Taking Sangsom With Me At Suvarnabhumi

badsign

Leaving for a trip back to Canada and I want to take a large bottle of SangSom Rum with me.

Can I take a bottle I purchased at my local market through the airport or will it be confiscated during

the security checks? Can I buy it at the duty free shops at Suvarnabhumi to save myself any problems?

If not SangSom, do they sell Mehkong whiskey at the airport? Saw some Mehkong in a fancy new box at

the grocery store recently.....

Thank You

Make sure it's well protected in you checked luggage. Those bags do get thrown around and it makes a mess of your clothes if it breaks. Plastic bottles work a lot better but if you get stopped by customs the other end good luck explaining to them what it is, whereas the original bottle would'nt be a problem.

:)

thanks everybody for your replies..............

I think i'll buy 2 small bottles (hopefully they are sturdier than a large one) and ship them inside

an aluminum case I have been using to keep my computer stuff in. I'll buy them at a 7-11 store

so I can show a receipt if the Canadian customs people want to make an issue of it.

thanks again............

I travel with a bottle or two quite frequently. As long as it's not over the limit allowed by customs, you are fine. Don't know what that is for Canada, but I'm sure 1L or 2 smaller bottles will be fine.

I wrap mine in some clothes and pack them in the middle of the suitcase. Make sure the top is TIGHT! I had one leak last year...not much, but just a bit. My bags are soft sided and I've never had a broken bottle.

You can not carry on a bottle unless you buy it at the duty free shop. Make sure you leave it in the sealed bag, or you will have big problems when you transit at another airport. Especially Tokyo.

Although Mehkong was on sale in Duty Free at Suvarnabhumi they would not sell it to me to take to UK. Since it was no cheaper anyway than in local supermarket, next time I put in checked in luggage.

@ badsign

"I think i'll buy 2 small bottles (hopefully they are sturdier than a large one) and ship them inside an aluminum case I have been using to keep my computer stuff in."

Do you mean to take that through as carry on? If so it would fall foul of security restricyopn of no liquid in excess of 100ml can be taken through as carry on rule.

You can check at the liquor shops in the terminal. The staff are really nice and honest. I tried to buy some master blend but they wouldn't sell it to me as it's not allowed through in Australia. Although I'm sure Canadian customs are easier than aust, you can hardly get the shirt on your back though Australian customs.