Thailand Battles To Keep Floods From Bangkok

webfact

25 years ago you had to take to some form of boat if you wanted to venture further down Sukhumvit than Thonglor in the floods, but now BKK BTS is nicely elevated above any flooding.

BKK trains are electric powered and BKK eletrical systems have a certain repution though.

Just pondering, as a non-electricianalical type :whistling:

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen 2 businesses putting up sandbags in Bang Kapi and the canals are almost up to the sidewalks. But so far, no spill over.

Specifics would be greatly appreciated. It's a big district and straddles the area between "flooded" and "dry" areas of Bangkok.

What happens in Bang Kapi is a good indicator of the direction things will go in the days ahead.

Was referring to the area near the Mall Bang Kapi. I'm still new here. It's definitely still rising and a couple side streets nearby are flooded, but cars are still driving through it.

Two hours ago I have talked with business owners and a hotel in Mahatai/Ramkhamhaeng area. They expect the flood to come, starting at midnight. The hotel put sandbags in front even it's on one of the highest levels in that area. SMSs go around amongs locals here warning each other. They say it's not just the flood situation, but also the constellation of our planet that shifts every 30 years which falls exactly on today midnight. Klong SanSaeb is wobbling like a beast while the roads are still dry at the moment, but that could change within hours from now. In the evening, the major amount of water to reach Bangkok was only 7 km away.

" SMSs go around amongs locals here warning each other. They say it's not just the flood situation, but also the constellation of our planet that shifts every 30 years which falls exactly on today midnight."

Do we really have to read about stupid people's gullibility and superstition? "..... the constellation of our planet........"?:blink:

Two hours ago I have talked with business owners and a hotel in Mahatai/Ramkhamhaeng area. They expect the flood to come, starting at midnight. The hotel put sandbags in front even it's on one of the highest levels in that area. SMSs go around amongs locals here warning each other. They say it's not just the flood situation, but also the constellation of our planet that shifts every 30 years which falls exactly on today midnight. Klong SanSaeb is wobbling like a beast while the roads are still dry at the moment, but that could change within hours from now. In the evening, the major amount of water to reach Bangkok was only 7 km away.

" SMSs go around amongs locals here warning each other. They say it's not just the flood situation, but also the constellation of our planet that shifts every 30 years which falls exactly on today midnight."

Do we really have to read about stupid people's gullibility and superstition? "..... the constellation of our planet........"?:blink:

yes if the planet tilt to one side, all the water flows to one side, considering that the world is flat.

with hundreds of thousands of people in need of food and shelter (more on the way) does anyone have any info on what Thais can expect from the Government. What kind of support, welfare etc. is forth coming.

I am on a non B visa and treated as such, i need to report every 90 days, re - apply for ext each year, however I am currently supporting and housing 6 Thai's - more on the way. This is not my job, it is the Governments job and Thai peoples job.

Does anyone know if i toss all these Thais out where they will go and who will feed and shelter them?

Once dams are full upstream there isnt much you can do about floods. Other then try to help those hit hardest by it. This is true in any country, not just Thailand.

And for the sofa-generals currently snickering and blaming anything but themselves like small Frank Gallaghers, when Mother Nature strikes its one of the few times when you have to ask what you can do for the public, not what the public can do for you. So off your fat <deleted> and volunteer for something no matter how meaningless the task seems. Every effort helps and goes a long way when millions do those little deeds.

can anyone advise what is the best website if any to monitor the latest situation in different parts of Bangkok as to whether an area has become impassable t? I am particularly interested in the area around Morchit as I will be arriving there by NCA bus from the North on Monday and hopefully departing from there five days later.

The Highways Department have a Google Map showing roads that are flooded and cannot be passed (red), have flooding but can pass (green) and some alternative routes (blue):

http://maintenance.doh.go.th/

I think (correct me if I am wrong) what goes in the tubes under the toilet will be pushed up to street level again if the everything is overloaded with water, right?

It depends on how the pipes and draining system are projected. I'd expect something better than what I'm reading here, considering Bkk as such a rich and important city, but after 3 years in Asia, nothing surprises me.

I've been around today, On Nut, Phra Khanong, Ekkamai, Thong Lor, Ratchadapisek, Suttisan, and now in Pratunam (new name - Palladium), and haven't seen any flood, just the usual heavy traffic everywhere.

I think (correct me if I am wrong) what goes in the tubes under the toilet will be pushed up to street level again if the everything is overloaded with water, right?

It depends on how the pipes and draining system are projected. I'd expect something better than what I'm reading here, considering Bkk as such a rich and important city, but after 3 years in Asia, nothing surprises me.

I've been around today, On Nut, Phra Khanong, Ekkamai, Thong Lor, Ratchadapisek, Suttisan, and now in Pratunam (new name - Palladium), and haven't seen any flood, just the usual heavy traffic everywhere.

Unfortunately by the time work began on seriously upgrading the sewer system Bangkok was already heavily developed. This and a combination of other factors meant that much of the work was done without the vision & planning that such a system needs and was done on a piecemeal basis. Simple fact is that Bangkok has far less of a sewage carrying capacity than equivalent cities in the west.

Comparisons to floods of 20 years ago and earlier are misleading as in that time a huge amount of building has taken place without the corresponding increase in sewer capacity. Where those sewers are combined systems (carry waste water as well as sanitary waste) the potential for sewage back up in the event of a flood is huge.

The airport is fine - BUT their are transport problems if coming by bus from upcoutry - busses were stopped from P=loke yesterday evening because of floods on the reroute past Nakorn Sawan - Some friends ended up renting a mini van that went via Petchaboon valley and then headed south. This will be resolved in a day but friday night they were in a panic hehe

Some sois in On Nut Rd. area are having draining problems... the rain comes, they get "full" of water (10-20cm) and the water remains there for days, having nowhere to go (the khlongs are almost at street level). I don't walk, I drive... but it smells really bad. (and the other day I say a small girl "fishing" on the street... urgh :sick: )

Right, although it heavily depends on the specific weight of the "what goes into the tubes" and the direction of the flow from flood waters. What goes in the tubes is often heavier than water and should normally remain at the bottom, but an upwards stream can bring this stuff to the surface where it can release its smell and spread it over the neighbourhood. However some people produce excrement with lots of air inclusions that by another normal person can internally be separated from the smelly substance and released by a short but loud noise from a smelly airflow. In this case the brown smelly substance, commonly called in our language "shit", is a permanent hindrance for the neighbourhood when floating in flooding waters, until they recede. They should be carefully collected and packed into old plastic bags from 7/11 (that you can find everywhere in the flood waters) and then dumped into the bin with the other household garbage.

Some sois in On Nut Rd. area are having draining problems... the rain comes, they get "full" of water (10-20cm) and the water remains there for days, having nowhere to go (the khlongs are almost at street level). I don't walk, I drive... but it smells really bad. (and the other day I say a small girl "fishing" on the street... urgh :sick: )

Right, although it heavily depends on the specific weight of the "what goes into the tubes" and the direction of the flow from flood waters. What goes in the tubes is often heavier than water and should normally remain at the bottom, but an upwards stream can bring this stuff to the surface where it can release its smell and spread it over the neighbourhood. However some people produce excrement with lots of air inclusions that by another normal person can internally be separated from the smelly substance and released by a short but loud noise from a smelly airflow. In this case the brown smelly substance, commonly called in our language "shit", is a permanent hindrance for the neighbourhood when floating in flooding waters, until they recede. They should be carefully collected and packed into old plastic bags from 7/11 (that you can find everywhere in the flood waters) and then dumped into the bin with the other household garbage.

I have to compliment you dude. You really know Jack Schitt. Good information. Not sure Thai people are quite ready to get their schitt together though.

I have always wondered why more people do not build thier house on raised post platforms rather than at ground level knowing that every year there is a very good chance of flooding and damage to their houses.

If they argue that it is too much more expensive to build the house raised above the ground by 6 to 8 to 10 feet then they are mistaken because the cost of flooding several times over a 40 to 50 year period has got to be more expensive than the initial costs to build the house above flood water marks.

You sometimes see the raised house designs while travelling around parts of Thailand ...but not nearly as much as is warranted by the extent of flooding that occurs every year.

Just thinking.

Edited by gemguy

Gemguy,

Traditional Thai houses were built that way, but, unfortunately, Thai architects have decided to throw all that knowledge out the window. Traditional Thai houses sit high on posts which not only elevate the structure to protect from flooding, but allow it to capture breezes better, help keep varmin out, control termites, store the carriage under, provide a cool place for the neighborhood dog pack, etc. The high, ventilated roofs control heat; the large overhangs keep the rain out and the sun off the walls while capturing breezes; and the lightweight wood structure does not store heat, so it cools very quickly in the evenings. Now, it seems architects design houses only for curb appeal. Everything goes against nature, especially the high thermal mass of masonry construction and the unventilated hip roofs. But this is getting off topic...

Nowadays, before a new house is built, fill dirt is brought in - raising the ground about a meter. I don't know if a meter will be high enough for this coming flood.

I live in Phrapradaeng, the "Lungs of Bangkok" - that green area just south of Bangkok. I would love to build a small house here, and if I did, it would be high up on stilts.

I see the river every day, and it has already been coming over the seawall in some places during high tides. I expect the island to become completely flooded. I live on the second floor, so I am stockpiling food and water in preparation to camp out for a while.

I have always wondered why more people do not build thier house on raised post platforms rather than at ground level knowing that every year there is a very good chance of flooding and damage to their houses.

If they argue that it is too much more expensive to build the house raised above the ground by 6 to 8 to 10 feet then they are mistaken because the cost of flooding several times over a 40 to 50 year period has got to be more expensive than the initial costs to build the house above flood water marks.

You sometimes see the raised house designs while travelling around parts of Thailand ...but not nearly as much as is warranted by the extent of flooding that occurs every year.

Just thinking.

317780.jpg

I moved right on the river in Chiang mai,they just finished a big wall on my side of the river, it worked,thank God, by the way, Can i get to Chiang mai from Bangkok by car, next week, any opinions or forecasts? currently in OZ, thanks.