Flying Dog To Bkk

lukeskywalker

Only Thai Airways does.

If goes with cargo they calculate the volume weight:

* Shih Tzu size about 800 baht

* Eng. Bulldog size about 1,500 baht

* Golden size about 2,500 baht

If goes as excess luggage the gross weight (dog + crate) counts. Don't know the prices, but it's a lot cheaper than cargo. Mini-dogs, less than 7 kilo's (including crate, if I'm not mistaken)can go in the cabin.

Best to fly the dog with the first flight in the morning or in the evening. Dog will go with the luggage. There is no special department for animals on those flights. During the day it can become quickly extremely hot in the crate while transporting the animal with all the luggage to or from the plane, and the dog can die of over-heating. Especially short-nosed dogs are prone to that, and it is not unknown that dogs have died during this fairly short trip when transported during the day.

For cargo you need to be at the cargo terminal at least 2 hours before flying. There is no reservation. You just have to show up. Best is to check when the earliest flight is going. During low season the first flight at 7am doesn't go. The next one is at 8am.

For keeping the anxiety level of the dog at a minimum, it is advise to have the dog crate-trained far before the flight, so it will feel safe and comfortable in there.

Another option may be, is to bring the dog yourself by mini-bus or car to BKK.

I hope this helps. :)

Took my dog from bangkok to chiang mai by train, pretty small dog though about 7kilos. Got to stay with us on the train in a crate.

Only Thai Airways does.

If goes with cargo they calculate the volume weight:

* Shih Tzu size about 800 baht

* Eng. Bulldog size about 1,500 baht

* Golden size about 2,500 baht

If goes as excess luggage the gross weight (dog + crate) counts. Don't know the prices, but it's a lot cheaper than cargo. Mini-dogs, less than 7 kilo's (including crate, if I'm not mistaken)can go in the cabin.

Best to fly the dog with the first flight in the morning or in the evening. Dog will go with the luggage. There is no special department for animals on those flights. During the day it can become quickly extremely hot in the crate while transporting the animal with all the luggage to or from the plane, and the dog can die of over-heating. Especially short-nosed dogs are prone to that, and it is not unknown that dogs have died during this fairly short trip when transported during the day.

For cargo you need to be at the cargo terminal at least 2 hours before flying. There is no reservation. You just have to show up. Best is to check when the earliest flight is going. During low season the first flight at 7am doesn't go. The next one is at 8am.

For keeping the anxiety level of the dog at a minimum, it is advise to have the dog crate-trained far before the flight, so it will feel safe and comfortable in there.

Another option may be, is to bring the dog yourself by mini-bus or car to BKK.

I hope this helps. :)

Just the other day at BKK I saw a dog in a crate on one of the luggage carousels.

This particular dog seemed to be enjoying the ride, actually, but it's easy to see how this turns into a disaster with your more high-strung pooches.

Also makes me wonder what happens to all the poop when/if the crate tips over. From now on I'll probably buy the hard-shell suitcase instead of the fabric ones.

It reminds me of the time I was with my friend who was shipping his dog from the UK to the USA. A woman came up and asked if it was the dog's first flight. After being told it was she asked if the dog was scared of flying!

I didn`t know dogs could fly?

This is one for the books, definitely. That book being Eats Shoots and Leaves.

Even if you rearrange it a bit, you're stuck: "How to fly my dog to BKK" "Has anyone here flown their dog to BKK ?" "Best way for my dog to fly to BKK"...... I'm sure ther're more.

Btw, you might even find someone driving down willing to take it for you. I'm sure this thread will open up some networking choices.... and then you can "drive your dog to BKK !"

Good luck.

If it is small it can be flown with Air Asia - Just pack into your case a few minutes before check in and ensure there are some holes in your case. It won't cost anything as long as it is not overweight.

But would it mind the turtles and snakes ?