Kayak Fishing Off Samui

Hi guys,

We're moving over to Samui this weekend. Will be staying in Taling ngam. I would like to start kayak fishing. I've done some forum searches etc and found that i can purchase a kayak on Samui. I think I'll go for a Feelfree Kayak. Apparently there is a shop near Nathon which still sells kayaks.

Anyway, does anybody know any good fishing spots offshore? Obviously i wont be able to go too far out. I've found a couple of old posts about good spots for shore fishing and rock fishing but i wonder if anybody knows anywhere slightly off the shore? Like a headland i can go to and cast towards the rocks...

Also, any tips for bait etc? I know there is alot of Longtom about. Deep diving rapala? Plastic SHAD lure? 2",3",4"? At the moment i have a 10ft rod with a 12lb line and i think i'll use a 30lb leader.

I don't expect to catch anything massive, just looking for a bit of fun with lightweight tackle.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks Poorsucker. A while ago somebody posted, there is a shop that sells new Feelfree kayaks in Baan bang makham. Coming from Maenam, on the left before Nathon. They start off at 12,000B incl a paddle. Sounds like a good deal.

Wonder if anybody will share any fishing locations? Or are these things best kept secret?

Thanks Poorsucker. A while ago somebody posted, there is a shop that sells new Feelfree kayaks in Baan bang makham. Coming from Maenam, on the left before Nathon. They start off at 12,000B incl a paddle. Sounds like a good deal.

Wonder if anybody will share any fishing locations? Or are these things best kept secret?

Well I think you have hit the perfect spot on Samui for kayaking, although I am not sure about fishing, when I go fishing the fish always go into hiding... ;):oI don't even bother anymore... but there are fishing boats in the area, so one has to assume there are fish somewhere!

The Thaling Gnam area some nice bays... Just happened to be out that way today, it's one of the nicest areas on the island... (some may not agree!!!)

I was actually surprised to see how much building was going on in the area... especially the south west corner, (snake farm area)... which I believe is still T.G.

Weather permitting tomorrow, we're planing a fishing boat trip in the area, which should include Kotan and other islands in the area.... so may have more to report...

I must check out that kayak shop in Nanthon sometime!

There are some nice islands for fishing on westcoast but I think it will be bit far for kayak fishing.

East coast has more fishing site for kayak fishing as East coast is deeper than West coast in general.

If you live in Taling gam area the land between Lipa noi beach and Taling nam beach might be good.

If you can take your kayak to East coast Koh Som(infront of Bophut) is good and also small Island Koh Kon(infront of Chongmon)

is even better.

There are some nice islands for fishing on westcoast but I think it will be bit far for kayak fishing.

East coast has more fishing site for kayak fishing as East coast is deeper than West coast in general.

If you live in Taling gam area the land between Lipa noi beach and Taling nam beach might be good.

If you can take your kayak to East coast Koh Som(infront of Bophut) is good and also small Island Koh Kon(infront of Chongmon)

is even better.

Thanks. Thats encouraging. Yeah, i should be able to get my kayak over to the east coast. Found Koh Som easily but i cant find anything online showing Koh Kon... Off Chongmon, is it near Koh Fan Noi?

Have you been fishing here yourself?

Koh Kon is very small rock right in front of Chong Mon beach.

I have been there 4times.

We can not expect fish bigger than 20cm around Koh Som but I (or my party) always catch fish over 30cm at Koh Kon.

Koh Taen at south is also good.

I forgot about Koh Matran just off from Chaweng, water is quite deep there.Koh Matran is also good.

I never use lure here, It would be nice if I can fish GT around Koh Samui by hopper lure.

(I know some people catch GT aroud Marine Park)

After going to Mudsum and Koh Taen (AKA Koh Tan) depending on which sign you read ! on week end ... Koh Taen is certainly a bigger Island than meets the eye from Samui! But both Islands are very beautiful...

Apparently wild boar running around the island, to watch out for!!! Nice little resort there too.... Powered by wind and sun....

I'd say for people who are fit it could be doable by Kayak... although we took a long tail boat ... the Kayak pictured had been brought across on a long tail as part of a day trip... by another party...

Probably easy to camp and do over-nighter. It would be easy to rent a long tail taxi to do the long leg of the trip...

I believe correct in saying that some if not all the "Five Islands" are protected and restricted areas??? Perhaps too far for most people to attempt....anyway... neither a trip to do alone...

Yesterday, I saw an obviously long term "farang" resident who had made a trailer to pull his Kayak around the island with a motorbike... hmmm.... good idea me thinks! I even waved him down to get a closer look! For one that does not have a truck or live on the beach, it could be the answer!

Thinking there would not be many people on these islands, I was somewhat surprised that by lunch time, about five boat loads of people had done the same trip..... one beach became too crowded.... we had to leave... :D

So many places to discover on and around Samui!

post-85461-0-37967900-1318383423_thumb.j

post-85461-0-41318000-1318384882_thumb.j

Koh Kon is very small rock right in front of Chong Mon beach.

I have been there 4times.

We can not expect fish bigger than 20cm around Koh Som but I (or my party) always catch fish over 30cm at Koh Kon.

Koh Taen at south is also good.

I forgot about Koh Matran just off from Chaweng, water is quite deep there.Koh Matran is also good.

I never use lure here, It would be nice if I can fish GT around Koh Samui by hopper lure.

(I know some people catch GT aroud Marine Park)

I think that this is the place that is a avourite spot for the guy who owns the restaurant on Tongson Beach (Tongson Bungalows) We ordered a fish from him once and the snapper was enough for 6 people - half was BBQ'ed and the other half was deep fried. The snapper was at least 40cm long. Barracuda and dolphins have also been spotted there just off Tongson Beach.

The Kayak store in Nanthon has a branch in Lamai too, I found out today... I stopped at both...

I wish these stores would mark prices, ...the salesman kept walking away, makes it really hard to remember what price is for which kayak, although I realize it is low season for sales... but there could have been a bit more effort...

The salesman at the second shop at least gave me a business card... I just left without the feeling they wanted to sell anything... ?? :unsure: admittedly I am not in the market right now, but will I go back, when /if I am, I am not sure...?

Between Snake farm and Muslim village the is a shop on right side selling plastic fishing boats,(and water tanks) at 7000 baht each, not sure how they would do, would not mind trying out... yes, not a Kayak....

But of course one could always make one's own from old barrels.... that would be a barrel of fun! :D ! (first pic) :o

post-85461-0-87627900-1318951210_thumb.j

post-85461-0-20066900-1318951251_thumb.j

wake bikes are the b+++ks they have peddels and they are on like a cateramanan stule of ski set up.

with rod holders on the back. bait boxes in the boat and keep stuff Iice boxes.

ther is a new Kayak shop in Hua Thananon about 500 meters after the grand mother and farth rock on the beach side i shall get my tape measure out later to get the exact didtance from the rocks. cheers

Edited by BigC

although we took a long tail boat ...

Probably easy to camp and do over-nighter. It would be easy to rent a long tail taxi to do the long leg of the trip...

How much was the charge for the long tail trip Jimmy?

Is it legal to camp on the beach over there? love to be able to do that...

Edited by BangrakBob

wake bikes are the b+++ks they have peddels and they are on like a cateramanan stule of ski set up.

with rod holders on the back. bait boxes in the boat and keep stuff Iice boxes.

ther is a new Kayak shop in Hua Thananon about 500 meters after the grand mother and farth rock on the beach side i shall get my tape measure out later to get the exact didtance from the rocks. cheers

I think this is the same shop, I was in, I did not measure exact distance... from here or there... ;)

Well you need to shop around on prices.... there many water taxi guys around that area... especially on that stretch of road before the Snake farm, several restaurants along that part, and I think I noticed yet another 7-11 which is new.... I guess the Mini Mart on the corner opposite the snake farm needs competition :)

The one we used was arranged by the handicapped young man in wheel chair, near The Elements Resort....

Prices seem to range from 1000 baht to 5000 baht for the day, actually I think the 5000 baht trip was only four hour, now I think about it.... it does pay to ask around!

As for camping, I am not sure, but I think if one asked at the resort on Koh Tan, they would probably let you do it, we actually did see some tents there. but could have been staff???? (they have restaurant there too... Which would be useful! )

As for camping on beaches, I am not certain how things work, but I think probably easy to "hide" behind behind a big rock... but keep in mind now, the tides are starting to get quite high... not to mention the weather is now starting to change,,, :annoyed:

I know on at least one of the Islands in the National Marine Park, there are tents, one can rent... (if memory serves, it's 300 or 400 baht per night.)... I am not sure about using one's own tent...

I am certain one could arrange drop off and pick up, with a kayak, with some of the day tour or water taxi services... I will try to do some asking around... if I get a mo! :D

Well you need to shop around on prices.... there many water taxi guys around that area... especially on that stretch of road before the Snake farm, several restaurants along that part, and I think I noticed yet another 7-11 which is new.... I guess the Mini Mart on the corner opposite the snake farm needs competition :)

The one we used was arranged by the handicapped young man in wheel chair, near The Elements Resort....

Prices seem to range from 1000 baht to 5000 baht for the day, actually I think the 5000 baht trip was only four hour, now I think about it.... it does pay to ask around!

As for camping, I am not sure, but I think if one asked at the resort on Koh Tan, they would probably let you do it, we actually did see some tents there. but could have been staff???? (they have restaurant there too... Which would be useful! )

As for camping on beaches, I am not certain how things work, but I think probably easy to "hide" behind behind a big rock... but keep in mind now, the tides are starting to get quite high... not to mention the weather is now starting to change,,, :annoyed:

I know on at least one of the Islands in the National Marine Park, there are tents, one can rent... (if memory serves, it's 300 or 400 baht per night.)... I am not sure about using one's own tent...

I am certain one could arrange drop off and pick up, with a kayak, with some of the day tour or water taxi services... I will try to do some asking around... if I get a mo! :D

Cheers Jimmy

From reading above, trips vary in price. All day fishing tour 9 to 3 around Bht 1,500 including pick up & lunch. The Bht 5,000 trip as one of the previous posters mentioned, is an overnight deep sea fishing trip.

Just to commute from Thong Krut to Koh Taen . you will be charged for the whole boat, so better to have a few people, return trip should be anything from 1,500 to 2,000. Remember they wait there for you.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Jimmy, can you remember what sort of price it was for a single seater kayak? Less than B12,000? More?

If i get time, I'll go and check this week. Probably pick one up.

I'll post the different prices.

Cheers

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Jimmy, can you remember what sort of price it was for a single seater kayak? Less than B12,000? More?

If i get time, I'll go and check this week. Probably pick one up.

I'll post the different prices.

Cheers

Sorry prices did not fully register... there were some (two I think) one person kayaks but was more interested in 2 man sit on top kayaks... those prices were in mid to high 20,000 baht range...

I did inquire about the folding type, got the impression they were inflatable but they "NO HAVE" in stock...

I would not mind finding a Hobbie dealer, and find a Kayak with foot peddles... I've seen a couple around, Koa Toa, so they must be available somewhere... any one know...? perhaps I should google that!

That is what I had before moving here! ... it would not have been easy or cheap to ship! ;)

I would not mind finding a Hobbie dealer, and find a Kayak with foot peddles... I've seen a couple around, Koa Toa, so they must be available somewhere... any one know...? perhaps I should google that!

Hey Jimmy

Hobie importers are Blue Wave Watersports, they do deliver to Samui and KPG as they have supplied to several watersports operators and resorts. Details on the paddle kayaks on the Hobie web site. You could even add a sail and outriggers to make it a real all rounder. Not cheap but rotomolded PE virtually indestructible.

Cheers - Peter

Hey Jimmy

Hobie importers are Blue Wave Watersports, they do deliver to Samui and KPG as they have supplied to several watersports operators and resorts. Details on the paddle kayaks on the Hobie web site. You could even add a sail and outriggers to make it a real all rounder. Not cheap but rotomolded PE virtually indestructible.

Cheers - Peter

Thanks Peter, just like this one? ...

I had forgotten there is one at Grand father Grand Mother Rocks.... yes that would be the whole nine yards... all fitted out.. :) I might go test this one out, with sail and outriggers.... I assume this one is for rent so might go check out one day.... just hope no Jet skiers around if I do! :unsure:

Too bad this one sits in the sun when not in use, certainly will shorten life expectancy ... :rolleyes:

post-85461-0-25532600-1319373780_thumb.j