Bangkok Governor, Officials Prepare For Triple Threat: Flood Crisis

webfact

ok guys, the topic at hand is not about hubs or crackdowns.....

everybody got my message?

Thx

Don't forget "reshuffles". Reshuffles are extremely important and far surpass crackdowns and hubs as a critical focus area. Much lower on the priority are incidental issues like floods, mass death in building and nightclub fires, closing of airports, unsolved and/or "forgiven murders"..etc. "Reshuffles" - yes, that's the key. They are always reshuffling. True they do crackdowns and speak of hubs this and hubs that, but it's the reshuffles that sustain everything else. They reshuffle everything, military, government, private sector associations, contracts of all sorts...etc. Reshuffles, that's it. That should be the new image branding slogan "Thailand Reshuffles"

Here's a novel solution to the flooding problem:

stock-photo-stilt-house-of-the-thai-in-northern-vietnam-2581832.jpg

or if you want something a bit more modern:

lipa-noi-home-thai-rentals-the-stilt-house-70259.jpg

I agree with you 110%. But how non western.

jb1

P.S Would you by any chance have the plans for the bottom house?

Really?? A few houses in the Florida Keys..

ar121690447952259.jpg

IslamoradaSquare.jpg

florida.jpg

The latest news with a plan and a back up plan, numbers, and finally a statement on the state of bangkok

read on.....

http://www.nationmul...e-30167464.html

Thanks for the link. We can sleep soundly now that we know Yingluck is personally overseeing things:

Later she flew to oversee bagging of 1.7 million sandbags for distribution to Bangkok residents, and then to observe an operation at Rangsit and Sam Wa canals in Samut Prakan, to make sure it was completed before Saturday.

There was coverage of her 'observing' flooded areas from a chopper yesterday on Thai PBS. Getting into the chopper, sitting in the chopper, talking to the pilot, waving to stranded flood victims from the open door, exiting the chopper. Very informative. A PM of the 'people' for sure. Following in her brother's footsteps.

Edited by MaxYakov

Well go on then, tell us, if it's that easy? Add in a couple of variables about not knowing how much additional rainfall there may be, and how much the tide will rise on the 17/18th, the fact that all the flood water does not conveniently flow into the Chao Praya and stay there (it has a tendency to break out every now and then and flood other areas) I don't think it would be that easy, but what do I know, I'm not an expert, neither I suspect, are you.

At best a very rough estimate of how high the water level will be. There are many unpredictable variables in Meteorology. I second your thought and add:

It is easy to spout a sudden "feeling" or a compulsive opinion that make some people feel good and important when demeaning others, without backing up that opinion with solid facts or incontrovertible data.

Those people who "demand to exercise freedom of speech do so to make up for the lack of Freedom of thought, which they refuse to practice."

Soren Kierkegaard

:jap:

The subject is not meteorology, it is hydrology, quite a different science, and as the relative departments here have both the experience and multiple flow gauges giving them up to the minute information, peak levels should be quite predictable in both height and arrival time.

As a power station operator in the Hunter valley (NSW) it was critical than we access as much fresh water as possible during periods of high flow. We had computer programs that would take data from a limited number of metering stations on the 2 rivers that joined upstream, plus input from the river authority of any unusual conditions. Localised rain had to be quite heavy and long duration before it was even considered as a factor.

As we were extracting up to 500Ml/day, and the salinity of the water was important, timing of high flow arrival was essential - I have never seen an estimation more than 10 mins out. the system here is admittedly more complex, but flood gates will not usually be operated without consultation, and a dyke breach would only lower downstream peak flow.

As well as freedom of thought, you might also consider freedom from information.

You also have to consider here that the water front is hundreds of kms across. It includes dozens of canals and virtually all have overflowed banks. Canals are taking water from one river and loading it into another e.g. Chaophaya to Tacheen. They don't have a sophisticated computer system for this operation of controlling water gates because it isn't normally that sensitive an issue. The major flooding we are seeing now isn't so much because of the rising water levels but more to do with flood banks breaking after the water levels have been high for so long. Bangkok will be the same. An additional rise in water level of just say 20cm might be the difference between dry feet and 2 or 3 meters under water.

I strongly believe they will rebuild those flood banks in the rivers along the Chaopaya up to Nakhon Sawan to be more permanent and much stronger in the future.

It might not be so easy in Bangkok but they still have the option of building more and larger diversions around Bangkok to save the city from peak water surges during times of high tide.

Now I am in the Nakhon Pathom (Mahidol) area and am beginning to worry since they are taking the water from the Chaophaya river and sending it down the Tacheen River so the flood water will come in from a different direction.