Bangkok Ranked Number One Food & Wine Destination In Asia

sabaijai

I love Thai food, but there is also so much other food in the world that is great...in places that has decent wine.

And here we clearly suffer from having a very limited subset of wines imported...to very high prices.

And how anyone can mention insects and food in the same article...well... :rolleyes: Sure, it is exotic...

What do you think shrimp and lobsters are? They are insects!! ... i.e., arthropods that live in the sea. We like to eat what we're culturally used to. Indeed it was a very adventurous caveman who at the first oyster.

Hmmn......... So Herbal Ed doesn't distinguish between an insect and lobster. Gordon Ramsay he isn't....!

Remove the Wine from "Food & Wine" and add the South East to the "Asia", and I agree 100%.

Better yet remove the Wine part and add an L to food. Thailand is the #1 Flood destination of Asia.

Very good...now where's that bottle of Cabernet ?....:D

Cabernet Sauvignon is easy to find in Thailand; I guess at least 50 % of the red wines here around.

It becomes more difficult if you are looking e.g. for an authentic Gewürztraminer or pinot grigio.

Edited by DickFarang

who comes up with this S@#t?

TripAdvisor never asked ME what I thought about this topic.

Ridiculous to call Thailand anything related to wine.

They import.

They make a few terrible local wines (or have ceased trying).

Seems more like a report on where to find good cooking classed while here on tour.

Ask "who benefits" from this and you'll probably find out why it was published.

I've eaten Thai food most of my life and it's quite OK but "THE BEST" in any way, shape, form???

Another total <deleted> survey who keeps dreaming these things up

Thais eat their food and then WHINE. Another T.A.T paid for promotion ???? How is it that Thailand and It's airline are never out of any Asian and world top 3 rankings ????................Yet tourism is down and out near. But it is always saying tourism is on the increase. """ can you remember the saying that crept into U.K. years ago, all of a sudden----- It was...........in real terms... that used to make me laugh, like this load of rubbish poll.

Come on it is not bad here for reasonable affordable decent food ..but this takes the biscuit :lol::partytime2::burp::cheesy:

Cabernet Sauvignon is easy to find in Thailand; I guess at least 50 % of the red wines here around.

It becomes more difficult if you are looking e.g. for an authentic Gewürztraminer or pinot grigio.

Thanks...Mr Dick, comment was actually made a little tongue in cheek...I generally have no problems finding the Cabernet I drink even though its scary expensive in comparision with the retail cost in the country of origin.

No mention of wine at all in this article apart from the title that is, but then how could anywhere with a 200% tax on wine be a top 10 wine destination in asia..............

It's about 440% tax actually, all told, so a recent Big Chilli article said.

Yes, that's about right.

I looked into the possibility of importing bulk wine into Thailand a few years ago, but taxes / duties made it a non-starter, even though I can source very cheap, very drinkable wine.

I've never understood why the tax on wine is so punitive. It's not as if they have a domestic wine industry they're trying to protect.

I've never understood why the tax on wine is so punitive. It's not as if they have a domestic wine industry they're trying to protect.

It's the same reason why base model cars like BMWs and Mercedes are nearly five times the price you could buy in the U.S.

The government feels this is the only way they can extract benefit from the ultra rich and upper middle class. However, the general impression is that the super rich can just import luxury cars tax-free anyways through illegal imports by ship or border crossing so these high luxury tax laws really only effect middle/upper middle class bangkokians and foreigners.

For some things like Beer it's to protect domestic Thai beverage semi-monopolies. If they didn't heavily tax imported beer then Thai brands would most likely cease to exist overnight because the options overseas are so much better.

It is the best global city for THAI food though.

Not sure, the best Thai food I have ever eaten was in Europe, not in Thailand.

Thai food outside of Thailand is altered to cater for the farang taste. What you eat in your country is not authentic thai food so you can not compare

maybe a cheap city to get a bowl of rice soup in ..........best city in asia for food and wine is taking the piss

did they forget to check all the other cities in asia ?

they have belgian and german beers in my local off-licence

the bottles are half the size and 3 x times more expensive than thai beers .....wonder why ?

:rolleyes: