Investing In Property In Uk Or Thailand

I signed up for a couple of news letters from property companies in the Uk. Knightknox, for example. They often send me info on some deal. Currently student property in sheffield that yields 10%

My problem is that I am such a cynical bugger I always view it as virtually a scam. That I will lose all my money. But now I am thinking that somebody is buying this stuff and I am making nothing with my money in the bank.

Has anybody invested in turn key property that they have never seen and been happy with it?

On paper it looks like a good, safe deal, and I have been getting emails from this company for years so I imagine they are reputable (to a degree) :)

The 10% they quote will not include their agency fees, certificates for gas/electric, wera and tear etc so suddenly you are down to about 7%....rent will be taxed as taxable income so again you will loose 22% 0r 40% if you are a higher rate taxpayer...not forgetting that most areas of the UK are actually seeing property prices drop...especially in older Northern Industrial towns.......compare Thailand...yes agents will typically charge 10% but thats it..no certs to bother with, no tax to pay and in certain areas such as Pattaya, condos in good locations are always sought after so hold their value........you will get other views but Thailand at present beats the UK hands down.

^I'd say the opposite.

Thailand properties are overpriced whereas UK properties are low giving a healthy capital return in the future if kept for the long term.

There is a healthy demand for rental properties in UK now, compared to the many empty places in Thailand and properties in university cities are likely to be easy to rent and have high occupancy rates.

The agency fees can be offset against tax, as can any repairs, you will get tax allowances against the income and if the house is bought in joint names you get double tax allowance.

Electricity, gas, water and telephone etc. will be paid by the tennants.

It just depends on how this company is marketing this investment opportunity.

The 10% they quote will not include their agency fees, certificates for gas/electric, wera and tear etc so suddenly you are down to about 7%....rent will be taxed as taxable income so again you will loose 22% 0r 40% if you are a higher rate taxpayer...not forgetting that most areas of the UK are actually seeing property prices drop...especially in older Northern Industrial towns.......compare Thailand...yes agents will typically charge 10% but thats it..no certs to bother with, no tax to pay and in certain areas such as Pattaya, condos in good locations are always sought after so hold their value........you will get other views but Thailand at present beats the UK hands down.

rental income is taxable in Thailand!

Wouldn't touch what you haven't seen yourself.

Apart from the tax considerations I have found rental agents do not vet tennants very well and generally don't ensure good care is taken of your property. I think rental properties in the UK can be worthwhile but only if you are there to do everything yourself.

MikeyG

I had a rental company in the UK from 1990 - 2000 and we vetted ALL prospective tenants, made quartely inspections and did the right thing for our clients, the landlords.

There are bad guys out there but don't tar everyone with the same brush. If you do you homework, have recommendations, etc. etc. you are likely to be OK as a landlord. Things do happen, washing machines, boilers etc. break down, it has to be expected and factored into any profit you hope to make.

But back to the OP, never buy without viewing and researching. A question, would you buy a house/condo in Thailand without seeing it when you were living in say the UK? Nope, and only a fool would.

You have answered your own questions really and now have confirmation from others.

Forget this idea, go to the UK, look around and buy. Easier and there'll be less tears.

Good luck.

Apart from the tax considerations I have found rental agents do not vet tennants very well and generally don't ensure good care is taken of your property. I think rental properties in the UK can be worthwhile but only if you are there to do everything yourself.

I have invested in some UK property through mutual funds - I would be very wary of buying student accom. in UK without seeing it and whilst living in Thailand. The added advantage of the mutual fund route is that you can quite easily get out of it.

MikeyG

I had a rental company in the UK from 1990 - 2000 and we vetted ALL prospective tenants, made quartely inspections and did the right thing for our clients, the landlords.

There are bad guys out there but don't tar everyone with the same brush. If you do you homework, have recommendations, etc. etc. you are likely to be OK as a landlord. Things do happen, washing machines, boilers etc. break down, it has to be expected and factored into any profit you hope to make.

But back to the OP, never buy without viewing and researching. A question, would you buy a house/condo in Thailand without seeing it when you were living in say the UK? Nope, and only a fool would.

You have answered your own questions really and now have confirmation from others.

Forget this idea, go to the UK, look around and buy. Easier and there'll be less tears.

Good luck.

rocketmanbkk,

Must admit I have only used estate agents to manage rental properties and found them far from satisfactory. There are no dedicated property management companies in my (previous) area of the UK and am sure they would provide a better service as that is their sole business.

hi sidjameson

i know Knightknox well, and there products they are selling...

imho, you would be alot safer with the student accomodation, reason being there is such huge demand in the UK for this type of accomodation, and isnt hyped by say the like of TAT IE high room demand.

as KK is UK based, they are far more unlikly to be selling dodgy products, and with there foreign inventory, they do a great deal of checks before releasing them out, as if to much is promised it can backfire on them

but UK based products are alot more difficult to say ' bullshit ' on returns, as it could end both parties in court for miss selling

any questions, feel free to PM me