State Of Tourism On Samui

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'vituperative'

looking on the bright side you've taught me a new word. I love it, not sure how much use i'll get out of it though.

'truly elevated'

you could use this word when the bar girls get to close ....

• Like 1

Have too many days passed for mw to chime in?

Like samuijimmy pointed out, there are some good people out there driving taxis. The guy who took me to Bangkok Hospital after my accident, has been fantastic the past two weeks. Every time I need to go back, or get housebound and have to just get out and about, he is here at my place within minutes of my gf calling him; he gets out and helps me down the stairs, into the car, and deals with the wheelchair, and waits for me while I'm at the hospital - today I was there over two hours and he waited.

Sure, he charges me 800 baht for the round-trip, but it's not him personally that sets the prices, so I don't begrudge him. If anything, it has changed my attitude towards the individual taxi drivers somewhat; I still despise the loathefull taxi-mafia cartel though!

• Like 2

I wouldn't be too surprised about the guys who sit around all day waiting for you for an 800b fare. That is, after all, more than double the average Thai daily wage for 20 minutes' work. Girls sell their bodies in Thailand for less money than that, just to compare how ridiculous a price that is.

Edited by ydraw

Sure, he charges me 800 baht for the round-trip, but it's not him personally that sets the prices,

Since taxi drives will not use the meter, it is up to them to decide what they can get. I don't think there is a secret committee that sets the prices. I think there is an established mindset that "this is the price," much like the noodle vendor who will not sell a dish for less than 40 baht. Of course there might be a noodle gang out there....

If you are spending that exorbitant fare, helping you out of the car seems superfluous. Of course he comes hopping when you call. At 800 baht a pop I'd take you.

By the way, you can rent a small car/jeep for 800 baht for 24 hours.

Sure, he charges me 800 baht for the round-trip, but it's not him personally that sets the prices,

Since taxi drives will not use the meter, it is up to them to decide what they can get. I don't think there is a secret committee that sets the prices. I think there is an established mindset that "this is the price," much like the noodle vendor who will not sell a dish for less than 40 baht. Of course there might be a noodle gang out there....

If you are spending that exorbitant fare, helping you out of the car seems superfluous. Of course he comes hopping when you call. At 800 baht a pop I'd take you.

Can I hire you for Baht 800 a day?

All taxis have the same laminated A4 sheet with fixed prices from one location to another, so there must be some organisation to get that out!

If you are spending that exorbitant fare, helping you out of the car seems superfluous.

My point is, he doesn't have to do it, and others wouldn't; it's the little things that count.

Of course he comes hopping when you call. At 800 baht a pop I'd take you.

I have to go back at 1:00 today; see you about 12:30?

My gf doesn't drive, and I still can't use my legs properly...

Cant you get the minibus from the airport..150 pp?....if there is 3 or more then a taxi makes sense....BKK is a large city and drivers there can expect to be with a customer most part of their shift, unlike taxis in Samui..expensive yes but not overly.

All taxis have the same laminated A4 sheet with fixed prices from one location to another, so there must be some organisation to get that out!

I never take taxis, so can you liberate one and scan it?

Organization? Like the Roman Catholic Church or like a taxi driver who happens to have a copy machine, and a lot of driver friends? Like a chain letter, maybe?

I never did either until 16 days ago; we took a random one this afternoon from McDonalds to home (all 1900 meters) and they obviously don't have a set price for that one, as he extorted us for 300 baht! Even stood there and watched as my gf struggled to get the wheelchair into his boot! Gels with what I said yesterday: there are some good people out there driving taxis.

Lol, although the taxi-mafia are probably more benevolent than the above mentioned organisation, I meant 'some organisation involved with putting that out' (as in 'the condition or manner of being organised'). Considering they all have one (or they show you when you walk up to a rank), I assume there's some collusion there.

Organization?

Well, all the taxis are the same colour scheme, often the same car model. All of the drivers wear blue shirts and polish their vehicles regularly. None of them will use the meter despite it being the law that they should. And all charge a very similar starting price.

So yes, there is some organisation. And I doubt that it is a co-operative. Nor do I think it is the Mayors' office that controls them.

I am not sure who the organiser is, but he is slighlty less important than Bangkok Airways Limited (as they do not allow them on their property), but pretty much above everyone else.biggrin.png

I never take taxis, so can you liberate one and scan it?

Organization? Like the Roman Catholic Church or like a taxi driver who happens to have a copy machine, and a lot of driver friends? Like a chain letter, maybe?

Is a photo of one good enough?

post-140809-0-14261700-1334571887_thumb.

• Like 1

"Association of Koh Samui"?

Under "Around the island" we have "or 500 baht per hour." Just say you want to go around the island and start at Lamai and stop in Maenam and tell the driver it's less than an hour and you are getting car sick, here's your 500, keep the change. . .

I assume that the night fares are more because it costs more to run the headlights....

By the way, interesting point about BKK Airways not allowing public taxis on the grounds....tells you something both ways there.

Edited by insertmembernamehere

Here's the airport Taxi list...

post-78923-0-08358500-1334573744_thumb.j

Airport to Big Buddha, 400 THB !!, Criminal ! ( that could be the most expensive taxi ride in the world???? )

its about 2 km to Big Buddha, so based on this link - http://most-expensive.net/cab-fare - and the fact that the 2 km ride is 12 Dollars, and the most expensive city is priced at 18 Dollars for a 3 KM Ride, Koh Samui is in fact the most expensive place :)

Airport to Big Buddha, 400 THB !!, Criminal ! ( that could be the most expensive taxi ride in the world???? )

its about 2 km to Big Buddha, so based on this link - http://most-expensive.net/cab-fare - and the fact that the 2 km ride is 12 Dollars, and the most expensive city is priced at 18 Dollars for a 3 KM Ride, Koh Samui is in fact the most expensive place smile.png

It is ridiculous, but not the most expensive in the world. Some examples: Minimum taxi fare from Barcelona airport is Euro 20 (THB800), Startingfare on meter from Schiphol (Amsterdam airport) is Euro 7,50 (THB 300).

its about 2 km to Big Buddha, so based on this link - http://most-expensive.net/cab-fare - and the fact that the 2 km ride is 12 Dollars, and the most expensive city is priced at 18 Dollars for a 3 KM Ride, Koh Samui is in fact the most expensive place smile.png

It is ridiculous, but not the most expensive in the world. Some examples: Minimum taxi fare from Barcelona airport is Euro 20 (THB800), Startingfare on meter from Schiphol (Amsterdam airport) is Euro 7,50 (THB 300).

but when you take into consideration, Fuel Cost, Labour Costs, ect ect ...... it works out worse !, considering it is 35THB for the same ride in bangkok , that is a massive mark up !,

I can live with the 400 Baht from airport to Chaweng North and 400 baht on return day since our travel agent wants 4200 Baht for the same thing, but on the sign it also mentions price pr person.

Is there a risk that 2 persons are charged 800 Baht from Airport to Chaweng North because the driver says the 400 is pr person?

The first time we visited Samui booked a cab from our travelagent because we didn't know the local prices and the second time we just walked up to the small booth and paid 400 Baht to the person at booth.

Is it still the same procedure where the man at booth get all the money or do we pay the cabdriver now?

Will come back in a few months for 3 weeks holiday.

First time ever we have booked a 3rd trip to the same location.

Looking forward to come back to Samui :)

I can live with the 400 Baht from airport to Chaweng North and 400 baht on return day since our travel agent wants 4200 Baht for the same thing, but on the sign it also mentions price pr person.

Is there a risk that 2 persons are charged 800 Baht from Airport to Chaweng North because the driver says the 400 is pr person?

The first time we visited Samui booked a cab from our travelagent because we didn't know the local prices and the second time we just walked up to the small booth and paid 400 Baht to the person at booth.

Is it still the same procedure where the man at booth get all the money or do we pay the cabdriver now?

Looking forward to come back to Samui smile.png

If you are planning to see the Island, Rent a car from Avis, costs about 800 THB a day if you book in advance ... and you can collect from the airport

If you are staying in a hotel, get them to pick you up ,,, most do !, and saves you a few THB ...

If you are planning to see the Island, Rent a car from Avis, costs about 800 THB a day if you book in advance ... and you can collect from the airport

If you are staying in a hotel, get them to pick you up ,,, most do !, and saves you a few THB ...

We don't have the balls to drive around on Samui by ourselves in neither car or scooter.

Really like the island but the traffic there gives me nightmares, ;)

The hotelpickup sounds like a good idea.

Gonna check out if they have such a service and if i can order in advance.

Thx.

We don't have the balls to drive around on Samui by ourselves in neither car or scooter.

Really like the island but the traffic there gives me nightmares, wink.png

The hotelpickup sounds like a good idea.

Gonna check out if they have such a service and if i can order in advance.

Thx.

what hotel/area are you staying?

A place called Samui Natien Resort near Chaweng north.

Last time they drove us to the airport, so i guess it works the other way around too :)

Don't think it was their own minibus but not certain.

Will contact them when we get closer to our vacation and if they don't have that service we just hop onto a cab in the airport and cross our fingers ;)

A place called Samui Natien Resort near Chaweng north.

Last time they drove us to the airport, so i guess it works the other way around too smile.png

Don't think it was their own minibus but not certain.

Will contact them when we get closer to our vacation and if they don't have that service we just hop onto a cab in the airport and cross our fingers wink.png

They do , just email reception and ask for a transfer... maybe 200 THB, but its a saving ........