Beware Airport Plaza Giveaways

iainiain101

I was out with my two children on Sunday walking through Airport Plaza. We entered through the outside entrance, looked at the fish tank, liked the look of the Mercs on display, and moved on towards TOPS. I did not really understand what the next display was about, though the 'demo' boys and girls seemed attired in the same way as the Merc girls. I accepted a handout, about the same size as a Lipton tea bag square in an individual wrapper, but they would not give my 4 year old daughter one. She was upset, but I explained that children were not allowed tea, and just slipped mine in my pocket. I remember thinking, bad advertising job, not a word in English.

I never gave it another thought until changing my shorts the next day for the laundry. I found it and thought , 'what sort of tea is it?' I oppened the package to find a plastic wrapper containing a condom!

What sort of people hand out condoms to unsuspecting parents in a plaza? My wife was away at the time, but had she found this I may not been alive now!

This sort of thing should be stopped as it could lead to fatalities!!!

Iain

Had similar done to me in a Bangkok Bank branch a couple of years ago.

Same as the OP about the size of a teabag, only this one was in a hard packet and old thicko here honestly believed it was a packet of matches.

When I arrived home, not giving this a second thought I just left the packet on our kitchen table.

The next day my grass of a son approached the girlfriend and said; mum! Look what Dad`s brought home? When the girlfriend opened the packet, inside was this glowing bright blue condom. I really couldn`t believe what I was seeing.

Luckily the packet had Bangkok Bank printed all over it and jokingly said to the girlfriend, that now instead of the bank giving interest, they provide a new service, the customer gets to shag the managers daughter.

Anyhow, we all had a good laugh about it.

This is Thailand and we never know what to expect.

Same as the OP about the size of a teabag, only this one was in a hard packet and old thicko here honestly believed it was a packet of matches.

When I arrived home, not giving this a second thought I just left the packet on our kitchen table.

The next day my grass of a son approached the girlfriend and said; mum! Look what Dad`s brought home? When the girlfriend opened the packet, inside was this glowing bright blue condom. I really couldn`t believe what I was seeing.

Luckily the packet had Bangkok Bank printed all over it and jokingly said to the girlfriend, that now instead of the bank giving interest, they provide a new service, the customer gets to shag the managers daughter.

not sure if thais would get the rhyming slang 'bangkok bank', whilst giving out condoms.

If this had happened around Songkran time, just says it was a waterproof cover for your mobile phone!

As for handing out to certain families, maybe they have been watching the child :o and do not want the parents to make the same mistake :blink: TWICE! B) .

I remember thinking, bad advertising job, not a word in English

Agreed. My native language is Swahili and it always miffs me when they leave me out. Every advertising campaign in every country in the world should be done in every other language, or at LEAST a minimum of English, French, German, Russian, Arabic, Mandarin and every ASEAN language. Bare minimum. Just what are they thinking.

Sort of reminds me of the recommendation I had to go to Cabbages and Condoms in Soi 12 Sukhumvit, many years ago when it was good quality food, great service, and not a farang rip off trap. A friend who had been told me of it and said, "The cabbages taste great but the condoms are a touch chewy!"

Edited by saxpirant

Maybe you should have said that they were asking you for a 'Deposit in their Sperm Bank'

Not a word in English?

Errrmmm... this is Thailand, and you may not even be part of their target market in the first place. Be greatful. At least it's free!

And if you don't want it, it's not that hard to just throw it away.

Edited by infernalman7