Are There Any Areas Safe From Flooding In Bangkok

AlanL1275

I live next to Klong Saen Saep and will surely be flooded if the water comes. My condo is on the 3rd floor so I am not worried about it. If the flood comes to my community the power will be shut off and we (my wife and I) could be isolated from leaving the condo. If the power is shut off there will also be no water to my condo.

Options;

1. Put my car in a safe place, and go somewhere in Bangkok clear of flooding, and maybe have BTS to travel on. My wife can still go to work. Where in Bangkok?

2. Drive to a safe area outside of Bangkok and stay in a Hotel. What areas are safe from flooding?

3. Put my car in a safe place, and get on a plane and head out of Thailand.

My sister's 4 year old house near Atlanta Georgia was flooded into the second level just after I moved to BKK 3 years ago, and is still not occupied. I am pretty shy about the floods.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Just don't put in water somewhere else jap.gifbiggrin.gif

Hello

Alan, relax mate. Get into Thai modus operandy - or mai pen 4 rai in local lingo: Sathorn be flooded ye asks? Take a clue from the local businessmen and embassies. You see sandbags going up at the Australian Embassy? You see closed until Nov signs on shophouses on Rama 4? Are the tuk tuk drivers wearing rubber boots?

The tell tale sign of imminent flooding is to keep an eye on the rats. Notice any of them heading for higher ground - beyond the sewers with snacks in hand? (not to be confused with squirrels).

If you don't see any of the above don't worry.

I assume from the above that I am pretty safe in being able to complete a trip from Swampy to Mochit or Don Meuang on Thursday morning (taxi or train/taxi).

No need to reply unless you think there are likely to be issues (and apologies for nicking your thread AlanL)

Yeah, I just don't want to be stuck in my condo with no power, water, etc. For a week. If someone here knows of a place outside of Bangkok I would just head there. Can't pay 2,0000 baht a night, unless I have to. Big Hotels have generators, but if they are under water they are no good either.

Don't know the lay of the land because I have only been here 3 years. If you were to ask me about the same in Atlanta, GA where I am from I could tell you exactly where not to be. Usually there seems to be some fairly knowledgeable people on the forum about things like this. If I leave the country I will need to go to Chaeng Wattana and get a re-entry permit. Suppose to pick up my Visa based on Marriage to a Thai on Friday also.

There are many cars and homes under water to the North, and they had a fair amount of warning. I am just trying to be proactive about the situation.

Cheers,

There is a great bar on the 62nd floor at Banyon Tree in Sathorn Road.. I think that bar should be a pretty safe bet...

Thanks,

But should be less than 1k baht. Is Sathorn road area safe from flooding?

In 1995 I seem to recall that Sathorn was not flooded as the canal in the middle didn't overflow. However, Soi Suan Plu and Nanglinchee (I spotted fish there) were badly flooded and all the small sois in St Louis. Silom was flooded at first but was drained quite quickly, although water remained in Saladaeng, Convent and the other connecting sois. Chonnongsi Rd was not yet built then but it seems to flood in heavy storms. Of course, the past is not necessarily a guide to the future and the Sathorn canals could overflow this time. Yannawa is already on the BMA's hit list of areas expected to flood.

There is a great bar on the 62nd floor at Banyon Tree in Sathorn Road.. I think that bar should be a pretty safe bet...

If the water comes into the 62nd floor you don't need to pay the invoice.....

If anyone knows a dry area in or out of BKK please post. Maybe just head to KL. Prefer to stay in Thailand, or BKK

You don't have to flee the country, if you're that worried just go to Hua Hin or Pattaya for the weekend and stay until it's over

If anyone knows a dry area in or out of BKK please post. Maybe just head to KL. Prefer to stay in Thailand, or BKK

You don't have to flee the country, if you're that worried just go to Hua Hin or Pattaya for the weekend and stay until it's over

Muak Lek in Khao Yai, 2 hrs NE of BKK should work.

Pattaya sounds good. Duh, I should have thought of that.

Not scared, just don't want to deal with it if it happens. Condo said if property floods from the adjoining Klong Saen Saep they will turn off the power because it is underground. The parking lot here is no higher than the sidewalk next to the Klong so only a couple of feet higher than the sidewalk and the car gets totaled.

So, off to Pattaya.

I assume from the above that I am pretty safe in being able to complete a trip from Swampy to Mochit or Don Meuang on Thursday morning (taxi or train/taxi).

No need to reply unless you think there are likely to be issues (and apologies for nicking your thread AlanL)

Elevated toll road will still be dry..

Pattaya sounds good. Duh, I should have thought of that.

Not scared, just don't want to deal with it if it happens. Condo said if property floods from the adjoining Klong Saen Saep they will turn off the power because it is underground. The parking lot here is no higher than the sidewalk next to the Klong so only a couple of feet higher than the sidewalk and the car gets totaled.

So, off to Pattaya.

I'd go the other way there is some locations in and around Pattaya that are expected to flood not to mention getting there.. I'd head toward Hua Hin that's our plan anyways..

Yeah, I just don't want to be stuck in my condo with no power, water, etc. For a week. If someone here knows of a place outside of Bangkok I would just head there. Can't pay 2,0000 baht a night, unless I have to. Big Hotels have generators, but if they are under water they are no good either.

Don't know the lay of the land because I have only been here 3 years. If you were to ask me about the same in Atlanta, GA where I am from I could tell you exactly where not to be. Usually there seems to be some fairly knowledgeable people on the forum about things like this. If I leave the country I will need to go to Chaeng Wattana and get a re-entry permit. Suppose to pick up my Visa based on Marriage to a Thai on Friday also.

There are many cars and homes under water to the North, and they had a fair amount of warning. I am just trying to be proactive about the situation.

Cheers,

Alan,

Good choice

Edited by scorpio2369

I think you are smart to think about it before you cannot get out,

if it does get bad then trains and buses will not be able to come into the city from outside areas , since many of the roads have underpasses which will be filled with water , and the train tracks will not be safe if the dirt under the tracks is soft,

Maybe the BTS will be OK as it is above ground , but are the control panels and generators above ground too ,

The Subway - Metro has a few steps up at the stations before you go down to the tracks , hopefully that was high enough to keep the water out ,

A few years ago Prague had the river overflow and flood some of the subway.....

I just see a BIG mess ,

I will be back in BKK in a month , hopefully all will be better by then

Good luck

BK