Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

i am in Bangbon, and far from the grist mill of inundation, but when I went to the very large tent market just west of here (three kilometers west of the Big C near Bangbon 3) they had ankle-deep floodwater, and rising. This has never happened before, an aging seamstress told me as she made a dress. The water fields are moving south, on both sides of Bangkok improper. As the PM and Governor said, "the worst is over", but only for the SET financial district and hardcore downtown. For the rest of us, the water is coming, and to keep them dry. I understand this logically, SET and Siam Mall are obviously more important than Teacher Fred, but emotionally I feel like they short-sheeted my bed.

I don't think that protecting what the government considers key areas of Bangkok has that much effect on those of us to the west of the Chao Phraya.

There's too much water directly north of us. They best they can do is manage the flow and try to get it to the gulf.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

canal meters say Saen Saeb at Ekamai and Asoke are flooding. True or not ?

I'm out near the Saen Saeb meter named SS05 (ca 1 km south/west of the mall Bang Kapi), which is up only a litle and can confirm no flooding around here. So, if flooding in the downtown part of Saen saeb, the water may come from klong Lad prao, which is up a lot.

Edited by satiariyan

Anyone see anything "on the ground" at Khlong Saeng Sab at the Asoke/Phetburi intersection - the Water Measurement System live report is showing the water level well over the top. Similarly for Khlong Sam Sen at Ekamai.

http://dds.bangkok.go.th/Canal/PageStation.aspx

Re: Khlong Saen Saeb,Asoke/Phetburi:

Must be an error; SS04(Klong Tan), a few kms. upstream, and SS01(Bo-Be),downstream, show no problems, and there are no reports of water thundering down Rachada from the north. I think Klong Lardprao joins Saen Saeb a couple of kms. north of Klong Tan.

Edited by belubettlo

Anyone see anything "on the ground" at Khlong Saeng Sab at the Asoke/Phetburi intersection - the Water Measurement System live report is showing the water level well over the top. Similarly for Khlong Sam Sen at Ekamai.

http://dds.bangkok.g...ageStation.aspx

Just checked at bridge on asoke/ Phetburi. No flooding. Water level normal. One meter below top of khlong. Must be computer glitch

for Asoke....is says "right"...... which would mean it should be flowing down asoke towards Sukhumvit. and the same fore the Ekamai one....

Strange.

but its a blue "-99". Strangely the Don Meuang one we know is over flowing is a brown colour and 1.55. (which is real).

will put it down to system failing.

Edited by skippybangkok

" that if the east bank of the Chao Praya has "not much effect on those of us to the west", then why are the sandbag placements on the east side of the river almost one meter higher than the west bank"

maybe because the BMA have been working to get the job done but the FROC and the local municipals on the west bank have been dragging their feet. I really don't think that's the answer, but hey.

I know where i am the municipal does seem to be dragging it's feet. We have a very,very fast moving Tha chin river that is ready to burst it's banks in a big way (several breaches already) and no talk of emergency shelter etc

canal meters say Saen Saeb at Ekamai and Asoke are flooding. True or not ?

SA04 on the Water Measurement System site? Yeah, according to the website it's massively overflowing. Anybody there??

SA04 is klong Samsen - different part of town

Sa04 Klong Samsen Thanon Ekamai is in Huay Kwang district - certainly not the Eastern Bus Terminal Ekamai, which is at Ekamai South. Huay Kwang begins when you cross Phetburi Road at Ekamai North, and Sa04 seems to be on, or below, Thanon Pradist Manudharm, which is the new extension to Ekamai Rd. starting a few hundred metres before the Ekamai/Phetburi junction. The road has a flyover across Phetburi Rd. Samsen Canal flows parallel to Rama IX Rd and south of it, and joins Saen Saeb about 400m south of where Klong Lardprao joins it.

Samsen Canal starts from the Chao Phraya just north of Wachira Hospital and flows generally east. None of the three other stations between the river and Sa04 have any overflow, so the only way for Sa04 to overflow is for the water to come down Klong Lardprao faster than anybody can report it, turn right(south) at the junction of Lardprao and Saen Saeb canals, and then turn right (west) into Samsen Canal and not flow south along Saen Saeb to Klong Tan. No way! At both Sa04 and SS03 the figure at the top says -99. Looks like another false reading to me.

EDIT:

All this research about Klong Samsen was just a waste of time. The status on the stations without problems says in Thai "poo kradit" or "usual/normal", and on Sa04 and SS03 the status is "kad kong" which I thought meant unusual/abnormal i.e. overflow. But the penny's just dropped, and "kad kong" probably means "out of order."

Re: out of order:

I remember a cartoon in Punch which showed a dog looking forlornly at a tree which had a notice saying Out Of Order on it.

Edited by belubettlo

Thawi Watthana is officially flooded.

My mooban is 50cm under water.

It seems to be rising but slowly.

Not sure how high it will rise, I'm hoping that is enough and will stop after tomorrow afternoon.

It hasn't reached into my house or my car yet, just my yard.

I'm packed and ready to leave, however I don't have a way to get out.

So I'm playing the waiting game and see how it will be tomorrow.

..I find myself doubtful about the east and west, in regards to what will happen here in the west ,especially over the next twenty days... But too much information available is either erroneous or sanctimonious from governmental sources, and I am left guessing..

My friend,

Nobody knows nothing here! Take your best guess looking at the worst possible scenario, and take care of your family! Forget the infrastructure, such as State, Province, Municipality. Those terms do not apply around here. We live in a jungle, jungle with a Skytrain, Cartier stores etc, but still a jungle

Thawi Watthana is flooded.

Edited by valgehiir

@ FangFerang. No, my post isn't optimistic. West of the Chao Phraya will have major problems.

I say that protecting central Bangkok doesn't have much effect on the west because there's a ton of water in Nakhom Pathom and Nonthaburi that is flowing into the western parts of Bangkok, soon into Samut Sakhon and maybe into parts of Samut Sangkhram. Protecting a few central districts will have little effect because that water has already left the direct path of the Chao Phraya.

I don't think the problems in the western part of Bangkok were unforeseen, either.

Western parts of Bangkok and Samut Sakhon have been listed as medium to risk areas all along.

Edited by erobando

I'm packed and ready to leave, however I don't have a way to get out.

So I'm playing the waiting game and see how it will be tomorrow.

as already advised you yesterday, clear off asap by any means. The best go by car, save it from flood

:rolleyes:

I almost feel ashamed for posting this since so many others are getting flooded...but I guess this topic is also for information on places NOT yet flooded (maybe not yet, I should say).

Anyhow at 08:10 on Monday 31 October Ladprakhao Road soi 42 in Lad Prao is still dry.

Traffic on Ladprakhao Road also seems normal...but less traffic than normal....still services like every day.

Ice man just showed up and delivered the daily ice supply for my family house.

Food shop open for breakfast if I want.

Just a normal day here.

:rolleyes:

Just used the Bus 134 from Pantip Ngamwongwan to TMB Bank Mochit.

The approach from Pantip to Phongphet is flooded, cars and buses using the flyover to go over the Junction, from the junction to about 150 metres past Chinnakhet is also flooded about 15cm maybe more in places on both sides, so if you are coming from Khlong Phrem use the bridge but if you want to travel to the Mall use the normal route by the side of the bridge but keep well to the right.

Khlong Phrem okay, the bus turns onto Vibhavadi Rangsit, and does the U-turn just up the road, Vibhavadi next to Kaset is flooded quite deep in places, and the turn onto Ngamwongwan and Kaset gates 1 and 2 is flooded badly as well, could not see further down the road, at this junction the water starts to disappear on VR. Looking up towards Central Ladprao and Union Mall no signs of water.

Here in Don Muang water still rising, woke this morning to ankle deep water in the house, and it is about waist deep if not deeper outside in the soi now, all activity seems to have ceased. May the water flow into the sea as quickly as possible not matter how it gets there!

I just read the artcile in the Post about people in Don Mueang breaking down a dike causing polluted flood water to flow into Klong Prapa which is the primary source for water for Bangkok water treatment plant. Even if we are not flooded in our particular neighborhood, we all could be affected by issues with the water supply. Like many other people, I have stored a supply tap water to be used for drinking if and when I run out of my bottled water and the shelves in stores are not resupplied. I found this video

regarding water purification techniques that some of you may find helpful. It is about 11 minutes long and the real discussion of techniques starts abou 1:50 into the video. Hope that you all remain safe and that this helps a little.

Decent information seems to be hard to get..

Many people are confused exactly where the water is and how deep.

I could not find this information and neither could anyone I spoke too.

I thought this was quite an important thing to know for people so ... I wrote this app yesterday, as you can see some people have already

started to use it and mark the flood levels.

You just click on the area and click on a level .. easy.If the app gets many reports it automatically uses an average of the most recent. http://as-int.com/flood/ What do you think? Send it to your friends .. the more people use it the better it will be.

Shouldn't the goverment have done something like this?

Update, Ramintra Soi 19 and 21 are half a metre now. Looks like its climbing pretty fast.

I wish to update. Ram Intra Soi 19 (20cm), Soi 21 (15cm) and Soi 5 (10cm) is now flooded. My security is now pumping water out of my moo baan Patra's drains, inside moo baan is still dry.

If you go along Ram Inthra towards Minburi, can you have check the odd soi side around KM.8?

Our neighbor said that the fields there have some water. After that, maybe go up Khu Bon Rd?

Live in Soi 5 Ramintra. Ramintra main road is high and dry. But water had creeped in at Soi 19 now's about 10cm or less. Expect to rise further but not much and fast.

Thanks joetys. I live on soi 23 but work in US right now. Any update this morning on water level? Many thanks!

Decent information seems to be hard to get..

Many people are confused exactly where the water is and how deep.

I could not find this information and neither could anyone I spoke too.

I thought this was quite an important thing to know for people so ... I wrote this app yesterday, as you can see some people have already

started to use it and mark the flood levels.

You just click on the area and click on a level .. easy.If the app gets many reports it automatically uses an average of the most recent. http://as-int.com/flood/ What do you think? Send it to your friends .. the more people use it the better it will be.

Shouldn't the goverment have done something like this?

That is excellent, thanks :) Two suggestions - a shade for areas reported to be dry, and maybe a message showing the last report date for a tile when you hover over it?

Can we pin this map?

Edited by Crushdepth