Worried About Centipedes

Hi there, i had a few questions to ask about those nasty bugs : i'm going to bangkok in a few months to see my parents, and they will be living either in baan suan plu or near the city centre( here are some pics of the first building in fact it's the same place where i lived as a child ( been there for almost 4 years), but at that time, i didn't know that there were scolopendras in thailand (and i've never seen one, luckily), plus, i wasn't that scared of bugs ( something must have happened the last 15 years, don't ask me what XD).

So here's the thing : living on the 9th floor ( that's for baan suan plu) or the second floor(the other building), is there a chance that i'll meet one of those? I don't really care about other insects since they're not as dangerous, and not as big most of the time -_-, sorry for being such a wuss, i'm not too proud of being that scared of a bug that's a thousand times lighter than me....

Thanks for all the answers you'll be giving me ^^

PS : Sorry if the message lacks a bit of vocabulary, english isn't my native language basically(like a lot of the forum members, i suppose), though i don't think i'm bad at speaking and writing it.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they are out there, but I only see a couple a year usually during wetter weather. unlikely you will find them up high.

that said i did get bit a few years back and couldn't wear a shoe for weeks, bloody painful.

they are out there, but I only see a couple a year usually during wetter weather. unlikely you will find them up high.

that said i did get bit a few years back and couldn't wear a shoe for weeks, bloody painful.

I thought they were confined to rural areas but never saw one during 2-3 years living in a village in Issan. However, after moving to central Pattaya, I do get one in the apartment (on the 5th floor) every now and then - say a couple per year, but they always turn up dead - not sure why.

I am very careful about putting any shoes on nowadays and always have a poke around before putting them on.

I tend to disagree with the previous poster - if I saw one in my apartment I think I would be tempted to kill it - with a long stick perhaps :( . Out and about in the countryside, then I would give it a wide berth.

Simon

Hi 'havasith' Sound like an irrational fear, I'm not belittling it, a lot like some people and spiders….You either have to live with this fear, confront it or seek help. It's as simple as that. I have a fear of circus clowns, especially from Eastern Europe. Lucky not seen a clowns in my garden here yet.

I would say the longer you leave something like this the worse it may get. They say knowledge dispels fear, why not go on line and read up on them, you will probably find they are not as bad as you fear portrays them. I see these fookers all the time in my garden; there are lots of deferent centipedes and millipedes in Thailand…….. Good luck

Edited by Tonto21

They are very quick and will get out of your way if they can. However if you surprise one putting on your shoe or in another hidey hole, they will react. As said, nasty sting, but not fatal unless you're allergic (like bees). We see a lot of them in Issan, I've only heard of bites, never seen anyone bitten.

well, I'm at home now in Suphanburi trying to recover from diabetes and blood pressure related health problems and the last thing I need is to get bitten by one of them mothers...have found two already in my downstairs shophouse living area; one big bastard, light colored that my BiL dispatched by stomping on it bare footed and one smaller dark one but stings just as bad I'm told...they like hiding under things, the smaller one was under a little plastic bin right next to my foot...I always light up the room and check the tile floor before walking around and always check shoes and sandals...can't be too careful especially now during the rainy season...

I useta hate the odd big huntsman spider that useta get in downstairs but they are now friendly in comparison...

Leave the centipedes alone and they will leave you alone. I see them on a regular basis where I stay in Chiang Mai and never had a problem with them. I"ve never had them in any hotel room I've stayed at. Maybe if I had a home I might have to be more careful, but even when talking to my friends they don't worry. Just don't stamp on them or touch them. Their entire skin is toxic. If you always wear shoes or sandals then you'll be okay. IN some locations it pays to check your boots or shoes before putting them on. Scorpions tend to crawl into boots.

Thai_centipede_2_Em.sized.jpg

Never had any problems with centipedes in Bangkok, or even seen them particularly often. Since their food, breeding areas, etc. are on/in the ground, you're probably not likely to see them in upper floors.

i see one in my shower , small one , by taking something to remove it , it vanished... never see again ,but remember the little creep still :annoyed: , and i live condo building 11 high , so i think came out drain pipe....:blink:

Leave the centipedes alone and they will leave you alone. I see them on a regular basis where I stay in Chiang Mai and never had a problem with them. I"ve never had them in any hotel room I've stayed at. Maybe if I had a home I might have to be more careful, but even when talking to my friends they don't worry. Just don't stamp on them or touch them. Their entire skin is toxic. If you always wear shoes or sandals then you'll be okay. IN some locations it pays to check your boots or shoes before putting them on. Scorpions tend to crawl into boots.

Thai_centipede_2_Em.sized.jpg

I live near in a Soi opposite Seacon Square, Srinakararin road. All this area used to be prawn farms 25 years ago when there was nothing else here, only two sois on Srinakarin then. Despite the enormous amount of building since then, on almost all available land, we still have Kimodo Dragons(Monitor Lizards up to nearly 3metres long, pythons up to 3-4 metres long, and plenty of giant centipedes living in the remaining waste lands. A young cobra 3metres long was trying to get into our glazed front sliding door last week. The giant centipedes get into the house at least once a year and are dangerous and can be fatal. My Wife was bitten on her finger by one when she was a young and her finger nail is deformed as a result. Contrary to what another member of this forum stated, they bite without being provoked.

The Kimodo Dragons keep the stray dog population down, luckily they ignore, but are not afraid of, humans. They carry a lot of dangerous bacteria so steer clear of them.

I live near in a Soi opposite Seacon Square, Srinakararin road. All this area used to be prawn farms 25 years ago when there was nothing else here, only two sois on Srinakarin then. Despite the enormous amount of building since then, on almost all available land, we still have Kimodo Dragons(Monitor Lizards up to nearly 3metres long, pythons up to 3-4 metres long, and plenty of giant centipedes living in the remaining waste lands. A young cobra 3metres long was trying to get into our glazed front sliding door last week. The giant centipedes get into the house at least once a year and are dangerous and can be fatal. My Wife was bitten on her finger by one when she was a young and her finger nail is deformed as a result. Contrary to what another member of this forum stated, they bite without being provoked.

The Kimodo Dragons keep the stray dog population down, luckily they ignore, but are not afraid of, humans. They carry a lot of dangerous bacteria so steer clear of them.

That sounds like an interesting place to live. I love wildlife of all descriptions. I'm just careful with what I handle. I don't mind handling snakes, but I WON'T handle centipedes even with gloves... unless I intend to throw the gloves away afterwards. As I stated before, even their skin is toxic and a bite is ALWAYS nasty.

Hey, you can't see me... I'm hiding in your boot.

Cobra_in_boot.sized.jpg

This guy tapped the front of my camera when I got too close.

Cobra_015.jpg

Monitor lizards are fascinating creatures, but as you say, their saliva is toxic with germs. This guy was over 2 meters long

Monitor_lizard_6.jpg

This little scorpion crawled into my tent with me and I found him in the morning and tossed him out with the frisby

Scorpion_011.jpg

some great pictures there. as my wifes relatives live in the Jungels , i see most nasty creepy things. You just have to be aware where your fet are and what you lean on or touch, always bang your shoes and boots in the morning or when you put them on, walk heavey in grassy areas so snakes go away from you , and be carefull of cobras, they spit too. the worse things for me are Ants they bite and are every where, Oh and dont forget the spiders, some are that big Thais put sadals on them and ride them to work , just joking,

what you are discussing are takabs,my wife has been bitten by one of these when 14yrs old and now she is terified of them,they can make you become very ill if its on your property kill it.our dog is well aware of them and will alert us if theres one about.one came in our drive last night about 10ins.long and as thick as your big finger our thai neighbour took quite a few blows to kill it.i was at an outdoor buffet when someone shouted out takab i have never seen people move up on the tables so quick.

kimodo dragon my butt, those are monitor lizards.

kimodo draons exist only here: http://www.reptilekn...o-map-large.jpg

Kimodo dragon is just another name for a local species of monitor lizard, and one that gets quite large. They exist in various locations throughout south east Asia. They are aggressive and meat eaters. I would not want to corner one.

This one was a couple meters long and came by at lunch time each day when tourists would toss chicken bones to ti.

Monitor_lizard_1.jpg

Monitor_lizard_3.jpg

i Live in Bangpli and we have seen thaa sentipedes on the faktory floor skares the hell out of the thais you should be careful as they can muv at speeds of up to 20km whin provokes and heave ben knoen to jump several meters we try to cathc it but it flew away on those big legs like wings not sure were it com fm but almost had a new pet the cobra pic above be look cool are you missing a dog now check in the shoe the dragon must have thought the BBq plase had good price! hope my engwish fit forum rules.:lol:

really now. scared of a bug. check your shoes and watch were you walk.:whistling:

The correct name is Komodo dragon , and as stated they do not live in Thailand , they live on the Island of Komodo , and a few small islands near , Monitor lizards is what your talking about , and i do not think they have evil saliva like the Komodo dragon , but i am not 100% sure of that .

One good way of getting rid of the centipedes if they invade your house , we used to have a few come in the house when we lived in Navan Nakorn North Bangkok ,is a good size rubber hammer , one swift hit on the head ,usually gets them ,and you don't smash your ceramic floor to pieces , i always keep mine on the shelf incase i need it quickly , it's handy for cockroaches too , but don't hit then too hard they explode .

Apparently --- i stand corrected --new research has recently been done on the lizard family , and nearly all types of lizards carry a venom in oral glands , which is very closely compared to snake venom , but in nearly all cases much milder and much less potent , the only 2 lizards that can hurt you badly are -- Gila monster , and the bearded dragon , as far as i am aware , this is a new one for me , and i think for a lot of people who keep reptiles as pets , this includes the Monitor lizard , ---------------------- know and understand your adversary

Monitors are indeed MILDLY venomous. A group of Aussie scientists undertook in-depth research in the mid 2000's on the toxicity of Monitors.

The real danger however comes from bacteria in their mouths which was why no one thought they produced venom of their own as nearly all fatalities from Monitor bites were through the subsequent infection and not from the venom.

While considered a pest by many I find them beautiful to watch in the early mornings as they bask. Some of the colouration is exquisite.

I too live in the same area as Estrada and BasseP and this area, while quite urban in places and only 3 or so miles from the concrete sprawl of BKK, is surprisingly rural. It is possibly the best place I've lived in especially when the huge storks come in the cool season.

Centipede bites are painful to the border of excruciation (I know this from experience) but are NOT fatal - anaphylaxis asides - nor is their skin poisonous.

I think Ian is getting mixed up with Millipedes which secrete a nasty foul smelling, mildly caustic fluid when threatened which some rural folks use on bedding and clothing as an insect repellent.

There is no need for a hammer to remove a centipede. How disgusting. It's an unintelligent Arthropod, not a cyborg from another world programmed to kill.

Merely a pair of tongs will do or you can even sweep them out.

It's no wonder Thailand's frail eco systems are suffering when even supposedly educated people just swat and kill on sight.

Get a grip people.

Monitors are indeed MILDLY venomous. A group of Aussie scientists undertook in-depth research in the mid 2000's on the toxicity of Monitors.

The real danger however comes from bacteria in their mouths which was why no one thought they produced venom of their own as nearly all fatalities from Monitor bites were through the subsequent infection and not from the venom.

While considered a pest by many I find them beautiful to watch in the early mornings as they bask. Some of the colouration is exquisite.

I too live in the same area as Estrada and BasseP and this area, while quite urban in places and only 3 or so miles from the concrete sprawl of BKK, is surprisingly rural. It is possibly the best place I've lived in especially when the huge storks come in the cool season.

Centipede bites are painful to the border of excruciation (I know this from experience) but are NOT fatal - anaphylaxis asides - nor is their skin poisonous.

I think Ian is getting mixed up with Millipedes which secrete a nasty foul smelling, mildly caustic fluid when threatened which some rural folks use on bedding and clothing as an insect repellent.

There is no need for a hammer to remove a centipede. How disgusting. It's an unintelligent Arthropod, not a cyborg from another world programmed to kill.

Merely a pair of tongs will do or you can even sweep them out.

It's no wonder Thailand's frail eco systems are suffering when even supposedly educated people just swat and kill on sight.

Get a grip people.

Monitor lizards are a bit hard to miss.... so its fairly easy to avoid them. I've only ever seen 3 live in the 6 years I've been living here - and 2 of those had been caught by a Thai who was taking them elsewhere for whatever reason....

Millipedes are not a problem at all, which is lucky as they are seen frequently. Centipedes however.... extremely nasty if they bite you.

One of my brothers used to live on Koh Phi Phi and had the misfortune of being bitten twice in one week by centipedes that had moved into his nice, warm armpit whilst he was asleep! Un-suprisingly they bit him when he woke up and moved....

I'm happy to say that I've only seen 2 in the 6 years I've lived here - one was on the beach and had obviously been disturbed by a new house being built, the other was on my path. I'm ashamed to admit that I had no hesitation in killing it as I REALLY didn't want it in my house or, biting one of my dogs in the garden.

There are VERY few things I would kill - basically mossies and centipedes.

What are you afraid of? post-30493-0-04170900-1318408667_thumb.j

uurghhhh, these things make my skin crawl!

Snakes? I get lots around my house as there are lots of trees.

The golden tree snakes are beautiful and I love watching them (from a distance :lol:)

I've also seen three cobra (all aggressive) - which I was not so happy about as I worry about my dogs. I wouldn't dream of killing them though, as I know they will find a better habitat once they realise there are dogs here.

I'm fairly sure I saw a baby King Cobra a few days ago and an adult today! Neither were aggressive, so I'm just hoping they're moving somewhere else!

Monitors will avoid you more than anything. The only way you'd risk a bite is by getting too close which is difficult.

Most days all I see is a flash followed by a splash as they scarper into the canal which makes me jump far more than the lizard sometimes I can tell you. You can then follow their bubbles and watch them climb out on to the opposite bank.

Occasionally if I'm downwind I'll be lucky enough to get fairly close to one and watch it bask but they eventually get a whiff of you and off they go.

I'd say your brother must have some bizarre armpits....