Plan To Evacuate Parts Of Bangkok

Lite Beer

Plan to evacuate parts of Bangkok

The Nation

30167178-01.jpg

A plan to evacuate people from 13 districts and eastern zones of Bangkok located outside flood barriers has been prepared by city officials, who warned yesterday that some parts of the capital will be submerged by overflows from the Chao Phraya.

The weather bureau said Saturday that a monsoon trough still covering the lower Central and Eastern region would develop into a low-pressure cell in the centre of the South China Sea.

Also, a moderate southwesterly monsoon covered the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf of Thailand. These conditions had caused torrential rain in the Central area including Bangkok and nearby provinces, as well as the East and upper South.

Eastern parts of Bangkok likely to be flooded are Min Buri, Nong Chok, Lat Krabang and Klong Sam Wa.

The 13 districts at risk are Bang Sue, Dusit, Phra Nakhon, Samphan Thawong, Bang Kholaem, Yannawa, Klong Toei, Bang Plat, Bangkok Noi, Thon Buri, Klong San, Rat Burana and Thawee Wattana.

Some nine canals in the capital would also be flooded, the National Disaster Warning Centre also warned.

The centre reported that the level of water in Bangkok was rising drastically, especially in Klong Bang Phrom, Klong Bang Wak, Klong Prem Prachakorn, Klong Lat Phrao, Pak Klong Talad, Klong Bang Sue, and Klong Maha Sawas. Officials were urged to prepare relief for people living in areas at risk of being flooded.

Bangkok Governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said Saturday that torrential rain caused flooding in 17 areas across Bangkok. Ratchadaphisek Road was the hardest hit area. "We will still handle the flood situation in Bangkok," he assured.

The level of water around the intersection between Ratchada and Lat Phrao was 30 to 40cm deep, which paralysed traffic in the area.

Other areas affected were Ratchayothin intersection, Lat Phrao intersection, Lat Phrao Soi 22, Ngam Wong Wan Road, Kaset intersection, Pradit Manoo Tham Road, Phaholyothin, Srinakarin Road and Nawamin Road.

BMA officials used pumps to drain excess water from the roads, which was funnelled to the Rama IV-Ramkhamhaeng water tunnel.

"We expected that the water level would recede within two hours," Sukhumbhand said.

With many people worrying about flood water from the North that will hit Bangkok, Sukhumbhand said city officials were still able to drain water continuously.

He visited barriers built to keep out water, to monitor the situation at Rangsit canal water gate 6, which is connected to Pathum Thani. He ordered officials to strengthen barriers to prevent water flowing into Rangsit canal.

In the late afternoon, the governor organised a religious ceremony and asked holy beings to push water into other areas.

"No matter if people believe in these things or not, I do not care. If it makes everything better, I will do it," he

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-10-08

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The two motorways form Bangkok to the South East towards Chonburi, (either side of the airport), are they likely to be closed?

The Bangna-Trat (south) motorway is 15 metres above ground ... so there isn't much chance of it closing.

The Bangkok-Chonburi motorway (north) looked ok on Friday, with the water needing to come up a long way before it was in trouble.

The two motorways form Bangkok to the South East towards Chonburi, (either side of the airport), are they likely to be closed?

The Bangna-Trat (south) motorway is 15 metres above ground ... so there isn't much chance of it closing.

The Bangkok-Chonburi motorway (north) looked ok on Friday, with the water needing to come up a long way before it was in trouble.

Whybother-

Can you tell me if Route 7 (krungthep-chon buri new line/thanon rama ix) is elevated? From what I see it looks like elevated in some areas and not in some. Has this road ever been closed due to flooding in your experience? What is your opinion on travel to BKK during the week of 13-19? Has Bangkok ever been flooded completely out? What is the worse that you have seen. I am struggling to find answers to see if it will be safe to travel.

I don't know if this road has ever been flooded, wish I could help. I also can't answer your question on travel to BKK the week of the 13-19, just keep up on the news bulletins is my best advice.

The worst flooding I've ever seen in Bangkok was in 1983. Most of Bangkok was flooded for 2 months, with Ramkamhaeng U. being underwater and therefore closed for 3 months. Water over the roofs of many of the buildings on campus. We're not anywhere near the 1983 levels of flooding in Bangkok, at least not yet...

:rolleyes:

Yeah, tell me all about it...like I didn't know already?

I'm on Ladphrakhao Road soi 42...so far no water in this area however.

And, right now, the Sun is shining.

What we DON'T need is another thunderstorm like Friday night/early Saturday morning.

The nearest big Klong or canal...whatever you want to call it...is about 1 km away.

But the land here is a meter or two higher...so we're thinking we'll be o.k.

The place I'm worried about is about 100 meters to the left rear of the house...a swampy, marshy area with some trees. No houses there. It's all marsh and swamp there.

So far it doesn't look to bad, but there IS more water there than normally. The frogs are loving it,howevr, croaking a loud chorus every night. Breeding season for them I guess.

We'll just have to wait and see what happens...but I think we'll be okay. From what I undersatand this area hasn't flooded before...yet.

:whistling:

Whybother-

Can you tell me if Route 7 (krungthep-chon buri new line/thanon rama ix) is elevated? From what I see it looks like elevated in some areas and not in some. Has this road ever been closed due to flooding in your experience? What is your opinion on travel to BKK during the week of 13-19? Has Bangkok ever been flooded completely out? What is the worse that you have seen. I am struggling to find answers to see if it will be safe to travel.

I take this road often, the ground level "motorway" section can get pretty wet but I've never seen it flood outright. Though in this pretty extreme situation, it's impossible to be sure :(

"In the late afternoon, the governor organised a religious ceremony and asked holy beings to push water into other areas.No matter if people believe in these things or not, I do not care. If it makes everything better, I will do it," he said."And if it doesn't make everything better, he'll at least have someone (something?) to blame it on.

t

I don't know if this road has ever been flooded, wish I could help. I also can't answer your question on travel to BKK the week of the 13-19, just keep up on the news bulletins is my best advice.

The worst flooding I've ever seen in Bangkok was in 1983. Most of Bangkok was flooded for 2 months, with Ramkamhaeng U. being underwater and therefore closed for 3 months. Water over the roofs of many of the buildings on campus. We're not anywhere near the 1983 levels of flooding in Bangkok, at least not yet...

thats correct and a windsurver was going down Sukhumvit Road from Nana to Phrakanon

I didn't check back that far, I only looked at 1995 and on, especially around 2006-2010. There is a bunch of reports that analyzied the flood and say what needs to be done, I will find out what levels in 1983 were are talking about. Have you ever seen BKK airport flood out?

Thanks your you input it helps.

I lived in Soi Moh Leng in Makkasan during that flood. We had water up to our knees for weeks, maybe more than a month. Ground floor of our apartment building was underwater. Life went on. Restaurants set up on the sidewalks and you just sat there and ate with water almost up to the bottom of the chair and filthy, dirty water with the occasional dead rat or worse floating by. Now those were the days! :D

Is Klong Bangsue the one running along Prachachuen Rd that seperates Nonthaburi and Bangkok?

I guess Klong Bangsue is the one at 30 m from my house, it's perpendicular to Vipawadee and Phaolyothin, 50 m from Chatuchak market, between Saphan Kwai and Morchit.

Is Klong Bangsue the one running along Prachachuen Rd that seperates Nonthaburi and Bangkok?

I guess Klong Bangsue is the one at 30 m from my house, it's perpendicular to Vipawadee and Phaolyothin, 50 m from Chatuchak market, between Saphan Kwai and Morchit.

Thanks for that, I know which one you are talking about now.

Just seen a video from Reuters that states an estimated 7 Billion Cubic Meters (Yes BILLION) of water is heading towards Bangkok!!!! Holy Crap!!!

http://uk.reuters.com/video/2011/10/08/thai-floods-threaten-catastrophe?videoId=222361051

I know I've seen somewhere the installed systems can only handle 1 Million/day.

I hope the numbers are wrong.....

Bangkok prepares evacuation plan in case of high flooding

image_20111009120517E7121F69-FD39-1B08-400303774449B357.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 9 – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) plans to use schools as temporary shelters in case the city is hit by flooding, said Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra, adding that press conferences on water levels are to be made twice daily.

Emergency evacuation plans for residents living in Bangkok's 27 water-prone communities in 13 districts have been prepared and rehearsed.

Any evacuation in Bangkok is to be in cooperation with Bangkok Medical Emergency Service Centre (Erawan) and the Department of Education (Bangkok Metropolitan Administration) to set up temporary evacuation centres in public schools of the capital.

The governor affirmed City Hall was still capable of handling the situation and asked people not to panic.

Chief district officers, particularly those responsible for areas outside dykes and risky areas in the east such as Min Buri, Nong Chok, Khlong Sam Wa, are to make their own decisions regarding logistics of sleeping and eating for evacuees.

BMA is also planning to provide another one million sandbags, from the existing stock of two million, to prepare for high tides on Oct 15-18.

Drainage and Sewerage Department director Sanya Cheenimit said the water situation in the Thai capital was worrying and needed to be closely monitored.

The water flow at Chao Phraya and Rama VI Dams reached 4,943 cubic metres/second on Sunday, an increase of 22 cubic metres/second from Saturday.

According to Mr Sanya, the water levels passing through Bangkok's Rama XIII Bridge stood at 4,000 cubic metres/second and Saturday night’s highest water level was recorded at 2.03 metres.

The capital's dykes can handle water as high as 2.50-3.00 metres.

Meanwhile, Emergency Operation Center for Flood, Storm and Landslide on Sunday reported flooding remains in 30 provinces and fatalities reached 253 with four missing.

The Centre warned of widespread rain in all regions and heavy rain in some areas. Local residents in 12 provinces – Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Bangkok, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Chonburi, Rayong, Chantaburi and Trat – residing near waterways have been alerted of flooding.

The situation in lower central provinces, particularly Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi and Bangkok is also worrying as the water level is likely to increase due to the inundation from Ayutthaya.

Each province is warned to be ready to handle high levels of water. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-09

Bangkok prepares evacuation plan in case of high flooding

image_20111009120517E7121F69-FD39-1B08-400303774449B357.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 9 – The Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) plans to use schools as temporary shelters in case the city is hit by flooding, said Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra, adding that press conferences on water levels are to be made twice daily.

Emergency evacuation plans for residents living in Bangkok's 27 water-prone communities in 13 districts have been prepared and rehearsed.

Any evacuation in Bangkok is to be in cooperation with Bangkok Medical Emergency Service Centre (Erawan) and the Department of Education (Bangkok Metropolitan Administration) to set up temporary evacuation centres in public schools of the capital.

The governor affirmed City Hall was still capable of handling the situation and asked people not to panic.

Chief district officers, particularly those responsible for areas outside dykes and risky areas in the east such as Min Buri, Nong Chok, Khlong Sam Wa, are to make their own decisions regarding logistics of sleeping and eating for evacuees.

BMA is also planning to provide another one million sandbags, from the existing stock of two million, to prepare for high tides on Oct 15-18.

Drainage and Sewerage Department director Sanya Cheenimit said the water situation in the Thai capital was worrying and needed to be closely monitored.

The water flow at Chao Phraya and Rama VI Dams reached 4,943 cubic metres/second on Sunday, an increase of 22 cubic metres/second from Saturday.

According to Mr Sanya, the water levels passing through Bangkok's Rama XIII Bridge stood at 4,000 cubic metres/second and Saturday night's highest water level was recorded at 2.03 metres.

The capital's dykes can handle water as high as 2.50-3.00 metres.

Meanwhile, Emergency Operation Center for Flood, Storm and Landslide on Sunday reported flooding remains in 30 provinces and fatalities reached 253 with four missing.

The Centre warned of widespread rain in all regions and heavy rain in some areas. Local residents in 12 provinces – Ayutthaya, Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi, Bangkok, Nakhon Nayok, Nakhon Pathom, Ratchaburi, Phetchaburi, Chonburi, Rayong, Chantaburi and Trat – residing near waterways have been alerted of flooding.

The situation in lower central provinces, particularly Pathum Thani, Nonthaburi and Bangkok is also worrying as the water level is likely to increase due to the inundation from Ayutthaya.

Each province is warned to be ready to handle high levels of water. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg

-- TNA 2011-10-09

Lite,

Thank you for a great post, some good numbers inside. That is the type of numbers we do need.....

Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport flood prevention systems operational

September 23, 2011 | Filed under: Bangkok | Posted by: AIT BKK BANGKOK, 23 September 2011 (NNT) – Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport is preparing for the possible rise in water levels around the airport as the water runoff from the North continues to increase.

The Airports of Thailand (AoT) has sent a team of officers to inspect the areas around the airport and concluded that the current water levels do not pose a threat.

AoT further added Bangkok and its surrounding provinces could be in for possible inland flooding as heavy rains had been forecast this weekend in the Northeast.

The authority may try to relieve the inundation by allowing the runoff to flow into rivers which are going to Bangkok and Samut Prakan before reaching the ocean.

According to the AoT, there are 8 water stations to the south of the airport which could relieve as much as 30 million cubic meters of water per day. The Airport has the flood prevention system in place which includes small reservoirs and 3 meter high flood walls.

There are also canals surrounding the reservoirs to help maintain the safe level of water. The AoT added later that should the water rise significantly, the Department of Royal Irrigation would begin to drain and release the water to the south of the airport.

http://www.thailandnews.co/2011/09/bangkok-suvarnabhumi-airport-flood-prevention-systems-operational/

i don't have any boots. a lot of rat urine in the water and dirty canal water will kill people who have open wounds.

Not they won't be killed, but may need antibiotics.

Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses, molds, spores and small parasites.

The pictures of foot problems due to flooding are rather grim. I would post some, but I don't think I need to show rotting flesh to make the point. I do hope that everyone who comes in contact with standing water, rinses and gives a rigorous wash with soap ). In the areas of flooding the tap water will be contaminated and care should be taken. Refrain from the overuse of the alcohol based sanitizers as they will dry out the skin causing it to lose the dead skin layers and natural oil that act as a natural barrier to these beasties. Also, the number of ear, nose and throat illnesses reported has increased, particularly amongst the under 10 age group. This is most likely attributable to the kids being shorter and more likely to be exposed to water spray and due to children's habit of putting hands to mouth, nose and eyes. The flood water is technically hazardous waste and is classified as "sewage and/or "industrial effluent".

Edited by geriatrickid

i don't have any boots. a lot of rat urine in the water and dirty canal water will kill people who have open wounds.

Not they won't be killed, but may need antibiotics.

Antibiotics are ineffective against viruses, molds, spores and small parasites.

The pictures of foot problems due to flooding are rather grim. I would post some, but I don't think I need to show rotting flesh to make the point. I do hope that everyone who comes in contact with standing water, rinses and gives a rigorous wash with soap ). In the areas of flooding the tap water will be contaminated and care should be taken. Refrain from the overuse of the alcohol based sanitizers as they will dry out the skin causing it to lose the dead skin layers and natural oil that act as a natural barrier to these beasties. Also, the number of ear, nose and throat illnesses reported has increased, particularly amongst the under 10 age group. This is most likely attributable to the kids being shorter and more likely to be exposed to water spray and due to children's habit of putting hands to mouth, nose and eyes. The flood water is technically hazardous waste and is classified as "sewage and/or "industrial effluent".

I just had it: open wound and walking in waste water with dead animals. Most of the time it is just bacteria and with luck antibiotics will fix it. But of course as longer as more nasty it gets. If you are 2 weeks daily in the dirty water it can be very bad.

Any idea what could help avoiding infections? a creme with lots of fat? cocking oil?

Just seen a video from Reuters that states an estimated 7 Billion Cubic Meters (Yes BILLION) of water is heading towards Bangkok!!!! Holy Crap!!!

http://uk.reuters.co...deoId=222361051

I know I've seen somewhere the installed systems can only handle 1 Million/day.

I hope the numbers are wrong.....

Actually, 7 billion cubic meters doesn't sound like that much. Flow rates in the Chaopaya around Chainat are around .3 billion per day. It is all heading to Bangkok and could take a couple of weeks to get there. So you might multiply this by 14 and you are not far from 7 billion in just one river alone.

There is an awful lot more water that isn't in the rivers flowing at various rates all heading towards Bangkok.

Now there is also a lot of various elongated routes that the water can be diverted around to extend the time it takes to reach the sea.

Traditionally, the long term flooding problems in Bangkok are related to tides. Those tides are particularly high during October so definitely problems if you are outside of the flood protection areas.

This year seems to be much worse as the water just keeps on coming with no easing of the flood situation way up river around Nakhon Sawan so it will definitely be a long time before it all recedes and we are getting very close to those tidal problems.

From past experience in Bangkok, I doubt that the central areas of Bangkok will have much problem other than a few hours of flooding after heavy rain. Just long enough for the pumps to catch up. Those full canals are released at each low tide so full canals might be deceiving unless the heavy rains coincide with high tides.

I need to get to Don Muang from Mo Chit next Sunday (16th) and I read that this could be crunch time for Bangkok. As I am not familiar with the districts of Bangkok, can anyone tell me if this particular area would be affected if the predictions come true?