Amazon Deliver To Thailand

corkman

Hi All,

Do any of you order stuff from Amazon.com? If so:

1. Any issues with customs?
  2. Which country-website do you use?

Basically all want to order is a couple of dvd's for my kid (that I can get here, nor download) which cost no more than $10-15 each (per mini-box set). I don't mind if I get stung for a couple of hundred baht, but I don't fancy paying a thousand baht on something that was only a thousand baht to buy in the first instance.

Thanks in advance.

No issues at all.

A while ago I ordered a Kindle plus a few other things, ordered on a Sunday (from the US website), the parcel arrived on Thursday. Amazon debited me with the estimated cost for tax/import duty (total appr. 20 % of the purchase value) and apparently they will even give you a credit if the actual amount turns out to be lower than that.

No hassle - excellent service.

No issues at all.

A while ago I ordered a Kindle plus a few other things, ordered on a Sunday (from the US website), the parcel arrived on Thursday. Amazon debited me with the estimated cost for tax/import duty (total appr. 20 % of the purchase value) and apparently they will even give you a credit if the actual amount turns out to be lower than that.

No hassle - excellent service.

Cool. Thanks.

This may be a daft question; is there a difference between US "dvd" and European "dvd"? Coz my european stuff works fine on a thai dvd player - I am assuming the us stuff will work too? Or do I need to search / order for some specific format?

This may be a daft question; is there a difference between US "dvd" and European "dvd"? Coz my european stuff works fine on a thai dvd player - I am assuming the us stuff will work too? Or do I need to search / order for some specific format?

Many DVDs are Region coded and require a DVD player that supports that region. US is Region 1 and Europe is Region 2. However, most DVD players in Thailand support all regions. Suspect yours does since it can play Region 1 while Southeast Asia is Region 3. Those are Region 0 players and support regions 1-6.

Amazon has a site/program called "Amazon Prime" which will, for certain items, help expedite the customs clearing process by the method described by CNF55.

The only caution I would warn is that Amazon uses courier companies (or maybe just perhaps UPS) to ship. There have been numerous issues reported by people here in Thailand with the big courriers like UPS, FedEx and DHL and their seemingly very high import duties. I've also personally experienced this on several occasions before resolving to use USPS which has been a much better fit for me with respect to import fees.

You'll notice that DHL, for instance, states quite clearly on their website that part of their business goal is to help the Thai government (and governments of other countries, where legally required/encouraged) to capture the maximum duty allowable under applicable law. And, that's precisely what they do.

So, all that having been said, I would just warn you (not necessarily on small purchases, but certainly on larger ones) to ask around about using certain shippers and the duty fees you may see as a result.

Good luck

Edited by AntDee

I ordered a CD from Amazon on Sept 28th, the predicted delivery date was Oct 26 - Nov 16, but it arrived yesterday. It was sent via US Postal Service, "Intl Surface Airlift". The package was labelled with the customs declaration stating value and freight cost, there was no issue this end with duty.

I've previously ordered a book from Amazon US, it also arrived in good time with no problems.

Amazon has a site/program called "Amazon Prime" which will, for certain items, help expedite the customs clearing process by the method described by CNF55.

Do you mean Amazon Global?

http://www.amazon.co...&node=230659011

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I believe last I checked, however, the items on that particular site were very limited ...

Do you mean Amazon Global?

http://www.amazon.co...&node=230659011

Yes, that is what I was referring to. I believe last I checked, however, the items on that particular site were very limited ...

Yes, and they don't give you the total price including shipping until you sign up for an account.