A Uk Settlement Visa For Wife

Hello to everyone here.

I hope someone here can make things a bit clearer on the best chances of my wife getting a UK settlement visa.

Right now having already read a lot I am even more in doubt on exactly how to go about things.

Anyways here goes our case.

I am UK born n bred and have been living in Thailand full-time for 8 or so years with just one brief visit back to Blighty about 4 years ago.

I have been with my wife for 3 years in total almost 1 of those years as legally married here in Thailand.

My wife is heavily pregnant with our first who is due on the end of this month.

My first problem lies with sponsorship. I have no job or savings (I know what a catch I am), so not gonna be me.

If we go back we will be staying with my parents (hopefully).

My folks in the UK own their house but are on government benefits. Will it be possible for them to act as sponsors?

If it is what exactly will be required of them? How much monies would be needed by them to be able to do this?

This will be the first of undoubtedly many questions to come, so my many thanks to any help in advance. :D

Firstly, you will be the sponsor as she is your wife. The sponsor is the person supporting the application, the reason, if you like, for the applicant moving to the UK. This is not necessarily the same as the person providing financial support.

Have a read of Maintenance and accommodation.

You will see that the funds for maintenance can come from the savings and/or income of:

• The applicant
  • The sponsor
  • A third party or parties
  • Any combination of these.

Anyone who is contributing towards your financial support must provide evidence that they have the funds to do so; bank statements, payslips etc.

The problem may come because you say your parents are 'are on government benefits.' There is no reason why a person on benefits cannot provide financial support for a settlement applicant; but they must not claim any extra benefits because they are doing so. Also, once in the UK you can claim any benefits to which you may be entitled, but cannot claim any extra due to your wife living with you. Your wife cannot claim most benefits until she has been in the UK for at least 2 years and has Indefinite Leave to Remain. However, any application which relied on benefits you may be able to claim once in the UK is almost certain to fail.

There is, currently, no minimum amount of money which needs to be available to a settlement applicant; simply 'enough.' However, the guideline is that they should have at least as much as the income support level for a family of the same size; for a married couple this is currently £105.95 per week. This amount can be reduced if a third party is paying for all your food, electric etc..

But, as it seems from your OP that your parents are wholly reliant on the state for their income, unless they have savings or other financial resources you haven't mentioned, I doubt your parent's resources will be deemed sufficient to enable them to provide adequate financial support for you, your wife and your baby.

Even if the ECO decides that they do have sufficient funds to support you, although third party support is allowed under the rules, the ECO will need to see that you and your wife will be able to support yourselves within a reasonable time frame; so you should provide whatever evidence you can that you will be able to do so; employment prospects for example.

I know that you do not want to be separated, However, in the circumstances as you have described them, it may be better for you to return to the UK first and find employment and then apply for your wife and child to join you once you are working and have an income.

Living with a third party, especially a family member, is fine; provided there is at least one room for the exclusive use of you and your wife. Your parents should provide evidence that this will be so, a description of the property and who else lives there should suffice, and proof that they own the property, such as a copy of the deeds.

Thanks for the replies. The reason I wanted the folks to be involved was expedite the visa process, so that I didn't have to be separated at all or for as little time as possible.

If I was to go back and gain employment how long a period of working would be deemed sufficient to start the visa process on my own?

Thanks again

Thanks for the replies. The reason I wanted the folks to be involved was expedite the visa process, so that I didn't have to be separated at all or for as little time as possible.

If I was to go back and gain employment how long a period of working would be deemed sufficient to start the visa process on my own?

Thanks again

when i came home for the same reason as yourself, to find employment to bring my wife over i produced 3mths of wage slips, can i ask if you have no savings or income at the moment how have you been living in thailand and how will you pay the embassy fees, and flights even if you was successful?

A letter from your new employer confirming your employment is permanent, or at least long term, and your salary should be sufficient.

However, I can see the wisdom of tigerjohn's three months work and payslips to add meat to the application.

I would ensure you cover all the points mentioned I would return to the UK & seek employment first. The processing officer has to be satisfied you can maintain & accommodate your wife without recourse to public funds.

What is 3 months if you are to be together for the rest of your lives ?

A case recently a client went home secured employment & we inserted two months wage slips & his wife is in the UK now. Had we applied without this I believe he may well have been declined the visa.