Invest In Burma

Seems to be a font issue nothing to do with censorship... it has a box marked "Download Myanmar unicode standard font here."

You may want to try clicking on that and downloading Burmese Language onto your computer

You thought Thai language was tough? That Burmese language will blow your mind.

ya you should buy some real estate in yangon, laos real estate prices in downtown vientiane have tripled in past 10 years, amid global turmoil too. Something I'd look into right now if I had the $$

ya you should buy some real estate in yangon, laos real estate prices in downtown vientiane have tripled in past 10 years, amid global turmoil too. Something I'd look into right now if I had the $$

because it's so easy for foreigners to buy real estate in Yangon :whistling:

ya you should buy some real estate in yangon, laos real estate prices in downtown vientiane have tripled in past 10 years, amid global turmoil too. Something I'd look into right now if I had the $

The global turmoil as you call it is more a Euro/America turmoil, caused by banks lending money they havent got to people who bought over priced property with money they could never pay back once the ponzi scheme reached its peak, aswell as govts. creating non jobs in the govt/public sector with lottery winning esq remuneration and pension schemes and borrowing money they can also never pay back without inflating it away as theyre trying to do.

But with all the natural minerals Burma has, and the potential to become the new mass tourist destination in SEA aswell as masses of cheap labour to create jobs for, why or why is the best thing you can come up with being "buy property" and create conditions where the working folk of Burma are thus exploited by parasitic buy to let landlords as opposed to being oppressed by vile dictators.

Until westerners can pull their brains out their ass and stop thinking buying property is the worlds best investment we dont stand a chance.

Edited by houseinbkk

why or why is the best thing you can come up with being "buy property" and create conditions where the working folk of Burma are thus exploited by parasitic buy to let landlords as opposed to being oppressed by vile dictators

foreigners cannot invest in Burma. neither in property nor in shares nor in anything... officially not even in a Burmese wife. Jim Rogers was misquoted because he said "if i could i'd invest in Myanmar".

case closed, next wet investment dream please :jap:

Edited by Naam

why or why is the best thing you can come up with being "buy property" and create conditions where the working folk of Burma are thus exploited by parasitic buy to let landlords as opposed to being oppressed by vile dictators

foreigners cannot invest in Burma. neither in property nor in shares nor in anything... officially not even in a Burmese wife. Jim Rogers was misquoted because he said "if i could i'd invest in Myanmar".

but if you married Than Shwe's daughter you could kill two birds with one stone B)

and even have the father-in-law pick up the tab for the wedding :ph34r:

but if you married Than Shwe's daughter you could kill two birds with one stone B)

and even have the father-in-law pick up the tab for the wedding :ph34r:

Than Shwe's daughter has to get a divorce first before she can marry again.

Dream on, as a white man you can't own sht in Burma.

That's the way it rolls so quit selling the delusions common to the property dreamers please.

ya you should buy some real estate in yangon, laos real estate prices in downtown vientiane have tripled in past 10 years, amid global turmoil too. Something I'd look into right now if I had the $

The global turmoil as you call it is more a Euro/America turmoil, caused by banks lending money they havent got to people who bought over priced property with money they could never pay back once the ponzi scheme reached its peak, aswell as govts. creating non jobs in the govt/public sector with lottery winning esq remuneration and pension schemes and borrowing money they can also never pay back without inflating it away as theyre trying to do.

But with all the natural minerals Burma has, and the potential to become the new mass tourist destination in SEA aswell as masses of cheap labour to create jobs for, why or why is the best thing you can come up with being "buy property" and create conditions where the working folk of Burma are thus exploited by parasitic buy to let landlords as opposed to being oppressed by vile dictators.

Until westerners can pull their brains out their ass and stop thinking buying property is the worlds best investment we dont stand a chance.

So if your head is not up your ass then tell us what your way of investing would be?

Land of opportunity...

And it's not america.

Absolutely.

Any idea of what constraints there are on foreigners investing in burma atm?

I saw something yesterday I think that china is opening up to foreign investment soon (presumably because they need a way to maintain economic momentum, things are apparently slowing in china at present also, if you read some reports)

Reckon it may be opening up soon though, wider than any pattaya whore's f#### too~!

Reckon it may be opening up soon though, wider than any pattaya whore's f#### too~!

keep on reckoning but don't hold your breath. what you still need to explain is the relevance of Vientiane property prices to those in Yangon and secondly why you mentioned Vientiane where foreigners are not allowed to buy immobile property.

keep on reckoning but don't hold your breath. what you still need to explain is the relevance of Vientiane property prices to those in Yangon and secondly why you mentioned Vientiane where foreigners are not allowed to buy immobile property.

I'm not the persuasive type.

So why do you think anyone should persuade you oh lord naam??

i have realised that you possess a wealth of no idea about investments in Myanmar and future property prices in Yangon, therefore i withdraw my question.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope I can reactivate this thread to throw a theory into the ring?

Firstly is anyone as surprised as me at the speed at which things are changing in Myanmar?

Literally within weeks there have been a flurry of BBC World interviews with celebrities who have recently

visited the country as well as Aung San Suu Kyi herself all commenting on the rapid changes. Aung San Suu Kyi has

also just confirmed that she may enter the Parliament. Then we just had the announcement about Hillary Clinton going there.

What struck me about Myanmar when I was there in 2005 was their almost complete arrogance about the rest of the world

and what was most noticeable to me in Yangoon was the very prominent role of China. At the airport there seemed to be a

huge number of flights coming in from China with loads of Chinese tourists. On every street corner there were new

developments or refurbishments occurring again under Chinese control.

My big question has been what has prompted Myanamar to act this way so quickly? Then this morning I heard this

interview with Gordon Chang regarding China who I know many people regard as a perpetual bear on everything to do

with China, but listen to what he says in this interview about what is happening to the ruling elite in China and

equally importantly the massive change in leadership of China which is going to take place next year.

My theory is that Mynamar sees the writing on the wall and that China can no longer be its benevolent big brother

and so it realised it must significantly change and should do so very quickly?

I don't know about anyone else but this reminds me so much of the way the previous USSR satellite countries like

Latvia, Estonia, Poland etc changed very rapidly to a market economy when they realised Russia was breaking up?

Edited by midas

Firstly is anyone as surprised as me at the speed at which things are changing in Myanmar?

connections in Myanmar predicted the change early this year. i did not believe it and yes, i am surprised. most of all i was surprised by the unanimous vote for Myanmar chairing ASEAN in 2014.

connections in Myanmar predicted the change early this year. i did not believe it and yes, i am surprised. most of all i was surprised by the unanimous vote for Myanmar chairing ASEAN in 2014.

yes yes Naam I forgot about that one also :)

I think after Christmas I will go back there and have another look at the place.

I bet there are lots of " collectibles " buried away in rural homes over there Naam !

Edited by midas

I bet there are lots of " collectibles " buried away in rural homes over there Naam !

i'm not so sure about that Midas. in the late 80s and early 90s Bangkok's official and much more the black market for antiques was brimming with collectibles from Burma and Cambodia but that's over since more than a decade. Yangon and the bigger cities like Mandalay seem to have been cleaned out. not by foreigners but by locals doing brisk crossborder smuggling. even far away places (i spend a couple of weeks up north in Lashio in 1998) had at that time hardly anything to offer.