Remembrance Day

sierra01

I didn’t think it was right to ask this question in the Remembrance Day threads so I’ll start another thread to ask my question.

I know that Remembrance Day is observed in Europe and Australia, and probably New Zealand too, but is it observed in America and Canada? With the number of American and Canadian servicemen that died in WW1 and 2 but I suppose it must be.

It's observed in Both Canada and the US. It's called Rememberance Day in Canada, and Veterans Day in the US. In Canada, and the UK the ceremonies generally happen around 11:11am, the anniversary of the signing of the armistice that ended the first world war.

Australia and New Zealand observe ANZAC Day on April 25th with ceremonies usually at sunrise. This marks the anniversary of the Galipoli Landings on Apr 25 1915.

cv

Thanks Cdnvic, I've of course heard of of Veterans Day and ANZAC Day but never connected them with our Rememberance Day...duh!

I know that the armistice was signed in a railway carriage in a forest in France at 11am on 11 November 1918, Hitler made the French sign their surrender in the same carriage in 1940, I'm not sure if the signing took place in the same forest or not.