Possible Scam?

eTiMaGo

I was in Phuket the past couple of days and went to eat at French restaurant Cafe Java in Patong (highly recommended!), and we were talking with the owner, he said there was a group of representatives for music copyrights that went to several restaurants and bars (including his), along with a bunch of policemen, demanding to see the establishments' licenses for playing music in public. If the place did not have such a license, the owner would be taken to the police station and asked to pay a hefty fine (30,000-80,000). They even went in and looked through his computer, looking as iTunes playlists, etc. The guys said they were from a company named RMS (Can't find anything about them on Google)...

Apparently, you need a license for public broadcast, as well as purchasing music approved for public broadcast. (This makes sense, most CDs sold are for private home use, legally). The license is something like 5,000 per year for Thai music and 9,000 for foreign music, and some further exorbitant prices for the albums!

Interestingly, the playback of broadcast music (i.e. from FM radio or international stations streamed online), does not require such a license.

So, has anyone heard of such a thing? Some kind of elaborate scam involving the police?

Been around for a long time. Here is a Thaivisa topic from 2007. From 2008. from 2009. Some more current ones 2010/2011 but just gives an idea of how long it has been going on.

There were a group of 'fake' copyright people, believe it was in Phuket. They were sussed out and supposedly moved up to Chiang Mai.

//edit - in most cases not a scam but a real requirement, but as noted above there have been occasions when it has been.

Do a search, this comes up again every few months.

Not a scam BTW, the license is required.

it is a scam,yes you need a license,one stop music has joined with MPC Thailand.Intermediary Sales Centre 23/17-18Soi Soonvijai, Rama 9 Road, Bangkapi, Huaykwang, Bangkok 10310

Telephone: (66) 02-641-5211-3

Fax: (66) 02-641-1009

E-mail : **** I have been stung once,we spoke recently to mpc,they were adamant they do not use these tactics.In our case 10 guys terrified my wife with the help of the local police.I have added a link, in thai,basically these copyright police try the scam with a computer game shop,the owner refuses entry,asks for I D,court warrants,the scene is the same,a gang turning up at your door.the outcome was,the guy doing all the talking started to threaten the owner with prison etc,the owner knowing his rights told him to do his worst .they left empty handed.The fee for a license depends on seats and also tv screens.Thw lady told us that if they come,to ring 191 to get the incident logged.They do not want you to video them so do,phone friends or anyone to witness them,take photos.Good luck

Edited by LivinginKata
email & iink removed as per forum rules

Whilst the licenses are required, the guys doing the rounds are scamming people, they were here in Hua Hin again a few months ago.

Same M O, they always turn up at night time, always 8-10 of them trying to intimidate the owners, threats of Police Station etc and in some cases they will actually take you to the station where you will be threatened with arrest etc if a sum of money is not paid, the officer at the station is in on it as well.

One bar owner here got his camera out and started to photograph these thugs, had his camera knocked out of his hand and was punched, he managed to get them all out of his bar after a long struggle.

If it wasn't a scam why would they be so camera shy?