Closed Highways

dthomasss

At Rangsit, take Hwy 305 east towards Nakhon Nayok, then two options:

-- at Km 58, take the left to Ban Na, there take a left on 33 for about a km, then a right which runs about 40 km north to Khaeng Khoi on Hwy 2, then head to Pak Chong;

-- alternatively, head on to Nakhon Nayok on 305, take the right just after the hospital on to Hwy 33, on to the "circle" Prachin Buri, go around it and head north over Khao Yai Park, a fun drive in any case.

Mac

-- at Km 58, take the left to Ban Na, there take a left on 33 for about a km, then a right which runs about 40 km north to Khaeng Khoi on Hwy 2, then head to Pak Chong;

-- alternatively, head on to Nakhon Nayok on 305, take the right just after the hospital on to Hwy 33, on to the "circle" Prachin Buri, go around it and head north over Khao Yai Park, a fun drive in any case.

Mac

Thanks. Couple questions - from the sukhumvit entrance on the highway how do I get to Rangsit? I Imagine the Ban Na way is shorter and less time, and as far as you know are those roads open?

Mac

Thanks. Couple questions - from the sukhumvit entrance on the highway how do I get to Rangsit? I Imagine the Ban Na way is shorter and less time, and as far as you know are those roads open?

Sorry, can't guarantee the roads as haven't been out of our place at Klong 10, 13 km east of Rangsit on 305, for two days. But was out to the mouth of our soi this afternoon and traffic was moving both ways on 305, east towards Ongkarak & Nakhon Nayok, and west towards Rangsit. Reckon if there's a problem on the Ban Na-Khaeng Khoi route, there'll be signs posted and you can revert to the Prachin-Khao Yai route.

If you're getting on the Expressway right at Sukumvit Soi 1, at the RR tracks, head to Din Daeng, stay in right lane and get up on the Don Muang Tollway, after you pay baht 60. Keep going past the airport, pay another baht 25. Keep going until you see Future Park on the right, and take the Nakhon Nayok exit to your left. It'll swing round and drop you in a proper traffic mess, I expect, right at the start of Hwy 305. At least the mess, if it's still there when you hit the area, dissipates after a few kms.

Good luck, post your experiences, good, middle, or bad, when you finish.

Oh, yes, and a "thank you" to ThinkNet for your good maps on CD, real handy sometimes.

Mac

post-32650-0-10924600-1318672768_thumb.j

post-32650-0-41782600-1318672788_thumb.j

post-32650-0-35853600-1318672808_thumb.j

we came back a couple of days ago from Khao Yai/Pak Chong - roads were okay apart from Rangsit/Wang Noi but have got a lot worse since.Try this live Govt road maps - seems quite reliable http://maintenance.doh.go.th/test.html

My understanding also is that the area around Wang Noi is flooded. Farther north at Nong Khae and Hin Kong, things seem to be flood free. As of a day or so ago, friends heading back to BKK from the NE said Hwy 1 at Saraburi was closed and traffic coming in from Koraat was being detoured off Hwy 2 to Nakon Nayok province, then on to Rangsit.

Not sure how up to date the map is, but it looks iike Saraburi is open with the only blockage on Hwy 1 south of Saraburi being at Wang Noi.

Edited by AmeriThai

we came back a couple of days ago from Khao Yai/Pak Chong - roads were okay apart from Rangsit/Wang Noi but have got a lot worse since.Try this live Govt road maps - seems quite reliable http://maintenance.doh.go.th/test.html

My understanding also is that the area around Wang Noi is flooded. Farther north at Nong Khae and Hin Kong, things seem to be flood free. As of a day or so ago, friends heading back to BKK from the NE said Hwy 1 at Saraburi was closed and traffic coming in from Koraat was being detoured off Hwy 2 to Nakon Nayok province, then on to Rangsit.

Not sure how up to date the map is, but it looks iike Saraburi is open with the only blockage on Hwy 1 south of Saraburi being at Wang Noi.

It seems like things are getting a bit worse. Not sure whether we will be able to go by way of Rangsit, then Hwy 305 east towards Nakhon Nayok, then at Km 58, left to Ban Na, left on 33, then a right about 40 km north to Khaeng Khoi on Hwy 2, then head to Pak Chong.

Does this look passable?

..dthomasss

Here are maps and Flood Hotline numbers re flood affected roads.

PS. This was as of 10a Saturday 15th. Updates each 4 hours.

Have been calling every 20 minutes since yesterday and can't get through.

I guess I am trying to figure out if that route is getting worse or better as waters get closer to Bangkok.

The holiday is prepaid and 8 people involved so we are trying to find a way to make it work!

It seems like things are getting a bit worse. Not sure whether we will be able to go by way of Rangsit, then Hwy 305 east towards Nakhon Nayok, then at Km 58, left to Ban Na, left on 33, then a right about 40 km north to Khaeng Khoi on Hwy 2, then head to Pak Chong.

Does this look passable?

I'd recommend checking the link MichaelJohn posted as it shows which roads are closed and which are open to traffic. Zoom in for better detail. Here's the info my buddy emailed me yesterday about his return from Surin. You should be able to determine and plot out the best routes to take. There may be a lot of traffic and slower than normal travel time.

The trip back was fine until we passed through Saraburi. Just south of Saraburi town the police had blocked the main road headed south and were re-directing all traffic west into Nakon Nayok Prov. and then southward and finally back eastward to the Rangsit area. Traffic was very congested on those small roads, many big trucks, and we got off track and ended up heading on southward into Chacheongsao Province instead of turning back west towards Rangsit. Maybe that was fortunate I don’t know as I’ve heard there was bad flooding around the Rangsit area.

The road on southward into Chacheongsao was flooded in places, that is a very low-lying area, but there were backhoes and other equipment placing dirt embankments along the road. In most places there was water as far as the eye could see on both sides of the road but other than along the road itself there we no dwellings in sight. We were about 3 hours later than normal arriving in Bangkok.

Hope that helps a little.

..dthomasss

Here are maps and Flood Hotline numbers re flood affected roads.

PS. This was as of 10a Saturday 15th. Updates each 4 hours.

Can you tell me the link to that map? It is too small for me to see from your post

..sorry there is no link..i took a photo from the map at the airport..here is the latest update as of 10am 16/10.

You can always view it side by side with a road map..not that hard to work out surely!

post-3017-0-00505800-1318748056_thumb.jp

I'd recommend checking the link MichaelJohn posted as it shows which roads are closed and which are open to traffic. Zoom in for better detail. Here's the info my buddy emailed me yesterday about his return from Surin. You should be able to determine and plot out the best routes to take. There may be a lot of traffic and slower than normal travel time.

The trip back was fine until we passed through Saraburi. Just south of Saraburi town the police had blocked the main road headed south and were re-directing all traffic west into Nakon Nayok Prov. and then southward and finally back eastward to the Rangsit area. Traffic was very congested on those small roads, many big trucks, and we got off track and ended up heading on southward into Chacheongsao Province instead of turning back west towards Rangsit. Maybe that was fortunate I don't know as I've heard there was bad flooding around the Rangsit area.

The road on southward into Chacheongsao was flooded in places, that is a very low-lying area, but there were backhoes and other equipment placing dirt embankments along the road. In most places there was water as far as the eye could see on both sides of the road but other than along the road itself there we no dwellings in sight. We were about 3 hours later than normal arriving in Bangkok.

Hope that helps a little.

I keep seeing that google map with the red and green traingles on it. Red is self-explanatory, but what does green mean?

I fear that Bangkok needs not only to look out for waters coming from the North. Last time I looked on a weather storm prediction (which I now cannot find again, tropical storm Banyan was expected to track over this part of Issaan (SiSaket) and move due East over Surin, Buriram and Korat before hitting the Bangkok area mid week. If that is the case then (a) could be a lot of storm rain to come from Banyan (B) those cities mentioned are likely to suffer the three very wet days we have had in south SiSaket province Friday, Saturday (very bad) and Sunday (a bit less today). Seems like there is a 2-3 day lag as the weather systems are slow moving.

Keep posting updates guys. I'm travelling Si Saket to Jomtien tomorrow, so interested in the route Highway 24, 304 over the top to Prachinburi and Chonburi province generally

Dunno where that emoticon came from - it was unintentional :-)

Edited by SantiSuk

Should be good from all reports I have seen but that could change in lower (Minburi) area as more water flows that way.

:thumbsup: Well said. While maps and reports are helpful, conditions can and do change rather quickly. Just using some of the examples I've mentioned, athough there is no flooding at Nong Khae (in Saraburi province), it's still possible the flood waters at Wang Noi could potentially work its way up that direction. I'm hoping that won't happen though.

Can anyone shed some info? Is the Rt 32 divided highway north from Ayutthaya up to Rt 21 towards Tak Fa still underwater in spots? Or is it passable? TIA for any replies.

Keep posting updates guys. I'm travelling Si Saket to Jomtien tomorrow, so interested in the route Highway 24, 304 over the top to Prachinburi and Chonburi province generally

Today I see there are floods in Prachinburi area around HW 319 which wasn't there when I checked the Highway Map yesterday. May have to use HW 304 further east to get to Pattaya. Any updates on HW 304 to Pattaya?

Also, I'm coming from the north using HW21 through Saraburi and then onto HW33. Anyone with info on road closures along this stretch?

Mac

Thanks so much for your help! It was an easy drive throiugh Ban Na except for a little bit of flooding at Rangsit. I guess I will return the same way Friday as I think it will be a while before Highway 1 will be open again.

Mac

Thanks so much for your help! It was an easy drive throiugh Ban Na except for a little bit of flooding at Rangsit. I guess I will return the same way Friday as I think it will be a while before Highway 1 will be open again.

I may have spoken too soon. If Rangsit closes, is there another approach I can take gettingo sukhumvit?

^ The only other options may be to head TOWARDS Korat and then take 24 and 304/314 to bring you further south and east through Kabin Buri and Chachoengsao onto Highway 7 (about 35 km east Suvarnabhumi) and into Krung Thep that way. However, despite the flood defences being bolstered at Suvarnabhumi, there is no protection for the low lying parts of the motorway between the airport, through Rom Klao and the #9 ring road to where it starts being elevated.

The wife just spoke with a couple of bus companies on the Morchit-Udon run and they are still running but diverting through the way I have suggested above. That will make for a really busy, slow and possibly risky passage through the hills on 304 between Kabin Buri and Korat. They also said the bus run is probably more like +10 hours so she is catching Nok Air's red-eye manana.... before Don Meuang airport floods!!!

If you have a roof rack, buy a boat in Pak Chong!

For the avoidance of doubt for the guy posting above about updates on the 304 from Issaan to Pattaya (and potentially the Bangkok area).

As I have posted on a couple of other threads, I came down 304 from Highway 24 to Jomtien on Tuesday. Very quick and very dry - can't see where that road would be flooding anytime soon. The difficulties will be in getting into BKK from any point West or South West of the city once you leave the 304 if BKK gets the inundation that people fear.

For the avoidance of doubt for the guy posting above about updates on the 304 from Issaan to Pattaya (and potentially the Bangkok area).

As I have posted on a couple of other threads, I came down 304 from Highway 24 to Jomtien on Tuesday. Very quick and very dry - can't see where that road would be flooding anytime soon. The difficulties will be in getting into BKK from any point West or South West of the city once you leave the 304 if BKK gets the inundation that people fear.

IU am going to attempt to return to Bangkok via Ban Na (highway 33) to the 305 and then nsee if I get to Highway 9 and circle around to the 7 to tomorrow. if I make itget into Bangkok (Sukhumvit). I will post

IU am going to attempt to return to Bangkok via Ban Na (highway 33) to the 305 and then nsee if I get to Highway 9 and circle around to the 7 to tomorrow. if I make itget into Bangkok (Sukhumvit). I will post

Made it back to Bangkok the same route, except had to take Outer Ring Road to the motorway to get into town. The traffic was not so bad except for many large trucks before Ban Na, but on Rangsit between Outer Ring and Thanyaburi it was a madhouse heading out of town to the Northeast, and that was at 11:00 this morning!

Made it back to Bangkok the same route, except had to take Outer Ring Road to the motorway to get into town. The traffic was not so bad except for many large trucks before Ban Na, but on Rangsit between Outer Ring and Thanyaburi it was a madhouse heading out of town to the Northeast, and that was at 11:00 this morning!

Not looking forward to the crawl over the hill after Kabinburi as we make our way home from Jomtien this weekend. Chances of getting 7 girls to get up and shower in one bathroom for an early start are negligible.

[They range from 2 years old to 13, plus my wife BTW - before I get too many unwarranted plaudits for stamina/limitless dosh :rolleyes: ]