Dave2'S Best Of เชียงใหม่ Photo Thread

keo

@Mr Brad, there is no way that baby in the bucket is real! I'll give you 8 though. Any idea where the picture originates from?

keo

Yes, I would agree now on closer examination. I never noticed that the bucket appears closed, and the baby is photoshopped. So wonderfully funny...someone out there has a really bizarre sense of humor. Good clean fun.

Oh, and no, I don't know where I found that photo; I've had it for quite a while now. Glad you liked it.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tywais.

re ... This is a view of rice fields behind my house using HDR. Perhaps slightly overcooked but gives it more depth.

what on earth is HDR ... and over cooked ? ive no idea what your talking about : (

admit pet form ! ..... this will give you a laugh

this is a form i had to sign to get a vet on wing 41 road ( now closed ) to admit and look

after a sick kitten that wasnt mine but i couldnt watch it suffer : (

if anyone can read and actually understand what this form says ... they deserve a medal !

dave2

ps ... the kitten got better after many baht : ( ..... and was returned to its mum : )

post-42592-0-52910700-1318608338_thumb.j

what on earth is HDR ... and over cooked ? ive no idea what your talking about : (

It's High Dynamic Range imaging. Mine was done with a Powershot Canon S5 IS. You take multiple photos of the same scene in quick succession with under exposure, normal exposure and over exposure and combine them (cook them) in applications that support it such as Photoshop. My camera supports 3 successive shots bracketed, that is a -1ev 0ev and +1ev exposures in sequence. More info in my pinned topic in the photography forum. I find it fun to work with as it expands creativity in one's shots. The photo I posted here was my very first attempt at it so it was a learning experience.

High-dynamic-range photographs are generally achieved by capturing multiple standard photographs, often using exposure bracketing, and then merging them into an HDR image. Digital photographs are often encoded in a camera's raw image format, because 8 bit JPEG encoding doesn't offer enough values to allow fine transitions (and also introduces undesirable effects due to the lossy compression).

Any camera that allows manual over- or under-exposure of a photo can be used to create HDR images.

Some cameras have an auto exposure bracketing (AEB) feature with a far greater dynamic range than others, from the 3 EV of the Canon EOS 40D, to the 18 EV of the Canon EOS-1D Mark II.[8] As the popularity of this imaging technique grows, several camera manufactures are now offering built in HDR features. For example, the Pentax K-7 DSLR has an HDR mode which captures an HDR image and then outputs (only) a tone-mapped JPEG file.[9] The Canon PowerShot G12 and Canon PowerShot S95 offer similar features in a smaller format.

Thanks for all the photos. It is a fun thread and beats talking about food all day. I especially liked MrBrad's 6 teenagers on a bike, and the phallic symbol. I have no idea of the reason for that statue, but it's funny. And, thanks to Muchogra's photos of the elephant paintings. Many people don't realize how intelligent elephants are. Dave2's photo of the guys on the motorbike with the long bamboo pole remind me of modern day jousters mounted on their steed in jolly old England.

Twais touched on what you can do with digital photography once you put it on the computer and play with Adobe photoshop or other photo editing. Some can be done with and SLR camera prior to taking a picture. I now shoot everything in RAW because it allows me a lot more freedom to "fix" photos that were otherwise over or under exposed. You can also change the colours.

This is the same photo but just changed in the computer by reducing brightness and increasing colour saturation...

Blossom_closeup_2_Em.sized.jpg

Blossom_closeup_3.sized.jpg

YWVNV.jpg

edit: had to resize (my 12 inches is too big for TV)

Hmmm... "Black Man Mop" brand. I doubt that would go over well for export to the US. I'd be curious about the age of that brand. It it was made in Thailand prior to the 1960's that would explain things. In America that would be quite the racial slur, though I'll be the first to admit that considering Thai culture, even considering that racism is quite rampant throughout Asia, the average Thai would never even consider the brand name to be a racial slur.

Moderator: If this conflicts with appropriate posting, which I think it doesn't, feel free to remove.

Just a quick answer about when it was made. E.g. I bought a Black Man toilet plunger about 6 months ago at one of the big stores, can't recall Tesco or Tops.

You can tell they have been on scooter since they could crawl.

How else can you explain how they ride side saddle without holding on

or at times without even using the foot pegs :)

post-51988-0-94596100-1318658373_thumb.j

post-51988-0-49873400-1318658391_thumb.j

post-51988-0-19765300-1318658413_thumb.j

Edited by flying

ooops here it is.

Ah, with your first post I thought you were showing a picture of a Canadian winter, only with more snow..

Canadian_winter_hwy.jpg

There is lots of ornate stuff to look at in Chiang Mai. I marvel at the detail and how long it must take to do something like this...

Temple_1.jpg

Buddha.jpg

Temple_3.jpg

Temple_2.jpg

Nice photos, flying. I know what you mean about Thais bundling up in the heat. And, yes, they do seem unconcerned about not holding on while on scooters. Of course, the most simple accident and they go flying off... which was Buddha's fault.

laasmoi wrote:

To insertmembernamehere,

Maybe you are able to substantiate your valuable lesson with some examples for all the visitors of this threat?

Very much appreciated.

Sure, would you like to see more overcooked photos? I can make some for you if you want.

I pick up on your snideness and the sense that you feel like I am boasting in some way. Be that as it may, I am simply trying to make you think like a better photographer. I am not saying that HDR has no place; for example, I just edited an article from a Singapore magazine and the photos (which I had no control or input on) were cooked hotter than I would have liked (but still nothing like yours). So there is a taste for somewhat surreal photos in some instances. But it is fairly well accepted by professionals that going too far with HDR is not a good thing. More so when you have humans in your shots.

I am not saying that doing some post production is a bad thing; I use this routinely, but you have to know, like anything, when to call enough enough.

If the OP does not mind, I will post a couple of HDR from northern Thailand that might show you more of what I mean.

Anyway, here is an example of something from Doi Suthep that is very overcooked (but not HDR). Keep in mind that I made it for use as an avatar, which is very, very small. A friend saw it and enjoyed it in larger size. It's almost not even a photo anymore, more like clip art from real life.

post-131397-0-02780100-1318675712_thumb.

I don't have any photos I have prepared for HDR from Chiang Mai, so I guess I have to go out and shoot some for you. In the meantime, here is something that might go with the theme of this thread: >..<

post-131397-0-60588100-1318675834_thumb.

...and here is one....oh, this is not a real person:

post-131397-0-24145500-1318676351_thumb.

Your photos were nice and captured a moment nicely, but it's like you prepared a nice omelet and then slathered it in ketchup.

Edited by insertmembernamehere

These six teenagers stopped their motorcycle long enough to have their picture taken, and then they slowly rode off down the street.

I've seen six children on a bike before, but six teenagers - that is something! Great shot!

Keep em coming folks!

Just as an aside--and not a Chiang Mai photo I don't think--here's a motorcycle that's more than a bit overloaded: NINE (9)...4 adults, 3 school-aged kids, and 2 babies!!!!!!!!! And that's just those who we can see; maybe there are more on the other side of the cycle.

post-55993-0-32326900-1318598668_thumb.j

Ha, ha lol :cheesy: I've never seen anything so funny, yet so sad at the same time.

Aitch

It's photoshopped.

I'd be curious about the age of that brand. It it was made in Thailand prior to the 1960's that would explain things.

It has a bar code on it and the history of bar codes shows this:

In June 1974, one of the first UPC scanner, made by NCR Corp. (which was then called National Cash Register Co), was installed at Marsh's supermarket in Troy, Ohio. On June 26, 1974 at 8:01 a.m, Sharon Buchanan, a checker at Marsh's supermarket in Troy, Ohio scanned first product with a bar code.

And I suspect it was several years later before it became common in Thailand.

It's not historical at all. You can buy the brand today. Off topic though because not specifically CM related. I mean.. a picture of a mop in a plastic bag? :blink:

And I suspect it was several years later before it became common in Thailand.

It's not historical at all. You can buy the brand today. Off topic though because not specifically CM related. I mean.. a picture of a mop in a plastic bag? :blink:

Historical? I was referring to it having a bar code on it, which was developed in 1974 and the technology arriving in Thailand several years later, making it a much more current offering than was commented on re: 60's. Now I got to go out and take a photo of a Thai bar code to keep on topic. :D

Bought and used in Chiang Mai (and only a few months ago) and the thread states that anyone who cares to join may do so.

Sadly this is the kind of stuff I take pictures of. I have another picture of toy poop I took in Udon Thani, but I figured that would be over the top. It's a crappy cellphone camera, so I only snap things that strike me as unusual.

To redeem myself I took a picture today of the mockingbird that's taken up residence at the Airport Plaza Food Pavilion, but alas, it seems I lost the cord that lets me connect my iPhone to my Mac. So you'll all have to wait in anxious anticipation for that one. It's a very impressive bird, I think.

There is lots of ornate stuff to look at in Chiang Mai. I marvel at the detail and how long it must take to do something like this...

So do I Ian,

It is amazing close up & to wonder who & how long.

I guess a meditation in itself.

I like the illustration of the Buddha statue with the temple behind, insertmembernamehere. It reduces the picture down to its basic elements and done with an intentional purpose. It makes it much more suitable for an avitar. That is the basic idea for "modern art" where you concentrate on form and composition rather than detail.

Photography can be used as a simple tool to illustrate something that can't be described so well in words. That is the basic premise of snapshots... which I take a lot of and so does Dave2. Then, photography can be used for advertising in a manner to make customers want to buy. Photography can also be used as a form of art where you try to capture a feeling. Very often a simple snapshot might turn into a piece of art. Many of the famous war photos taken by photographers on the scene turned into a type of art.

I like to paint with watercolours and often dabble with composition and shapes. Taking pictures of simple objects and reducing them down with Photoshop to their basic form and shape is a good exercise for painting.

I was sitting having coffee with a friend and we were talking about figure painting with live models at art class. I made a simple illustration with my finger dipped in the coffee and spread on a piece of white paper. I like using triangles for shapes in both photography and painting. Then all that matters is the lighting. Here is what I drew and you can see the whole illustration is a basic triangle with each shape of her body being another triangle.

Coffee_sketch_1.sized.jpg

Here's a few of mine......

Man selling pineapple out of his truck (25 Baht ea and the best pineapple I think I have ever had).

Queue at Thai Immigration.

Things one finds at a Thai recycle/junk business.

Bloom of a banana plant.

Local Thais playing roadside music during one of the Loy Krathong days.

post-46350-0-11417700-1318730112_thumb.j

post-46350-0-13891200-1318730132_thumb.j

post-46350-0-08000900-1318730150_thumb.j

post-46350-0-90114100-1318730188_thumb.j

post-46350-0-79763200-1318730220_thumb.j

Thanks for those, dingdongrb. I always like buying fruit from the street market guys. It's often half the price of the shops. And WOW! that is some line-up at immigration. What was the occasion? I have seen the room full a few times, but never a line uip like that.

The fancy interior of one of the city's hotels...

Plaza_hotel_1.sized.jpg

Plaza_hotel_3.sized.jpg

Plaza_hotel_4.sized.jpg

And lovely etched glass doors

Plaza_hotel_2.jpg

But the rooms weren't any cleaner or better than my Thai hotel that cost 4000 baht a month instead of 1500 baht a night.

But the view of the city was okay

Chaing_Mai_city_1.jpg

Anyone got any photos of Wat Umong, Chiang Mai? I've lost count how many times I've passed this place yet failed to pop in with the camera.

If not, I'll probably nip over there in the coming days and grab a few recent shots for the thread. I know too many monk and temple images can wear a bit thin, but I heard this particular place is great for photographs, hence the mention here.

It's supposed to be particularly nice after the rainy season, what with all the foliage and moss crawling around the stonework.

The fancy interior of one of the city's hotels...

Ian - would i be right so assume that's the interior of the Meridian?

Cheers

Aitch

Edited by Drew Aitch

Ian - would i be right so assume that's the interior of the Meridian?

Aitch

I believe so. I stayed there about 4 years ago when the Royal Flower festival was on and it was the only place in town I could rent a room until my usual place had a vacancy. I have photos of Wat Umong, but haven't down loaded them into my usual gallery where I store my pictures for the internet.

I don't think it's Le Meridian. I stayed there with the family for 3 nights in Feb. My daughter booked the hotel using my son's name. They had a promotion for Thai citizens. It was USD100 a night per room. The kids thought it was cheap. We stayed for 3 nights. It was fine with me since they were on vacation.

Ian is right about some good guesthouses though I had only stayed in one. When I went up there by myself I stayed in that guesthouse on 2 occasions, 500 a night. The room was clean and roomy, good hot shower, good a/c, free Wi-Fi, and a big fridge. My pair of good slack did get torn at the pocket in the wash. I didn't make a fuss and gave her B30 to get it stitched up. This guesthouse is better than Centera, Mercure, and Imperial that I had stayed in. Here's a picture taken from my room at Centara.

post-137105-0-77743300-1318757457_thumb.

I love the photo of the fighter, JohnLee. HIs face tells the story of such a violent sport. And, the look on the child tells a story as well.

Thanks Ian. A couple more from the same trip which I did in b/w to try to add a bit more grittiness to the shots.

post-106721-0-73804900-1318759896_thumb.

post-106721-0-59857000-1318759931_thumb.

post-106721-0-03098900-1318759998_thumb.

post-106721-0-00787200-1318760015_thumb.

as keo seems to have deserted his post ill try to post similar to dingdongrb

enjoy .. dave2

Haven't deserted it Dave, merely standing back and admiring ;)

Can ask where you took the picture of the old radios?

I call this one... เมาไม่ขับ (don't drink and drive)

Cheers.

post-44385-0-28265800-1318765960_thumb.j