Has Bkk Ever Flooded Out?

I have tried to find out if BKK has ever flooded out during the recent notable floods that may have caused delays(2010, 2011), anybody experience delays due to flooding? The latest story on which provinces are suspected to flood in bangkok, one of the provinces mentions is Lat Krabang. I show this province near BKK on the north side. I am flying into BKK on the 13-19th, but my concern is will I be able to fly out? Any good information would be helpful.

:whistling:

We just can't say for certain...but the way to the airport is mostly elevated...and it should be okay.

Just keep watching the news and asking anyone you can that might know the answer to that question.

October is the rainy season, and it's always possible to have a heavy thunderstorm that dumps a lot of rain in a 30 minute period.

Central Bangkok is drained by a system of pumps that are used to pump flood water out of that area...so today there is little long-term flooding in Bangkok itself. But it's always possible that a heay rain storm can temporarily overload the pump system...so you get local flash flooding in low lieing parts of the city.

Normally the pumps drain that out after a few hours at the most.

I don't know, but I assume that they have installed a similar system at the airport.

I think your chances are pretty good.

You weren't lucky in your chice of dates however. Those dates are also going to coincide with the monthly highest tides (based on the moon) so that means if there is a heavy rain it's going to be harder to pump that water into the river...which will be affected by the high tide where it empties into the sea south of Bangkok.

:unsure:

TRAFFIC delays on the way to the airport if it rains heavily....that is another natter...so give yourself plenty of time to get there...don't count on a schedule.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

:whistling:

We just can't say for certain...but the way to the airport is mostly elevated...and it should be okay.

Just keep watching the news and asking anyone you can that might know the answer to that question.

October is the rainy season, and it's always possible to have a heavy thunderstorm that dumps a lot of rain in a 30 minute period.

Central Bangkok is drained by a system of pumps that are used to pump flood water out of that area...so today there is little long-term flooding in Bangkok itself. But it's always possible that a heay rain storm can temporarily overload the pump system...so you get local flash flooding in low lieing parts of the city.

Normally the pumps drain that out after a few hours at the most.

I don't know, but I assume that they have installed a similar system at the airport.

I think your chances are pretty good.

You weren't lucky in your chice of dates however. Those dates are also going to coincide with the monthly highest tides (based on the moon) so that means if there is a heavy rain it's going to be harder to pump that water into the river...which will be affected by the high tide where it empties into the sea south of Bangkok.

:unsure:

TRAFFIC delays on the way to the airport if it rains heavily....that is another natter...so give yourself plenty of time to get there...don't count on a schedule.

IMA,

Thank you for your knowledge, it does help out. Yes I know the dates are terrible, but what can I do (I planned this in May). But I did find some interesting numbers in an news story, I will post. I understand heavy rains, but there is nothing that shows what is predicted (7 Billion cubic meters of water heading to Bangkok), can be handled by the systems installed. I wish someone would tell it by the numbers daily, so an outsider can make a sensible logical decision on 'is it really safe' to travel.

Just some information on the pumping capacity of BKK airport

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport flood prevention systems operational

September 23, 2011 | Filed under: Bangkok | Posted by: AIT BKK BANGKOK, 23 September 2011 (NNT) – Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport is preparing for the possible rise in water levels around the airport as the water runoff from the North continues to increase.

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) has sent a team of officers to inspect the areas around the airport and concluded that the current water levels do not pose a threat.

AoT further added Bangkok and its surrounding provinces could be in for possible inland flooding as heavy rains had been forecast this weekend in the Northeast.

The authority may try to relieve the inundation by allowing the runoff to flow into rivers which are going to Bangkok and Samut Prakan before reaching the ocean.

According to the AoT, there are 8 water stations to the south of the airport which could relieve as much as 30 million cubic meters of water per day. The Airport has the flood prevention system in place which includes small reservoirs and 3 meter high flood walls.

There are also canals surrounding the reservoirs to help maintain the safe level of water. The AoT added later that should the water rise significantly, the Department of Royal Irrigation would begin to drain and release the water to the south of the airport.

Just some information on the pumping capacity of BKK airport

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport flood prevention systems operational

September 23, 2011 | Filed under: Bangkok | Posted by: AIT BKK BANGKOK, 23 September 2011 (NNT) – Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport is preparing for the possible rise in water levels around the airport as the water runoff from the North continues to increase.

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) has sent a team of officers to inspect the areas around the airport and concluded that the current water levels do not pose a threat.

AoT further added Bangkok and its surrounding provinces could be in for possible inland flooding as heavy rains had been forecast this weekend in the Northeast.

The authority may try to relieve the inundation by allowing the runoff to flow into rivers which are going to Bangkok and Samut Prakan before reaching the ocean.

According to the AoT, there are 8 water stations to the south of the airport which could relieve as much as 30 million cubic meters of water per day. The Airport has the flood prevention system in place which includes small reservoirs and 3 meter high flood walls.

There are also canals surrounding the reservoirs to help maintain the safe level of water. The AoT added later that should the water rise significantly, the Department of Royal Irrigation would begin to drain and release the water to the south of the airport.

So I guess the water that used to be retained there when it was Cobra Swamp will be pumped out by the AOT into the new residential areas that have been built in Samut Prakarn between Suwannabhumi and the sea. Nice.