Thailand Battles To Keep Floods From Bangkok

webfact

BREAKING NEWS

Thailand battles to keep floods from Bangkok

BANGKOK, October 7, 2011 (AFP) - Thailand stepped up efforts Friday to protect Bangkok and key industrial areas from the worst floods in decades, with homes, roads and factories already inundated just north of the capital.

Many residents ignored the government's appeal to evacuate to safe areas, preferring to stay and guard homes submerged by the rising waters, which have left 252 people dead.

The authorities raced to put up flood walls alongside canals and rivers on Bangkok's northern outskirts as huge amounts of muddy water flow down river after more than two months of unusually heavy monsoon rains.

"Nothing could be worse than the current situation, but the most important thing is to prevent flooding in Bangkok and two industrial estates" north of the city, said Science and Technology Minister Plodprasop Suraswadi.

A key test for the authorities is expected in mid-October when large amounts of run-off water reaches the low-lying capital and high tides make it harder for the floods to flow out to sea.

"Every canal in Bangkok is already at full capacity. If more rain comes it's likely that Bangkok will be inundated," Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said on Thai television.

He said the city was preparing emergency stocks of food and drinking water, and setting up evacuation centres at schools.

The floods -- several metres deep in places -- have damaged the homes or livelihoods of millions of people, particularly farmers, according to the government.

The military has been deployed to help victims and army camps are being opened to evacuees.

Japanese car giant Honda has suspended production temporarily after its parts factories was inundated in Ayutthaya, the ancient capital just north of Bangkok.

According to economists at the University of Thai Chamber of Commerce, the damage amounts to 104 billion baht (3.4 billion dollars) in terms of the impact on buildings, crops, livestock, industry, tourism and trade.

It said the impact could knock about one percent off the country's annual economic output.

While the government sounded optimistic that it could prevent Bangkok from becoming flooded, independent experts appeared less confident.

"Certainly Bangkok will be flooded. We have to assess the situation after each storm," said Royal Chitradon, director of Thai Integrated Water Resource Management.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2011-10-07

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some sois in On Nut Rd. area are having draining problems... the rain comes, they get "full" of water (10-20cm) and the water remains there for days, having nowhere to go (the khlongs are almost at street level). I don't walk, I drive... but it smells really bad. (and the other day I say a small girl "fishing" on the street... urgh :sick: )

Edited by LeoViotti

Some sois in On Nut Rd. area are having draining problems... the rain comes, they get "full" of water (10-20cm) and the water remains there for days, having nowhere to go (the khlongs are almost at street level). I don't walk, I drive... but it smells really bad. (and the other day I say a small girl "fishing" on the street... urgh :sick: )

I think (correct me if I am wrong) what goes in the tubes under the toilet will be pushed up to street level again if the everything is overloaded with water, right?

Thai flood death toll reaches 244

2011-10-07 19:30:26 GMT+7 (ICT)

BANGKOK (BNO NEWS) -- Heavy monsoon rains across the Asian country of Thailand have left at least 244 people killed in recent months, according to the latest reports released on Friday.

Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department director Wibul Sanguanpong said the ongoing flooding has hit 201 districts in 28 provinces, affecting 2.6 million people and damaging more than 7.5 million rai (1.2 million hectares) of farmland. As of Thursday, 244 people are confirmed dead while three others remain missing, the Bangkok Post reported.

Wibul also said the amount of water in major dam reservoirs is still at a critical level and warned of flash flooding in several low-lying areas. In Ayutthaya province, authorities alerted residents to evacuate their belongings to safe ground immediately as more flooding was expected to hit the area in the coming days.

Ayutthaya governor Witthaya Piewpong said that flooding in the province is expected to reach a critical point in the next days as overflow from the Lop Buri, Pasak and Chao Phraya rivers would add to existing flood woes in the province. At least one hospital has been temporarily closed because of flooding, according to the Bangkok Post.

In addition, inmates at the Ayutthaya Central Prison were also being evacuated after the prison compound was flooded. Corrections Department deputy director-general Somsak Rangsiyopas said about 600 of the total 1,766 inmates had been moved to nearby prisons.

tvn.png

-- © BNO News All rights reserved 2011-10-07

It would actually be a blessing in disguise if some areas of the capital flooded.

some of the khlongs, San Saeb comes to mind, are nothing but open sewers filled with black,fetid water that can prove fatal if one is unlucky enough to fall in.

Flushing out the drain system would not be a bad thing either. I hate to think what's down there except millions of rats.

Edited by ratcatcher

I think (correct me if I am wrong) what goes in the tubes under the toilet will be pushed up to street level again if the everything is overloaded with water, right?

If all the crap goes into the khlongs, then yes, I would think so. But being Bangkok a modern city, in terms, I would guess the sewage system would go straight into the ocean, no? that's what they do in the bigger coastal cities in Brazil at least, we call it "emissários submarinos", something like "submerged drainage system", which brings all that kind of things 10-12km down the ocean.

Any link to this so called Thai-stradamus?

Wish I had one. Unfortunately, what I had was a Thai language version (old Lanna dialect) that my Thai niece was reading, and then translated for me. Trust me when I say her English is as good as most on here, despite the fact she's only 15. But I'll see if I she still has it, and try to get a copy to send you.

Bangkok seems poised on the edge of a human catastrophe as there is no way the authorities can provide disaster relief to the millions who will be trapped. They have done precious little for the much smaller communities up country. Meanwhile, instead of dispensing sensible advice to the people the government just has blithering idiots like Plodprasod pretending that all is well and tooling around with barge propellers like a mentally retarded little kid.

Meanwhile, instead of dispensing sensible advice to the people the government just has blithering idiots like Plodprasod pretending that all is well and tooling around with barge propellers like a mentally retarded little kid.

Dont think you are allowed mention the barge propellers....:whistling:

Meanwhile, instead of dispensing sensible advice to the people the government just has blithering idiots like Plodprasod pretending that all is well and tooling around with barge propellers like a mentally retarded little kid.

Surely someone who is a minister of the governmentwould not suggest that barges have propellers............would he?

If all the crap goes into the khlongs, then yes, I would think so. But being Bangkok a modern city, in terms, I would guess the sewage system would go straight into the ocean, no? that's what they do in the bigger coastal cities in Brazil at least, we call it "emissários submarinos", something like "submerged drainage system", which brings all that kind of things 10-12km down the ocean.

No I mean that the waste water tubes and the tubes for draining the rain water are the same tubes (in Austria they are), so when the khlong goes over it goes into the next tube for waste water and lift everything up. For example if it his raining here and you push the toilet button the water does not go down and a nice soup keeps staying in the toilet (area Thaveewattana)

(I would be happy if I am wrong)

pretending that all is well and tooling around with barge propellers like a mentally retarded little kid.

I really dislike seeing comments re the kids, as it is not their choice, I know some kids that have the said problems and wish they didn't. But I totally understand what your saying about the top leader in Science. Mind Boggles doesn't. annoyed.gif

Bloody boat props laugh.gif

Surely someone who is a minister of the governmentwould not suggest that barges have propellers............would he?

Of course not minister's in the goverment whose portfolio includes scientific research would know from his many years at a top university studing the sciences that barges typically dont have propellers and are in fact towed...:D

Edited by Soutpeel

... especially considering the exalted position of He who was the first to propose this method of drainage acceleration about 2 decades ago (if I remember the date correctly) :whistling:

It would actually be a blessing in disguise if some areas of the capital flooded.

some of the khlongs, San Saeb comes to mind, are nothing but open sewers filled with black,fetid water that can prove fatal if one is unlucky enough to fall in.

Flushing out the drain system would not be a bad thing either. I hate to think what's down there except millions of rats.

Here here ! My thoughts exactly. It's about time the sewers ( and other areas ) of Bangkok had a good flushing. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to walk along the street without the constant foul smell emitting from the drains. Shame so many people have to suffer though. Why can't Bangkok have storm drains like in the usa ? Then, when there's no water in them, overflow traffic could use them.....:whistling:

Here here ! My thoughts exactly. It's about time the sewers ( and other areas ) of Bangkok had a good flushing. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to walk along the street without the constant foul smell emitting from the drains. Shame so many people have to suffer though. Why can't Bangkok have storm drains like in the usa ? Then, when there's no water in them, overflow traffic could use them.....:whistling:

I agree with the idea of flushing, but that has nothing to do with flooding, I think. If by flooding dirty water gets spread over great areas in the city, a health disaster can be in the making.

Assuming we don't get more than a foot of water in the streets (inner city that is, sorry), where can I apply for those super boots invented by the Science Minstry ?

Edited by rubl

can anyone advise what is the best website if any to monitor the latest situation in different parts of Bangkok as to whether an area has become impassable t? I am particularly interested in the area around Morchit as I will be arriving there by NCA bus from the North on Monday and hopefully departing from there five days later.

Edited by khaan

Bangkok seems poised on the edge of a human catastrophe as there is no way the authorities can provide disaster relief to the millions who will be trapped. They have done precious little for the much smaller communities up country. Meanwhile, instead of dispeynsing sensible advice to the people the government just has blithering idiots like Plodprasod pretending that all is well and tooling around with barge propellers like a mentally retarded little kid.

you hit it right on the head denial is best for this lot.

Bangkok seems poised on the edge of a human catastrophe as there is no way the authorities can provide disaster relief to the millions who will be trapped. They have done precious little for the much smaller communities up country. Meanwhile, instead of dispeynsing sensible advice to the people the government just has blithering idiots like Plodprasod pretending that all is well and tooling around with barge propellers like a mentally retarded little kid.

you hit it right on the head denial is best for this lot.

Good suggestion nicky, but as far as this lot are concerned, denial is in Egypt.

I can assure you it would not be a blessing in disguise. Hope you've all had your cholera jabs ?

It may even show the people from BKK that they aren't so high and mighty. I do agree with you that the canals if they were flushed would be like flushing an overused toilet at a train station. Much like what happened in Phuket after the tsunami. The water was actually clear for a few months. Maybe mother nature tries to send a message from time to time? Perhaps people should listen.

I've seen 2 businesses putting up sandbags in Bang Kapi and the canals are almost up to the sidewalks. But so far, no spill over.

Specifics would be greatly appreciated. It's a big district and straddles the area between "flooded" and "dry" areas of Bangkok.

What happens in Bang Kapi is a good indicator of the direction things will go in the days ahead.

OK this might sound stupid but I am just pissed off with the wife. We had planed to visit the family in Korat (Phimai) over the school hols, we are in C/M. However due to all the rain and flooding it's looking like it could be a problem, I asked her to find out if we can drive there OK or not. She has not made the phone call to ask the police about the roads and to find out the best way to go.

So can any one tell me if it is sensible to attempt to drive down this Sunday or not?