Scooters & Bikes

hlyjsn

Hello there

I’ve been in Thailand for a year now but have recently movedto Pattaya. I have 3 questions for theforum. Please bear with me while I provide context.

I’ve heard all the horror stories about bikes and scooters,so I’m suitably Very Scared. I haven’t driven a bike/scooter before; I only have acar DL. I’m fed up of being stuck at home or at the mercy of baht busses andtaxis. I live on Pratumnak Hill and slightly off the regular baht bus route.The robbing so&sos are trying to skin me for THB 200 to get down the hill.Sometimes I get lucky and a bus stops half way down and I only have to pay THB20, sometimes I’m unlucky and arrive in Pattaya town drenched in sweat. To getback to my place costs THB 35 – a baht bus drops me off on Thappraya road and thenI jump on a bike taxi. All in all each way’s a bit of a mission. I need tostart going to gym (wherever, so long as it’s got decent cardio, aircon andisn’t too pricey) or I’ll go crazy. When I finish gym I’m soaking wet sogetting on a bus or the back of a bike taxi isn’t ideal.

The way I see it, I have three options. (a) Learn how todrive a scooter, (B) come to a reasonable monthly fee arrangement with a biketaxi or © find a gym down the road within very easy walking distance of CozyBeach. To this end here are my questions:

- Is anyone able to refer me to a switched onperson who can give me lessons and teach me to drive a scooter? Best ways todrive defensively, stay alive and in one piece, advise on gear such as best EUapproved helmet, shoes, jacket etc .. Failing this ..

- Does anyone know of a bike taxi that’d bewilling to take a monthly fee for taking me to gym and a few other easy placesin Pattaya or Jomtien? I’d change into a dry T-shirt and other than gym wouldonly want them to take me to occasional other places, nothing at all in theboonies, easy stuff and only during day time. Other times I have no problemwalking until I come across a baht bus. Failing this ..

- Can anyone give me a steer to a gym close by toCozy Beach. Just down the street - easy walking distance to & fromPratumnak Hill, aircon, cardio and reasonable monthly fee.

I’d be grateful for any guidance you’re able to provide as I'd like to get moving on any of the 3 options as soon as possible.

Thanks in advance

Haley

I live on Pratumnak Hill and slightly off the regular baht bus route.The robbing so&sos are trying to skin me for THB 200 to get down the hill.Sometimes I get lucky and a bus stops half way down and I only have to pay THB20, sometimes I’m unlucky and arrive in Pattaya town drenched in sweat. To getback to my place costs THB 35 – a baht bus drops me off on Thappraya road and thenI jump on a bike taxi.

Not sure exactly which route you are taking, but it costs precisely 10B to go from Central Pattaya (South Rd or even as far as Central) to anywhere on Thappraya Rd or as far as Jomtien. The fee is identical for the return trip, just flag one down anywhere on the route. Dont ask the fare, just give 10B

So you should never pay more than 20B round trip plus whatever you need to pay the motosai, if you cant walk that part.

As for getting your own bike: lots of people do so. Some regret it when they have an accident. As long as you take care it seems like a reasonable idea.

Edited by Rimmer
Quote fixed

Lots of people ride scooters and have no problems. But many have had accidents. Pretty much every person I know who rides has had an accident at one time or another.

If you frequent beer bars, ask the girls to show their scars....pretty much every one has a "souvenir" to show.

Traffic in Pattaya is crazy. Parking may be crazy, but I will only drive my car.

Just my humble opinion. :jap:

Why not use a Meter Taxi?

They charge 35 baht, no?

Pattaya doesn't have metered taxis. Even though their sign says so! :(

I have some friends who know a Thai guy who drives them wherever they want for a very reasonable price. Otherwise, they use the baht bus or scooter taxis. I agree with the OP, I don't like scooter taxis.

They charge 35 baht, no?

No. They dont use their meters and charge waaaaay over the top fares.

This should be reported to the Mayor.

Doesn't the city have a contract with the taxi company?

They charge 35 baht, no?

No. They dont use their meters and charge waaaaay over the top fares.

This should be reported to the Mayor.

Doesn't the city have a contract with the taxi company?

Right up there for joke of the day!!!:lol: :lol:

if you are staying Thailand for a long term you really need to learn to ride a scooter.... if you can ride a bicycle you should be able to hop on a scooter without too much bother.. Get yourself a full face 'index' helmet for about 1000 baht and rent a 'twist and go' scooter with no gears like Click or Mio,....take it easy at first, say keep it under 30 km until you get used to,

when driving around town, keep your back brake covered and don't use the front brake if there is even a hint of sand/dust on the road.... you are mostly likely to fall off once you get over confident and start speeding...

As long as you go slow you shouldn't have any problem and even if you do have a slow speed spill, its not the end if the world !...

although, i would avoid Pratamnuk hill until you are comfortable on the bike... as it is pretty steep.. go around the other way....

if you can ride a bycyle a motor bike should be easily learnt. fully auto better i would think. i would forget all the defensive driving stuff they teach in europe as that teaches driving in the centre of the lane and here that will cause you problems. as for helemt 6000 baht from ebay from England as will be the be the next one. although thanks to exchange rates maybe 8-10000. try aussie e bay as some times postage costs less.

I would suggest the OP just go out buy or rent a suitable automatic scooter - we are not talking a dangerous mission like flying to the moon. For gods sake 12 year old Thai kids do it all the time! You will find everything suddenly accessible, easy parking, inexpensive to operate and also alot of fun. Just start slowly as previously suggested, drive defensively and don't drink.

i would forget all the defensive driving stuff they teach in europe as that teaches driving in the centre of the lane and here that will cause you problems.

Defensive riding is essential for your safety especially the way they drive in Pattaya.

Positioning away from the centre and nearer to the curb can put you at risk to not being seen (or to see)

any vehicles entering from side roads, and parked cars opening doors on to you.

If you ride slowly then always keep at least 1 meter clearance away from parked cars.

It's usually not how good you drive, but how the others do. Many scooter accidents are due to the "other" driver. Like the 12 year olds who drive scooters with 2 pillion riders and no license.

That's why defensive riding is essential, cos there's many obstacles and idiot or "other drivers" to look out for.

you could always buy a cheap car?

NOTE

I personnaly NEVER drive a scooter, far to dangerous, and no matter how good a driver you are, there are just so many nut cases on the road !, and it is not a question IF but WHEN you will have a crash, or someone crashes into you ( i stopped driving when a taxi hit me !, oh and he never stopped, gave the taxi number to the police and they where not interested at all ! )

Edited by Boater

I know where you are, i lived in cozy beach right at the top of the hill and liked it but is awkward to get around without a descent walk factored in. Down the bottom of cozy beach near the cozy beach hotel are a bunch of permanent taxi tuk tuks. Your best bet is to strike a deal with one at a flat rate of 100bht then take his card and use him exclusively, that's what i did and he would pick me up and drop me home.

A scooter is easier to ride than a pushbike just point and go, just do it.. oh but under no circumstances ride at night if you can avoid it because its the drunken lout without lights that will take you unseen.,