Flooding In Ayutthaya To Worsen; Heavy Rain Expected

webfact

With the enormous amount of water heading south in the next week and the chance of more heavy downpours, it is obvious that Bangkok is being saved from serious flooding at the expense of the provinces. However,it would be interesting to see people being ferried down Sathorn Road in longboats.Drown the provinces, save the capital.

opps, posted incorrectly

I do not understand how "Bangkok" being saved from serious flooding causes more flooding upstream. It seems to me that water tends to flow downstream not up. Can someone explain to me how protecting Bangkok affects upriver provinces? Is it the confining of the water in the Chao Praya River in Bangkok raising the overall level of the river. And how much of an effect is there if this is true?

Does anyone have any news about flooding around Nong Pru, East of Pattaya. My wifes sister called this morning from our Bungalow in Greenville, Soi Country Club as they call it, saying the waters are very high and likely to flood.

Thanks,.

No flooding anywhere in or around Pattaya as yet.

Okay thanks for that, just hope its a big flap over nothing.

Have a good one

Does anyone have any news about flooding around Nong Pru, East of Pattaya. My wifes sister called this morning from our Bungalow in Greenville, Soi Country Club as they call it, saying the waters are very high and likely to flood.

Thanks,.

No flooding anywhere in or around Pattaya as yet.

With the enormous amount of water heading south in the next week and the chance of more heavy downpours, it is obvious that Bangkok is being saved from serious flooding at the expense of the provinces. However,it would be interesting to see people being ferried down Sathorn Road in longboats.Drown the provinces, save the capital.

opps, posted incorrectly

I do not understand how "Bangkok" being saved from serious flooding causes more flooding upstream. It seems to me that water tends to flow downstream not up. Can someone explain to me how protecting Bangkok affects upriver provinces? Is it the confining of the water in the Chao Praya River in Bangkok raising the overall level of the river. And how much of an effect is there if this is true?

When to much water is coming from the north, they can try to make controlled floods in upstream provinces. They can control the flow pretty well with all their dams and stuff, but the water still has to go somewhere, so rather small towns and rice fields than downtown Bangkok. This year there is just more water than usual, but Bangkok is still the most costly place to flood.

My wifes sister last week stated that the water came upto the car near the car port, which is about .5 meter lower than the door to our

bungalow. This morning she has phoned and heard it will be the same but maybe worse if the heavy rains continue so the neighbours

have got some sand bags, and this is up from Pataya Soi Siam Country Club, golf club.

As I understand it the heaviest rain in the next few days is destined for the Eastern Seaboard - anyone confirm that?

It could mean chaos for Pattaya and the environs

The floodwater is so high that it entered a provincial prison, forcing the authorities to move the prisoners to the second floor. The authority planned to evacuate the prisoners to prisons in other provinces including Bangkok.

They should send the prisoners to stay with Thaksin where laugh.gifever he is........

Grow up, clown!

The floodwater is so high that it entered a provincial prison, forcing the authorities to move the prisoners to the second floor. The authority planned to evacuate the prisoners to prisons in other provinces including Bangkok.

They should send the prisoners to stay with Thaksin where laugh.gifever he is........

Whew! For a minute there I thought the "usual suspects" on Thai Visa might recognize that this is a serious situation, and people are looking for answers about conditions, loved ones, property loss, employment ending... and Thailand in general. Thank you for not letting us down...and using this bad news and those who suffer from it as your entertainment. Really. Wow...

Whew! For a minute there I thought the "usual suspects" on Thai Visa might recognize that this is a serious situation, and people are looking for answers about conditions, loved ones, property loss, employment ending... and Thailand in general. Thank you for not letting us down...and using this bad news and those who suffer from it as your entertainment. Really. Wow...

I saw on BBC World today how the prisoners where moved: Knee-deep water, prisoners in underwear only, carrying their clothes in the hands (mostly over their heads) so as to not get them wet. Moving orderly into buses. Armed policemen standing guard (were those AK47s?).

All of what is happening is not normal, even in amazing Thailand. The country has been hit by a disaster. I hear that some people blame politicians for not having prevented it: Please note that this is unprecedented. Yes, we had floodings before (1983 is legendary), but much has been done since. The current amount of water is just more than in previous years.

Please don't blame Thailand. There were severe floodings in Germany and in the US in recent years too.

opps, posted incorrectly

Bangkok is downstream, and there are watergates and dams to prevent the water from coming into town. Where does the water get stuck and accumulates? I'll give you three points for the right answer.

Please do not hesitate to ask us about basic laws of physics and hydrodynamics. Where did you go to school, but the way?

FLOOD

Hospital, prison evacuated, road swamped in Ayutthaya

The Nation

30167038-01.jpg

Medical staff rushed to evacuate patients from Ayutthaya province's Bang Pra Han hospital yesterday after floodwaters one-metre deep submerged the hospital entrance.

A central prison has been cleared of its inmates and flooding has blocked the Asia road at Angthong province which is the main route to Bangkok. The flood submerged thousands of cars, leaving many stranded on the road.

Seventeen patients were rescued by two flat boats and taken to alternative centres as the Bang Pra Han hospital was forced to temporarily shut down its medical services. Two of its patients were in a critical condition.

Four were transported to Nakhon Luang district's Som Dej Pra Sangkaraj hospital, two to Ang Thong hospital, six to Wang Noi hospital and four to Uthai hospital.

Dr Pongsakhon Amornchaicharn said the floodwater did not inundate the hospital's main building but its compound and surrounding areas were submerged.

"We could not continue to provide medical services for patients. [The situation] was risky for the critically ill, especially those needing respiratory devices," he said.

The Public Health Ministry yesterday said the number of people estimated at risk from committing suicide because of the floods had surged to 500 cases, with 3,687 under stress and 1,931 suffering from depression.

Minister Witthaya Buranasiri said he had instructed officials to prepare to evacuate people from other centres in Ayutthaya province.

They were also told to build floodwater barriers to protect industrial zones, including Hi-tech, Bang Pa-In and Rojana Industrial estates.

Buildings in front of Ayutthaya provincial city hall have been established as evacuation centres to accommodate over 1,000 people.

Witthaya also instructed officials to protect other rural hospitals in Ayutthaya province, including Ban Praek, Maharaj, Ta Reu, Nakhon Luang, and Nakhon Sawan province's Chumsaeng hospital.

"We need to change plans if the level of water continues to rise," he said. "We have prepared for a helicopter to provide help with emergency cases."

The central prison in Ayutthaya was also submerged by floodwater and prison officials were instructed to evacuate 1,700 inmates to safe areas. Director Suwichak Sribencharat said the water had risen very fast on Wednesday night, flooding the prison's compound.

Male inmates were instructed to take their shirts off and were handcuffed and bound together with rope to prevent their escape. All were transferred to seven nearby prisons.

Floodwaters from Tung Han Tra field has submerged the Ban Koh-Han Tra road to a depth of one-and-a-half metres and blocked the Asia road at Angthong province.

Police suggest drivers avoid Asia road and use other routes to Wisetchaicharn district and on to Suphanburi province.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-07

Hi All

So sad to see the victims of the floods from all around Thailand the old folk and babies really suffering, Nowhere do I see the Royal Thai Police forming into some kind of civil defence force to help the common people, Maybe not enough money in helping poor people to survive, that or they just don't want to get their uniforms dirty.

Phupaman

Hi All

So sad to see the victims of the floods from all around Thailand the old folk and babies really suffering, Nowhere do I see the Royal Thai Police forming into some kind of civil defence force to help the common people, Maybe not enough money in helping poor people to survive, that or they just don't want to get their uniforms dirty.

Phupaman

How can they get dirty? Their uniforms are already the color of s h i t... :bah:

Anyone know how the Saraburi eastern ring road is? A month ago, it was closed about 3km before where it normally merges with Highway 1 and everything redirected back along 3042 and it was mayhem with only one lane open to the south. I am planning driving out to Udon later today so a heads-up (or periscope-up!) would be appreciated.

The latest ESRI map looks clear but that may not include the very latest heavy rains. Here's the Saraburi flood maps for the past 30 days.

post-35874-0-45988000-1317958399_thumb.j

post-35874-0-58212200-1317958467_thumb.j

post-35874-0-47817200-1317958488_thumb.j

Edited by NanLaew

Ive got 2.5 metres outside my window.. i can get a boat to the end of the soi.. but then its just a metre deep and flowing too fast to row.. quite dangerous really.. I live off Rojana where they did the news from last night. Its bad, it really is and the Bhumipol dam in Tak is filling 3x faster than its emptying..

Edited by justaphase