October 9, 201114 yr I am currently using my buffer machine with ac/dc inverter (12v to 120v) hooked up to my car battery. Does my US inverter put 60hz? Assuming my buffer needs 60hz to work properly, would bringing along that same ac/dc inverter and hooking it up to my thailand car work the same? Or is the electrical/battery system different in thai cars? Also I would assume buying a ac/dc inverter in thailand would output 220volt but at 50hz?
October 10, 201114 yr US inverter input - 12V DC output 120V AC 60Hz Thai inverter input - 12V DC output 220V AC 50Hz
October 10, 201114 yr US inverter input - 12V DC output 120V AC 60Hz Thai inverter input - 12V DC output 220V AC 50Hz most countries have a 220V/50Hz electric supply, including Thailand cars all over the world delivers 12V DC some +10 wheelers have both 12 and 24 V DC tho
October 10, 201114 yr I brought my 120v 60hz inverter to Thailand and used it in Thai cars, and the input was still 12volts, so it operated normally, with output 120v/60hz.
October 27, 201114 yr Author I brought my 120v 60hz inverter to Thailand and used it in Thai cars, and the input was still 12volts, so it operated normally, with output 120v/60hz. Now if you were take that same dc/ac inverter that outputs 120v 60hz and have it powered by dc power supply unit plugged into a thai house, would it output 50hz or 60hz? Reason I am asking is that I am planning on bringing my dc/ac inverter from usa but dont want to hook it up to my car battery all the time. Would be nice to use it indoors. Also would bringing a USA dc power supply (120v) and having it hooked up to a stepdown transformer output 60hz? I need to power a 120v 60hz tool. (massager 90 watt) In another thread, someone mentioned a pure sine wave UPS would work by inputting 110v 50hz and converts it to 110v 60hz. so as long as the power requirement is low. What I was thinking Thai house outlet 220v 50hz --> thai DC power supply 12v --> USA dc/ac inverter = 120v 60hz? or Thai house outlet 220v 50hz --> step down 220/120v -> USA dc power supply 12v --> USA dc/ac inverter =120v 60hz? or Thai house outlet 220v 50hz -> thai dc power supply -> 12v battery -> USA dc/ac inverter =120v 60hz? Edited October 27, 201114 yr by tangcoral
October 27, 201114 yr I brought my 120v 60hz inverter to Thailand and used it in Thai cars, and the input was still 12volts, so it operated normally, with output 120v/60hz. Now if you were take that same dc/ac inverter that outputs 120v 60hz and have it powered by dc power supply unit plugged into a thai house, would it output 50hz or 60hz? Reason I am asking is that I am planning on bringing my dc/ac inverter from usa but dont want to hook it up to my car battery all the time. Would be nice to use it indoors. Also would bringing a USA dc power supply (120v) and having it hooked up to a stepdown transformer output 60hz? I need to power a 120v 60hz tool. (massager) In another thread, someone mentioned a pure sine wave UPS would work by inputting 110v 50hz and converts it to 110v 60hz. so as long as the power requirement is low. The inverter would work just fine, 120V 60Hz out. Be aware that the power supply will need to be about 10% greater capacity than the inverter which could be costly. You could use a 12V battery to supply the inverter and charge it when your not using it. Stepdown transformers do not change the frequency, but any arrangement that goes via DC will. You need a true online UPS (not just pure sine) in order to change the frequency, these are invariably more expensive than the more usual offline units. "I don't want to know why you can't. I want to know how you can!"
October 27, 201114 yr some of these converters put out a real Sine wave while others put out a square wave , No idea what that means right now but I think motors need a sine wave..... Too late here to google it but you might want to look BK
October 27, 201114 yr some of these converters put out a real Sine wave while others put out a square wave , No idea what that means right now but I think motors need a sine wave..... Too late here to google it but you might want to look BK Some motors, especially variable frequency drive motors, work just fine on a modified sine wave (square wave).
October 27, 201114 yr Author I brought my 120v 60hz inverter to Thailand and used it in Thai cars, and the input was still 12volts, so it operated normally, with output 120v/60hz. Now if you were take that same dc/ac inverter that outputs 120v 60hz and have it powered by dc power supply unit plugged into a thai house, would it output 50hz or 60hz? Reason I am asking is that I am planning on bringing my dc/ac inverter from usa but dont want to hook it up to my car battery all the time. Would be nice to use it indoors. Also would bringing a USA dc power supply (120v) and having it hooked up to a stepdown transformer output 60hz? I need to power a 120v 60hz tool. (massager) In another thread, someone mentioned a pure sine wave UPS would work by inputting 110v 50hz and converts it to 110v 60hz. so as long as the power requirement is low. The inverter would work just fine, 120V 60Hz out. Be aware that the power supply will need to be about 10% greater capacity than the inverter which could be costly. You could use a 12V battery to supply the inverter and charge it when your not using it. Stepdown transformers do not change the frequency, but any arrangement that goes via DC will. You need a true online UPS (not just pure sine) in order to change the frequency, these are invariably more expensive than the more usual offline units. In regards to getting a 10% greater capacity dc power supply.... My massager uses about 1 amp or 90-100watts. And my dc/ac inverter is rated for 1100watt and 2000watts peak. Can I get away with a dc power supply that has enough requirement to supply 2-5 amps so my massager will be satisfied or must I get a larger rating of lets say 20 amp. because of my inverter. If this is the case, then I should bring a smaller inverter 300-400watt so that I dont have to get such a higher rated power supply which is more $. Is my thinking correct? Edited October 27, 201114 yr by tangcoral
October 27, 201114 yr To get to the DC amps that you need, you have to use the wattage. 100 watts output will require 8+ amps at 12 volts or 1 amp at 110 volts (volts x amps = watts). The amps drawn by the inverter will depend upon the power that is being drawn from it, not its max power ratting. Using a battery charger and a 12 volt battery eliminates the worry about the 50 or 60 frequency difference between the US and Thailand. Also, the battery will give you a source of power for emergency lights if needed. I would recommend that you bring your inverter and buy the charger and battery in Thailand. Edited October 27, 201114 yr by Pacificperson
October 27, 201114 yr Author Thanks everyone for the excellent input, like "pacificperson" and "crossy" said I will most likely bring my US inverter only and buy the charger and battery in LOS. However I came across a device called "battery tender" which I can leave it hooked up to the battery without ever having it overcharged. However the 1.5amp out might be a slow charge, but it would work in my case as my device will be used nightly for an an hour leaving me 23 hours to charge. I think I should invest in "deep cycle battery" just for those extended use situation, anyone know where I can get a quality "deep cycle battery"? thank you
October 28, 201114 yr Thanks everyone for the excellent input, like "pacificperson" and "crossy" said I will most likely bring my US inverter only and buy the charger and battery in LOS. However I came across a device called "battery tender" which I can leave it hooked up to the battery without ever having it overcharged. However the 1.5amp out might be a slow charge, but it would work in my case as my device will be used nightly for an an hour leaving me 23 hours to charge. I think I should invest in "deep cycle battery" just for those extended use situation, anyone know where I can get a quality "deep cycle battery"? thank you Deep cycle battery, 1.5A trickle charger, DC power supply, 12/120V-60Hz inverter - not worth all the trouble, just purchase 220V-50Hz electrical products in Thailand.
October 28, 201114 yr Author Thanks everyone for the excellent input, like "pacificperson" and "crossy" said I will most likely bring my US inverter only and buy the charger and battery in LOS. However I came across a device called "battery tender" which I can leave it hooked up to the battery without ever having it overcharged. However the 1.5amp out might be a slow charge, but it would work in my case as my device will be used nightly for an an hour leaving me 23 hours to charge. I think I should invest in "deep cycle battery" just for those extended use situation, anyone know where I can get a quality "deep cycle battery"? thank you Deep cycle battery, 1.5A trickle charger, DC power supply, 12/120V-60Hz inverter - not worth all the trouble, just purchase 220V-50Hz electrical products in Thailand. Yes I do realize the hassles and nearly everything I own I buy 220c 50hz but in this case after contacting the manufacturer, my motorized massager is made only for 60hz and it would be extremely rare to find a massager in the likeness.
October 28, 201114 yr Geez ,your coming to Thailand, you pay for someone to give you a massage here I married a masseuse I suppose that means I pay for my massages mind Meanwhile for our OP, any sealed lead-acid battery will do the trick, not truly deep-cycle but better than a car battery would be. 12V 40AH, about 3k Baht. "I don't want to know why you can't. I want to know how you can!"
Create an account or sign in to comment