Plan To Evacuate Parts Of Bangkok

Lite Beer

At what point would YOU leave Bangkok? And where would you go if you did? I still have no idea.

id go to my house at the beach. the question is whether or not i ill be able out of the reclaimed swamp that is the airport.

You stay in Bangkok and wait till the beach come to you.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if this road has ever been flooded, wish I could help. I also can't answer your question on travel to BKK the week of the 13-19, just keep up on the news bulletins is my best advice.

The worst flooding I've ever seen in Bangkok was in 1983. Most of Bangkok was flooded for 2 months, with Ramkamhaeng U. being underwater and therefore closed for 3 months. Water over the roofs of many of the buildings on campus. We're not anywhere near the 1983 levels of flooding in Bangkok, at least not yet...

I didn't check back that far, I only looked at 1995 and on, especially around 2006-2010. There is a bunch of reports that analyzied the flood and say what needs to be done, I will find out what levels in 1983 were are talking about. Have you ever seen BKK airport flood out?

Thanks your you input it helps.

I lived in Phrakhanong in 1983 and the areas of Phrakhanong and Klongtan had 50 cm depth of water for almost a month....

I visited in 1983 about a month after the worst of the floods were over but the water was still hanging around in some Bangkok districts. I remember vividly seeing a food vendor fryng stuff standing in water up to her knees. In 1995 I remember Silom, Yannawa and Sukhumvit being under about 50 cm of water but it disappeared after a couple of days because they had better pumping systems by then. I think this year will be more like 1983.

We're evacuating tomorrow. The government truck came around this afternoon and told everyone that flooding was imminent. According to a friend's husband at the water department who is working closely with the guys responsible for flood prevention, they anticipate a near 100% certainty of a levee breach in Pathumthani sometime late Wednesday or Thursday the way it did Nakorn Sawan today. They also said they will be cutting electrical power to the entire area when the flooding comes, so if we stay we'll be without water or power and unable to go anywhere even if the house does manage to stay mostly above the water line. Given that we have 2 small toddlers to take care of, we took the hint and are getting out tomorrow. I'm up late moving the entire downstairs up to the second floor.

We're about 6 km inland from the river too, so they obviously anticipate flooding over a wide area. I just hope they are exaggerating and it won't really turn out to be as bad as they say. Best of luck to the rest of you who are being forced from your homes. I went through a flood in Hat Yai back in 2000. I was hoping never to have to repeat that experience.

We're evacuating tomorrow. The government truck came around this afternoon and told everyone that flooding was imminent. According to a friend's husband at the water department who is working closely with the guys responsible for flood prevention, they anticipate a near 100% certainty of a levee breach in Pathumthani sometime late Wednesday or Thursday the way it did Nakorn Sawan today. They also said they will be cutting electrical power to the entire area when the flooding comes, so if we stay we'll be without water or power and unable to go anywhere even if the house does manage to stay mostly above the water line. Given that we have 2 small toddlers to take care of, we took the hint and are getting out tomorrow. I'm up late moving the entire downstairs up to the second floor.

We're about 6 km inland from the river too, so they obviously anticipate flooding over a wide area. I just hope they are exaggerating and it won't really turn out to be as bad as they say. Best of luck to the rest of you who are being forced from your homes. I went through a flood in Hat Yai back in 2000. I was hoping never to have to repeat that experience.

Good Luck to You and Yours!

My heart goes out to you all, I visited Thailand in June, the normal tourist places I guess, and my knowledge of areas is almost non existent, names ring a bell but cannot put them in their places . . . we stayed in Bangkok about 5 minutes from MKR and am worried as the the conditions in these areas . . . . please everyone listen to what you are being told, evacuate if it is suggested, stay safe and keep your loved ones near you . . .