Flooding: What To Expect

We are expecting to be under 1m or more of water within the next 2 days. I would be grateful for some advice on what to expect when the water arrives. In particular:

Electricity 1: is it OK to turn off the power downstairs and continue to use the power upstairs? The ECB switches are upstairs.

Electricity 2: can we expect to continue to receive power from the grid?

Septic tank: will this still be OK to use?

Water: can I rely on the water from the mains to continue to run? We use a filter machine for drinking water. We have an above ground watertank and pump. Even with the filter, should I regard it as contaminated?

Thanks!

Edited by pj123

Provided the cables run up from the fusebox, not down, you should be OK just turning the power off downstairs.

It's possible that cables will be brought down, so you can't rely on mains power. Make sure you have torches, lots of spare batteries, candles and matches (or lighter).

If you're hit by flooding you should put a sandbag in the toilet and plug all drains to stop water being forced up into the house.

Mains water may well be contaminated - flood water may be forced into the pipes. In the event of flooding you'll need to turn the electric to the pump off.

Can't comment on how efficient your filter is. If it uses UV sterilisation, then that won't work in the event of a power failure. Probably best to boil the water for 10 minutes, or use iodine tablets to sterilise.

The power grid in your area may be shut to prevent mishap if the locality is heavily flooded. Prepare candles or oil lamps and a portable gas/oil stove

Be prepared for septic overflow through the toilet.on the flooded ground floor.

Assume lack of electricity to run the water pump. Prepare bottled drinking/cooking water and that required for washing.

Store up dry and canned food.

A lot of businesses here built temporary walls out of block to keep the water at bay, based on your particular circumstances etc you might consider doing the same, if feasible, Also, how the water arrives is another issue, in many cases here the flood waters arrived via the sewer system, sort of a covert flooding action that many didn't expect.

A lot of businesses here built temporary walls out of block to keep the water at bay, based on your particular circumstances etc you might consider doing the same, if feasible, Also, how the water arrives is another issue, in many cases here the flood waters arrived via the sewer system, sort of a covert flooding action that many didn't expect.

I wanted to do that but left it too late. No building supplies available.

If you're hit by flooding you should put a sandbag in the toilet and plug all drains to stop water being forced up into the house.

Can't comment on how efficient your filter is. If it uses UV sterilisation, then that won't work in the event of a power failure. Probably best to boil the water for 10 minutes, or use iodine tablets to sterilise.

Good advice about the toilet. Hadn't thought about blocking it. Filter is an Amway with UV and carbon but I wouldn't rely on it for heavily contaminated water. Thanks.

OK. Well we went through all this 2 weeks ago. Some tips in no particular order:

1. the first place that water comes in may well be the floor waste hole in your bathroom floor, and then the shower waste. You must block these. A few weeks ago I put a PVC tap into the greywater line between the house and the sump, after previous incidents. also put taps in grey water lines from laundry tub, kitchen sink etc. as the water level rises all the plumbing works in reverse!

2. look for holes in the walls and plug them with silicon... once the water goes up the outside walls it will find holes and cracks you never knew were there.

3. You can build a temp brick wall in your gateway to the road but it will only slow things down. water will simply bubble up from/through the soil and eventually the level will be the same as outside. the only thing that will help then is a pump. too band if the power goes off and you don't have a generator

4. assume the water will be contaminated. assume you cannot use the toilet (I'm assuming you have a septic system). re: the latter you will be able to use it sooner if you can pump water out somewhere as the water recedes ... not from the sewer tank but from the yard and then subsequently the grey water tank if you can install a submersible pump there.

5. don't forget about your electrical appliances outside - in terms of both damage to them and also electrocution threat. for eg. air cons, water pumps, hot water heaters. you'll need to turn off the power and rip them all out and put them somewhere dry

6. check your insurance policy now re: flood damage

7. think of a place to put your car now .... and get it there early before everyone else gets the same idea

8. put tarps in doorways and then sandbag. you need to get the sandbagging right first time or you will never seal it properly if you have to pull it apart and do it again as the water comes up

OK. Well we went through all this 2 weeks ago. Some tips in no particular order:

1. the first place that water comes in may well be the floor waste hole in your bathroom floor, and then the shower waste. You must block these. A few weeks ago I put a PVC tap into the greywater line between the house and the sump, after previous incidents. also put taps in grey water lines from laundry tub, kitchen sink etc. as the water level rises all the plumbing works in reverse!

2. look for holes in the walls and plug them with silicon... once the water goes up the outside walls it will find holes and cracks you never knew were there.

3. You can build a temp brick wall in your gateway to the road but it will only slow things down. water will simply bubble up from/through the soil and eventually the level will be the same as outside. the only thing that will help then is a pump. too band if the power goes off and you don't have a generator

4. assume the water will be contaminated. assume you cannot use the toilet (I'm assuming you have a septic system). re: the latter you will be able to use it sooner if you can pump water out somewhere as the water recedes ... not from the sewer tank but from the yard and then subsequently the grey water tank if you can install a submersible pump there.

5. don't forget about your electrical appliances outside - in terms of both damage to them and also electrocution threat. for eg. air cons, water pumps, hot water heaters. you'll need to turn off the power and rip them all out and put them somewhere dry

6. check your insurance policy now re: flood damage

7. think of a place to put your car now .... and get it there early before everyone else gets the same idea

8. put tarps in doorways and then sandbag. you need to get the sandbagging right first time or you will never seal it properly if you have to pull it apart and do it again as the water comes up

Thanks. all very useful. I hadn't thought of using tarps with the sandbags.

If you have outdoor sockets which have indoor sockets opposite, water will come in them and into your house.

You can use silicone over the surface, or use a very small piece of plastic and put it over the two holes, and then silicone it on.

Next, silicone around the entire socket case.

Water is really smart.

It will also come up through floors in some houses if given enough time.

If you are able to barricade your front gate reasonably well with plastic and sand bags ( you will then have to climb over the walls), and your rain gutters drainage goes off your property and into the street, then you will have more time to make repairs to your house when the water arrives.

Years ago I lived on a street in Pattaya which would flood one meter a few times / year. I changed my sliding gate to barn door type, solid piece of sheet steel (lots of silicone fixing poor welding) a triangular piece of steel on the ground and another one corresponding to it welded on the bottom of my gates. I had foam on the bottom of the gate, and foam lined everything, so when I closed the gates, it was sealed.

I would see small amounts of water come in, but not enough to worry about.

Having barn door gates can give you a fighting chance in the future, but for now, prepare

I also went into the street, pulled up the drain cover, and placed a one way valve on the 4 inch pipe coming out of my house, so that water would not come in from the street.

If you have a drainage hole in the back of your house which leads to the storm drains on the street, water will come up it as well!!

If your washing machine is outside, put in on a couple of chairs, stools, or take it upstairs.

If one meter will get to your windows, then buy the hard sign plastic or plastic card board at Big C, Lotus etc., and place it in your window sills and silicone it in.

If your front door is solid wood, as opposed to sliding glass doors, you can use sheet foam which is next to the plastic (corrugated) cardboard, or a piece of an inner tube as a door liner so that water will not come between your door and the frame. There may be a space below the door which you will need to add some foam or... to fill the gap, as an inner tube will not be thick enough.

Edited by eljeque

8. put tarps in doorways and then sandbag. you need to get the sandbagging right first time or you will never seal it properly if you have to pull it apart and do it again as the water comes up."

Just to be sure, do you mean tarp goes on the water side or on the dry side of sandbags? I'm no expert in sandbaggin, but would think it would be best on the water-side, pressed to the bags by the water pressure. and use thick, reinforced plastic tarps so they dont just shred under pressure against any snag.