Need Some Help With Sponsor Letters

hi guys, i have just about got everything in order for my trip to bkk in december to get a uk tourist visa for my gf, but i'm having trouble with what exactly i should write in the sponsor letters.

ashamed to say i am from generation teXt so i have never written a formal letter in my life. anyone got an example letter that they could share with us to set me on the right path?

also the letter from my employer should these details be enough to satisfy the embassy? -

national insurance number

salary

length of employment

a short sentence saying that work will be available upon my return to the uk

cheers.

In your letter you should make sure you cover the purpose behind the visit, how long you've known each other, your circumstances in the UK, and your g/f's circumstances in Thailand. Also include the reasons why you believe she has to return to Thailand at the end of the visit. Some other kind soul might let you crib from one they've done already.

If you have wage slips, a letter from your employer isn't strictly necessary, but there's no harm in submitting one. The details you've listed should be fine.

Cheers,

Scouse.

The authorities will be looking for your assurance that you will be supporting her financially, (show proof of your financial situation, that you will be providing or arranging accommodation and that you will ensure that she leaves the country on or before the expiry date on her visa.

You also need to assure the authorites that the main purpose of her visit is as a tourist and that she will not be seeking employment whilst in your country.

My partner went to the British embassy and they gave him a list of questions that I needed to answer in my letter, I had to include a letter from my employer saying i was in permanent employment. I had to include copies of wage slips and bank statements. I also had to say what provision I had made for them if anything happened to me whilst they were here. The reason i gave for visit was holiday, they wanted to know how long we had known each other and how we met and what our relationship was. Finally they needed a return ticket to show the intention of going back. Thats it as far as I can remember as I did not keep copies as he got a six month visa without a problem.

Edited by JohnC

Finally they needed a return ticket to show the intention of going back.
Are you sure? Usually the embassy advise applicants not to make any firm travel arrangements until after the visa has been issued.

Duality, most of the info the ECO needs will be gathered from the supporting documents submitted and the application form itself. For the covering letter I would suggest a brief outline of your relationship and the reason for the visit and clarification of any issue not covered by the supporting documents. I'd also suggest a simple list of what those supporting documents are.

ok thanks guys, i have got most of this info permanentley burned into my brain by now but actually writing it down is another thing. i can't expect you guys to think for me but some examples would be very much appreciated.

i can't get my head round things like " yours sincerely" and "yours faithfully" or even how to start a letter ! is it "to whom it may concern" ?

thanks again.

This one did the trick for us.....

--------------------------------------------------------------

Your full address

Date here

Re: Letter of Sponsorship - Miss Name Name

To Whom It May Concern:

Miss Name Name, a friend of good standing, intends to travel to the United Kingdom on Month-Day-Year for a period of approximately three weeks for the purposes of a holiday. During this time I will be providing Miss Name Name with accommodation at the above residential address (---address reiterated in brief---) of which I am sole tenant. Additionally I will be covering any costs of subsistence during her stay and as sponsor for the purposes of her visa application undertake to provide financial cover for any circumstances that arise during her holiday in the United Kingdom.

I have been in the continuous employ of Company Name since Month-Year where currently I hold the position of Job Title with an annual salary of £peanuts (pounds sterling).

Attached to this letter of sponsorship are copies of the following:

Latest available salary slips for a period of six months

Latest available bank statements for a period of six months

Identification page from my United Kingdom passport

Should you require any further information or evidence on my behalf in support of the application please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours truly

---------------------------------------------------

Naturally you might wish to alter it a little :o

Edited by khon_fused