U.S. Savings Bonds

You have a few options. You probably will have trouble cashing them in Thailand.

1: Might be able to find an institution in Thailand, but doubtful.

2: You can mail them in. The US GOV site has the information.

3: You can open a Treasury Direct account and Convert your paper bonds to electronic bonds. Then you can redeem and transfer the money online. I had an account for my I bonds and some T bills. Gov website worked pretty well. Smoothly bought and sold and the money came out and went into my bank account smoothly.

Make sure you double check all the details. I saw a sentence saying something about $1,000 maximum paper redemption per visit. Just a caution on getting everything correct.

http://www.savingsbonds.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eeredeem.htm

http://www.savingsbonds.gov/indiv/research/indepth/smartexchangeinfo.htm

You have a few options. You probably will have trouble cashing them in Thailand.

1: Might be able to find an institution in Thailand, but doubtful.

2: You can mail them in. The US GOV site has the information.

3: You can open a Treasury Direct account and Convert your paper bonds to electronic bonds. Then you can redeem and transfer the money online. I had an account for my I bonds and some T bills. Gov website worked pretty well. Smoothly bought and sold and the money came out and went into my bank account smoothly.

Make sure you double check all the details. I saw a sentence saying something about $1,000 maximum paper redemption per visit. Just a caution on getting everything correct.

http://www.savingsbonds.gov/indiv/research/indepth/ebonds/res_e_bonds_eeredeem.htm

http://www.savingsbonds.gov/indiv/research/indepth/smartexchangeinfo.htm

Thanks GK. I will check that out! :-)

If you still keep a bank account in the US, then the easiest approach is to send them to that bank for deposit.

You need to sign the bonds first before an authorized person, though, Overseas, that means a consular official at the embassy or consulate. The service is free, but it's rarely asked for, so they may try to charge you (as they tried to charge me), so stand your ground and tell them to look it up in the regulations when they ask for money.

If you still keep a bank account in the US, then the easiest approach is to send them to that bank for deposit.

You need to sign the bonds first before an authorized person, though, Overseas, that means a consular official at the embassy or consulate. The service is free, but it's rarely asked for, so they may try to charge you (as they tried to charge me), so stand your ground and tell them to look it up in the regulations when they ask for money.

Not all banks will process the bonds to any bank. Double check before you do things.

Who to Contact for Savings Bond Inquiries

In most cases, your local bank can help you with savings bond inquiries and process your transactions. You'll likely find that using your local bank is fast and convenient. However, if your local bank isn't able to help you, feel free to write or call the Minneapolis Treasury Retail Securities site.

Federal Reserve Bank

of Minneapolis

P.O. Box 214

Minneapolis, MN 55480

800-553-2663

I don't have a bank in the USA.