Visa Info For Lao...

I am just in the planning stages of sorting out next years holidays. We normally stay inside Thailand (Phuket, Hua Hin. etc) But I am now thinking about having a look at Lao. I have tried the Search facility to no avail :o What I am trying to find out is, what are the visa requirements for both of us? Me, Australian here on non-o extension, married to Thai national. Mrs Daddy, Thai national :D Many thanks as usual :D

I am just in the planning stages of sorting out next years holidays. We normally stay inside Thailand (Phuket, Hua Hin. etc) But I am now thinking about having a look at Lao. I have tried the Search facility to no avail :o  What I am trying to find out is, what are the visa requirements for both of us? Me, Australian here on non-o extension, married to Thai national. Mrs Daddy, Thai national :D Many thanks as usual :D

Simple. No matter how be it a land border crossing or airport you can get a Visa on Arrival just fill in the form on arrival which is NOT to be confused with the standard Arrival/Departure card. The number of time I see people thinking that is all they need and end up at the back of a large queue in Wattay Airport is unbelieveable!

Anyway fill out the form, give it to the visa man along with a photo and $30 and all will be taken care of. The stamp will take up a page and last for 14 days. For 30 day visa you need to go to the Lao embassy in Bangkok or you can extend the 14 day one at a travel agent in Vientiane for $30 for an extra 14 days.

As for Thai Nationals just a passport which will be stamped same as yours is arriving in Thailand. Again valid of 14 days.

I am just in the planning stages of sorting out next years holidays. We normally stay inside Thailand (Phuket, Hua Hin. etc) But I am now thinking about having a look at Lao. I have tried the Search facility to no avail :D  What I am trying to find out is, what are the visa requirements for both of us? Me, Australian here on non-o extension, married to Thai national. Mrs Daddy, Thai national :D Many thanks as usual :D

Simple. No matter how be it a land border crossing or airport you can get a Visa on Arrival just fill in the form on arrival which is NOT to be confused with the standard Arrival/Departure card. The number of time I see people thinking that is all they need and end up at the back of a large queue in Wattay Airport is unbelieveable!

Anyway fill out the form, give it to the visa man along with a photo and $30 and all will be taken care of. The stamp will take up a page and last for 14 days. For 30 day visa you need to go to the Lao embassy in Bangkok or you can extend the 14 day one at a travel agent in Vientiane for $30 for an extra 14 days.

As for Thai Nationals just a passport which will be stamped same as yours is arriving in Thailand. Again valid of 14 days.

Many thanks technocracy. Sounds easy enough to me :D All I've got to do now is convince Mrs Daddy that flying isnt really that scary :o:D

I am just in the planning stages of sorting out next years holidays. We normally stay inside Thailand (Phuket, Hua Hin. etc) But I am now thinking about having a look at Lao. I have tried the Search facility to no avail :D  What I am trying to find out is, what are the visa requirements for both of us? Me, Australian here on non-o extension, married to Thai national. Mrs Daddy, Thai national :D Many thanks as usual :D

Many thanks technocracy. Sounds easy enough to me :D All I've got to do now is convince Mrs Daddy that flying isnt really that scary :o:D

If shes a bit nervous I probably wouldn't go by Lao Airlines then as they use ATR-80 twin props and can be a bit bumpy!

If your flying into Vientiane here's the best 3 tips to get you through the airport as quick as possible.

1) Fill out all you forms ready for arrival

2) Fly Lao Airlines small planes so not many people to Visa also many Lao and Thai use so even fewer to queue with. If not see 3

3) If you go by Thai air either pay the 2200 baht to Standby upgrade or make sure you check in early-ish and request seats as close to the front as possible. Then on landing do the asian thing and be up and out of your seat before the seat belt light is off and leg it up to the customs area. I've barged past many a folks doing this what your rewarded with is empty visa desk.

Hand over you application form and passport then move to window 3 after a 3 minutes wait handover you $30 in return for your passport then go through the normal customs.

Don't worry about Mrs Daddy just tell her you'll meet her in the baggage area as she doesn't need wait in the Visa queue.

This procedure has always worked a treat for me in the past 15 or so journies!

The other way you could do if you want save money is fly to Udon then take an hour journey to Laos border and then 30 minutes journey to Vientiane. Nok airways apparently do Bangkok to Udon for $20 . . not that I can ever be arsed to do this! :D

Edited by technocracy

:D:D Top Tips Technocracy. As we are already in the Nth East area (beautiful Buriram :D ) And Mrs Daddy is shit scared of flying :o I think we will drive up to Nong Khai, leave the car with friends, and procced from there. The funny thing is though, when I suggested a trip to Australia to see my family, besides going white and feeling a bit light headed, she agreed :D

I am just in the planning stages of sorting out next years holidays. We normally stay inside Thailand (Phuket, Hua Hin. etc) But I am now thinking about having a look at Lao. I have tried the Search facility to no avail :o  What I am trying to find out is, what are the visa requirements for both of us? Me, Australian here on non-o extension, married to Thai national. Mrs Daddy, Thai national :D Many thanks as usual :D

You need a visa. Missus Daddy, as a Thai with a passport, will be granted a visa free stay of 30 days on arrival.

Technocracy,  have things changed recently.

I thought visa on arrival was only available at Vientianne Airport and Nong Khai.  Is it available at all land crossings now ?

As far as I'm aware and my readings in the Vientiane Times on Arrival Visa are available at all Official Land crossings. The Lao Government have tried make things easier to go than it was . . unlike Vietnam!

Although that said I've never entered Lao from anywhere other than Vientiane as I'm lazy and my wife would be waiting for me in our nicely Air Cond pickup! So I don't see any need in torturing myself in a Tuk Tuk or Taxi! :D

That said as we are now in the UK for the next 6 months at least we won't be doing the journey for a while! :o

Have regulations changed?

My Thai with a valid passport had to get a visa, just like anyone else for a fortnightly holiday last year. It costs much less for Thais (forgot the figure now, but something like B600 regular, B900 express-collect same day), if applied to at a Consulate rather than the border. Thais can visit Laos for one day, showing their ID and paying a small processing fee.

My Thai with a valid passport had to get a visa, just like anyone else for a fortnightly holiday last year. It costs much less for Thais (forgot the figure now, but something like B600 regular, B900 express-collect same day), if applied to at a Consulate rather than the border. Thais can visit Laos for one day, showing their ID and paying a small processing fee.

Yes, the charges for visa for Thai's changed as of January this year.

At the same time it changed for Laos citizens going to Thailand.

So once and for all Thai's do not require a visa to visit Lao PDR (I prefer the realname!) and vice-versa! :o

:D

Yes, the charges for visa for Thai's changed as of January this year.

At the same time it changed for Laos citizens going to Thailand.

So once and for all Thai's do not require a visa to visit Lao PDR (I prefer the realname!) and vice-versa! :o

:D

Correct ( except that the bilateral agreement was signed in November 2004 )