Water Storage Tank

bankruatsteve

OK – I have a 1500l water storage tank for 2 years now (theblue kind – but it doesn’t get much sun). It gets feeds from the local supply + a bore when the local doesn’tsupply. Both the supplies “look” cleanand when I open the top of the tank I see clear water and no smell. BUT – it is definitely accumulating some kindof scum on the sides and bottom. We usethe tank supply mainly for feed to the house plumbing: washing machine, showers, toilets, handbasin, dishes, tooth brush, etc.

So, my question is: Should I worry about the scum build up? If so, is there some chemical like Cl or F tablets that I can put in thetank on periodic basis to help keep it clean?

Any experienced water tank cleaners out there?

Don't know if you can get tank cleaners or chemicals, never really thought about it but you posting this made me look at my tank which a beige speckled patterned colour, the inside is smooth and clean.

At the bottom of the tank there is some nicely settled black muck, so undoing the drain plug at the very bottom most of the tank out came the crap not all but a good fair bit.

The tank is fed from the main and the water in it only gets used via a pump when we have no water which is usually after 9.30pm to about 4.00am.

We have a filter for drinking water but other water say in flushing toilets and washbasin water is sometime a brownie colour first thing, which must be the reason for the crap in the tank.

Maybe someone with a blue tank will come on after they have bothered looking like me.:D

Most likely algae growth. If water runs clean, I would not worry too much.

A three stage filter for drinking water will remove any remaining impurities. First stage sediment filter, then active charcoal for taste, and a UV light for bacteria.

The bottom of the tank will accumulate all the debris that settles out, periodic draining will keep the level of 'muck' down

If your nose detects the water going off, then drain, wash-out and rinse with chlorine bleach to kill anything alive.

To keep my 1500 ltr stainless tank clean and "pure," I add a capful of household bleach to the tank weekly. Seems to do the trick...and I don't think it does any harm (either to the tank, piping system, or me).

Sounds like a good thing to try. But, only a capful? Only once a week? I think I might experiment with larger and more frequent doses. My gf always wanted to be blond. :)

To keep my 1500 ltr stainless tank clean and "pure," I add a capful of household bleach to the tank weekly. Seems to do the trick...and I don't think it does any harm (either to the tank, piping system, or me).

Sounds like a good thing to try. But, only a capful? Only once a week? I think I might experiment with larger and more frequent doses. My gf always wanted to be blond. :)

You know Thais and their sensitive noses, even at that level, my GF can smell it and says I'm trying to kill her :lol: Maybe a better idea would be the same amount but more frequent application (2-3x per week) depending on how much water you use (how soon you go through a tank).

Edited by FarangBuddha