Edu. Degree

Hello all

i'm still searching for more info. bout getting a teacher's license here in Thailand. i heard that if you got a B.A in education, then you don't have to get a TEFL or CELTA cert. to be able to teach. But what i'm wondering is ... that edu. B.A has to be the one specified for 'teaching Eng' only, or Just an edu B.A in any feild (like maths, IT, music) would work the same too??

And also, anybody knows if laws bout getting a work permit+teacher's license will be changed, or be stricter in the near future? like in a few yrs...

:o

thanks in advance

xx

If you have a B.A. Education / B.Ed you are better qualified than 90% of the people who say they are teachers here. The changes in the law are, I think, being introduces to get rid of all the unqualified teachers who may or may not be doing a good job, to push up the standards. And if you are a native English speaker you will easily get a job here legally! You don’t say what you are going to teach but I assume it’s English. Why don’t you try and get a job with an international school and teach whatever it is you are qualified to teach. Better money, conditions, student (!) You need a job offer before you can get a teachers license – I think. www.ajarn.com

Yes Dr.? :o

Thank you very much Mig :D

Well...the fact is my bf is going to study for a bachelor degree in edu (major-teaching Eng) in the Netherlands. Why would they have such degree in Uni there, if their ppl can't teach Eng abroad with that degree?? And his Eng is pretty good. Actaully he can do it better than some Eng teachers i've met. No offense :D Some Eng teachers at my Uni are Thai, Swedish, South african ppl. Their Eng is good too. And they do a good job. Some highschools here even put the non-native english speakers with good eng competence in the qualification of the applicants.

So..?? Oh and i asked bout the future, cose that will be when he's grad :D Are we back on track now eh???

I would be very appreciate if anyone can give the answers to my questions below :D

1. I talked to some ppl and some Eng teachers. They said you don't need to have a degree to be able to teach here and get a teacher's license legally. You just need a TEFL or CELTA or sth like that. The degree isn't a must. It just helps making it easier. I know what they told me might be true for those who stay/ work here for a short-term. But my bf wants to stay/work here for let's say at least 10 or 20 yrs. So, having only a TEFL or CELTA would cause trouble in the future?? That's one thing we're afraid. He doesn't want to be kicked out of Thailand in the future, when the law got stricter. That's why he decided to go for the degree. Can anybody give me a suggestion on that?

2. (same q as the topic) if he choose to get an Edu degree but not the 'teaching Eng' one (like he might choose Maths, or IT) , does he still need to get those TEFL thing if he wants to teach Eng here? Or doesn't?

3. Comparing having an Edu degree with having other degree but got TEFL ...which one would provide a better chance in getting a job? (From meg's reply i think the edu degree would?)

4. I asked this question once, but didn't get any reply on it. So it will help me a lot, if anybody can answer. I wonder aprt from teaching Eng, what kind of work is available for the foreigners? IT? Engineer? ...

Thank you very much in advance

xx

If your bf is Dutch he probably has very good English because the Dutch often learn French, German and English and so have an aptitude for languages. The native speaker thing that is often asked for by language schools is not a legal requirement. There are Dutch, Danish, Filipino, Indian etc. English teachers in Thailand. Some of them do a very good job. The most discriminated against are Indian and Filipino teachers as their accents are sometimes very strong and people want to learn English with an American or British accent.

At the moment anyone can get a job but the law is changing next year. It depends on what your bf wants to teach as to what he needs. Teach English – any degree and TEFL / CELTA etc. is OK because TEFL / CELTA are qualifications in teaching English. A B.A. Education / B.Ed may be specifically about teaching Early Years, Maths, Geography etc. but the teaching practice is much longer than the above short courses and a B.A. / B.Ed can take 2 – 3 years to complete. Teachers who have a B.A. / B.Ed like to say that if you can teach you can teach anything. But TEFL / CELTA holders think that the specific English training is better for teaching English. That is a matter for debate.

As far as question 4 is concerned I don’t know. The law is, I think, that foreigners are not allowed to do a job that a Thai could do. So that limits us to teaching English and some other subjects. Working in international schools where Thai nationals are not required. Or other areas of expertise. Thai law is not always enforced or interpreted by individual officials in the same way. It may be more important that the school someone works for has a good person dealing with immigration than the actual qualifications someone has.

I apologies if anything I have said is incorrect.

Ah Thank you very much again Mig :D

Are you a teacher?, if you don't mind me asking :o I just really appreciate your advices. Not that it sounds good to me (it does though. It gives me some hope), but i just wanted to know the fact, real situation that's happening :D

So, thank u Meg

Yup my bf, he got sort of American accent. Now he's deciding what kind of degree he should get. Cose he already had a diploma in IT/comp design. Yea and the edu degree takes bout 4 yrs to finish. But that is not considered 'too long' for us, if the degree can quarantee that he can find a job here. It doesn't have to pay well or anything. And Expenses or time isn't our problem, cose he can stay with me and can spend many months or even yr to find a job (That's if extension of a tourist visa or applying for a new one isn't very hard, And i hope it wasn't cose that's what i've heard)

And that you said Now anyone can get a job but the laws are changing next yr. That means Those things you told me right after that sentences are what he needs to have to suit the new laws rite?

Anyway, i heard bout a course called "TEOSL". It's a course for native and non-native speaker(if i'm correct), So Can anyone give me some ideas or info on that one? It's like TEFL or CELTA? or less internationally recognised? Cose someone said it's easy to get, and only takes bout 2 weeks or sth to finish the course. Just having a degree and a TEOSL will be enough to get a job?

Thank you

xx

Ah and someone told me bout the new law (july 2004)

that if you have at least 400,000 bth in bank acct, then you can get married rite? And salary of at least 40000 bth/month and work permit isn't required for marriage ... You can just get married and find jobs later..

But what im wondering is... Don't you need to get a work permit to open a bank acct here and put the money in it????

thanks

xx

Hey Wonny,

I think yr thread is ideal for those either expecting to be going thru a similar situation in the future, or perhaps even others out there who are thinking of going thru the process in the coming months - that's what a message board thread is for in the first place, to allow many users to learn and contribute in order to share information.

So, we're down to:

1. what are generally the best TEFL/TEOSL/CELTA type qualifications.

2. what differences are there between ordinary bachelor degress and specific edu degrees.

3. what laws are about to change, particulalrly regarding costs/marriage

4. issues around planning for long term (10-20yrs) stay.

Ultimately, a fine thread - good points don't you think Dr. P.Pong?? :o

"...may it be with you."

Dear Jedi One,

The parameters of thread have indeed been set, these do appear the fundas for normal westernized kats who wish to come to Thailand to work in the EFL field. There is a lot of misnomas surrounding such vibrations and things would be better clarified. There are various kats working in various places with various qualifications and if rules are to change the Dr should inform.

Wonny, i reckon if your bf is doing degree in english in holland he will be fine, teaching english is not a domain of native speakers, even more so those whose only qualification is a native tongue. If he is qualified in teaching, then he will be fine in Thailand i reckon.

Dr, any news or views from your side? it appears to me that this lass is serious about her man and does wish some informed opinion so they can plan their loving and happy future together. Such ladies need informing and encouraging i reckon as they appear to me few and far between.

" the realm of the one is open to all "

aksar

Thank you :o

Yup i just need info. It might sound silly to some ppl cose it's still in the future. But isn't that why info is important for making a decision for the future???

Thank you very much for every advises :D i do appreciate them.

xx