Pickpocket Operating In Kamala

bunpan

He got me a couple of weeks ago in Kamala - followed me back from the 7/11 on a blue Honda Wave and robbed me outside my own house. I had just put my keys in the door of my house when he pulled up on his bike and asked me for a light, and as I went for my pocket he started waving his arms about and asking me "Do you like Muay Thai? Can you do Muay Thai"? He was short, fat and ugly,maybe in his early 40s. He was very fast, to my shame I didn't actually notice what had happened. When I woke up the next day, I looked around for my wallet and realised what must have happened the previous night. Didn't lose much money, thankfully, but had to mess about cancelling bank cards etc.

The thief tried it again on one of my neighbors 2 weeks later and he was not so lucky - I'd already told my neighbor the story, and he grabbed the bloke by his bike helmet and got his wallet back. The pickpocket wriggled free and jumped off a 12 foot wall to escape. He also left his motorbike behind with the keys, which the police took for unknown purposes. It was a different bike from last time, probably they were both stolen.

In both cases, he arrived on a bike, asked for a light, and started talking nonsense about Muay Thai. So if somebody comes up to you and tries this out, beware!

Ive heard exactly the same story about a bloke doing this in Chalong just near the pier, right down to the Muay Thai and lighter. From memory one guy I knew shaped up to him. This was about 2-3 years ago.

Best bet is to keep your wallet in your left pocket as most pickpockets are right handed...even if they are good it slows em down a bit more

Ive heard exactly the same story about a bloke doing this in Chalong just near the pier, right down to the Muay Thai and lighter. From memory one guy I knew shaped up to him. This was about 2-3 years ago.

Best bet is to keep your wallet in your left pocket as most pickpockets are right handed...even if they are good it slows em down a bit more

The guy that shaped up to him didnt get pick pocketed.

I will ask a few more of my buddies when i get back next week....Im positive its the same guy

Happened in Karon a few times but there were two working in tandem: a guy did the pretend Muay Thai fight while a girl picked the pocket while the victim was distracted. I knew three victims. This was about three years ago so maybe they just change area after a while.

was he Thai or a falang?

He was short, fat and ugly,maybe in his early 40s

possibly from liverpool

Lol no, he was a Thai on his own. I got robbed around midnight, my neighbor was approached at about 10.30PM. He followed us both back to our houses, maybe he thinks people let their guard down a bit more outside their own house.

a couple of years ago I was opening a Bar in Samui, I had different contractors in and 1 was doing upholstery, the contractors had their own teams in, and all was going well.

one short and fat Thai guy seemed to be the supervisor, after being in and out of the bar half the day he asked for 5000 to get materials, as it happened i only had 2000 in my pocket so gave him that.

a few days later the upholsterer had finished and produced an invoice, when I told him I had already given his workman 2k he did'nt know the man , enquiries were made and all the Thais on site thought the imposter was my friend

and I thought he worked for them, the upholsterer knocked the 2k off my bill (he was grossley overcharging anyway).

Thai conman 1, idiot abroad 0

a few days later the same stumpy con man came back and handed me a handwritten invoice for electricity, I told him that I pay the electric to my landlady, he told me that I

did'nt understand how it works here in thailand and I should pay him. a left then a good right hook showed him how stupid l really am, when he eventually got off his fat arse I asked him for my 2000 baht,

obviously he never had it, I saw him a few times after, he alway drove on the wrong side of the road to avoid my Bar.

Thai conman 1, idiot abroad 1.

^Same thing has happened to two friends in Patong within the past twelve months. On both occasions, they were approached as they arrived home and were asked for a light. Obviously a popular scam amongst the scum.

a couple of years ago I was opening a Bar in Samui, I had different contractors in and 1 was doing upholstery, the contractors had their own teams in, and all was going well.

one short and fat Thai guy seemed to be the supervisor, after being in and out of the bar half the day he asked for 5000 to get materials, as it happened i only had 2000 in my pocket so gave him that.

a few days later the upholsterer had finished and produced an invoice, when I told him I had already given his workman 2k he did'nt know the man , enquiries were made and all the Thais on site thought the imposter was my friend

and I thought he worked for them, the upholsterer knocked the 2k off my bill (he was grossley overcharging anyway).

Thai conman 1, idiot abroad 0

a few days later the same stumpy con man came back and handed me a handwritten invoice for electricity, I told him that I pay the electric to my landlady, he told me that I

did'nt understand how it works here in thailand and I should pay him. a left then a good right hook showed him how stupid l really am, when he eventually got off his fat arse I asked him for my 2000 baht,

obviously he never had it, I saw him a few times after, he alway drove on the wrong side of the road to avoid my Bar.

Thai conman 1, idiot abroad 1.

Can't wait for part 3. Thai conman brings friends..... :rolleyes:

<snip>

Best bet is to keep your wallet in your left pocket as most pickpockets are right handed

<snip>

Please explain, because...

If he's standing next to you, his right hand is next to your left pocket.

If he's standing facing you, his right hand is in front of your left pocket.

Good point. It was some advice i was given many moons ago, i always stuck with putting my wallet in my left front pocket...Question for the op. which pocket held your wallet?

I learned a long time ago when going out at night to not carry a wallet. Drivers license, ATM card and Insurance card wrapped in cash, front pocket, done. Will look to pick up a money clip one of these days.

Big bills in one front pocket, smaller bills in the other front pocket.

That way, if you are unfortunate and get robbed, you're never completely cleaned out

Or even better, establish a good credit rating around your local area, cut sick and come back and pay the bills in the morningrolleyes.gif

Good point. It was some advice i was given many moons ago, i always stuck with putting my wallet in my left front pocket...Question for the op. which pocket held your wallet?

Was the guy who gave you the advice a pickpocket perchance? :D

My wallet is actually in my left pocket too, but it is zipped up. The only time I felt a hand in my pocket was in World Trade Centre square (not sure what it is now called) on new year's eve 2002. Packed in like sardines, forced to go wherever the crowd was going, feet sometimes off the ground. I smacked the hand away but couldn't tell who it belonged to. Nothing taken, fortunately.

It was my left pocket - he approached me face-on. But I was wearing baggy shorts with pockets that were very easy to dip into. My neighbor had non-baggy shorts with a zip, that didn't stop the pickpocket from trying, happily things ended badly for Khun Pickpocket on that occasion :)

If it ever happened again I would throw my 10 baht lighter to the would-be robber and say "you can keep it".