad none, absolutely LOVE it. Didn't know they had shawerma?!

Is that new Duke's going to have "The 99 Baht Burger" or not, that's the question. At BHT 127 after cheese and taxes, it's def. the best deal on a burger, and excellent fries too, which is rare. Many places seem to think frozen fries from Macro are good enough. And Heinz Tomato Sauce. Other places shoot themselves in the foot offering that cheap Thai sad-excuse-for-ketchup. I've even been to a place where the cheap stuff had been filled in Heinz bottles!

Anyway - loving Duke's burgers; but just as with any Thai business, quality varies a bit day to day.

naw the indian guy at the front. Kebabs are the same thing as shawerma....but there's no lebs here that make it. Only greeks and indians, i guess that's why they arent as good.

Zoe/Yellow is really good. Been there twice and agree with you about the Greek salad -- very, very good. The chicken kebab is also very good as well as the Turkish vegetable pizza. Actually everything I had there was good. The humus (Greek style) is too thick for my taste and that was the only thing I didn't care for. They also have beer Lao at about 100 Baht for a small bottle.

Good plan

I thought the TV community had decided that the burgers at Sahara (Nimmanhaemin Road) were the best in town?

Nobody's mentioned Butter is Better yet. Hubby usually orders their burger when we eat there and it seems to disappear quickly. Often he makes the few block trek to Chiang Mai Saloon in the old city for a burger and beer (if he's left to his own devices for lunch), so it must be good, too. He ate at Mike's once (it's closer to home) and said he'd never return. I'll suggest he check out that new Duke's place.

Personally, I don't eat hamburgers, so I'm only reporting on my observations of the person in our household who does.