Where Is It Flooding ?

anon7867763

Saen Saeb through Thonglor running normally today, though a tad higher than yesterday, boats running as normal and fisherman out in force.

Cannot use my car, simple fact is I don't want to lose the high parking space in my condo, I'm amazed how many are crammed in, I'm sure half of them don't live here.

Same at Nana pier. This morning was the highest I have ever seen it but now it has started to recede. In my condo, cars are parked everywhere making it impossible for people who have legitimate spaces to get out even if they wanted to. I asked the security guard what happens if people need to go to work or just leave and he shrugged his shoulders...

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one more important tips for keeping drinking water :

after water been purified or boiled, DRINK IT AS SOON ( within hours even in sealed container ) ! most purification processes actually hibernates the bacteria but NOT killing them. these bacteria will alive again in the processed water as long as air and light are presented in the container.

I stock water from the RO purifier, I drink the 'oldest' bottle first. water more than a week, use it for cooking and for brushing teeth.

Pub lic Health Advice:

re contaminated water, there are 2 options which can be employed singly or in combination:

1.Boiling: bringing to a full boil will kill off most nasties, but larvae of amoeba can withstand it for up to  15 minutes. A full boil for 15 minutes will deal with that. Even just a momentary boil, while you may ingest some amoebic cysts, will not make you ill in the near term. (Much later, you may have amoeba).

2. Chlorination: simple household bleach will do. Just a 1-3 drops per liter is usually enough. If treating larger amounts of water at a time there are formulas on the web, but a much simpler approach is this: there should be just the faintest detectable smell of chlorine apparent . If you cannot detect any at all, you need to add a touch more until you do. If the smell of chlorine is strong, or if there is a pronounced chlorine taste, it's too much, dilute further. Let the newly chlorinated water sit for an hour or so before drinking so that the chlorine does it's job. Chlorine does dissipate so treated water after time may lose the smell, that's Ok as long as you had it initially.

As utilities may go down, or gas be hard to resupply, I'd suggest everyone stock a liter of household bleach just in case.<br><br>These methods can be used even for pond water/flood water although I would filter first to remove as much sediment and debris as possible. Letting the water sit a while and then pouring off the top part only will also help remove sediment. Boil or add chlorine after such filtration.

One important caveat: boiling and chlorination will kill pathogens (germs) but it does nothing for any chemical contaminants. (heavy metals, insecticides etc.)

one more important tips for keeping drinking water :

after water been purified or boiled, DRINK IT AS SOON ( within hours even in sealed container ) ! most purification processes actually hibernates the bacteria but NOT killing them. these bacteria will alive again in the processed water as long as air and light are presented in the container.

I stock water from the RO purifier, I drink the 'oldest' bottle first. water more than a week, use it for cooking and for brushing teeth.

Pub lic Health Advice:

re contaminated water, there are 2 options which can be employed singly or in combination:

1.Boiling: bringing to a full boil will kill off most nasties, but larvae of amoeba can withstand it for up to  15 minutes. A full boil for 15 minutes will deal with that. Even just a momentary boil, while you may ingest some amoebic cysts, will not make you ill in the near term. (Much later, you may have amoeba).

2. Chlorination: simple household bleach will do. Just a 1-3 drops per liter is usually enough. If treating larger amounts of water at a time there are formulas on the web, but a much simpler approach is this: there should be just the faintest detectable smell of chlorine apparent . If you cannot detect any at all, you need to add a touch more until you do. If the smell of chlorine is strong, or if there is a pronounced chlorine taste, it's too much, dilute further. Let the newly chlorinated water sit for an hour or so before drinking so that the chlorine does it's job. Chlorine does dissipate so treated water after time may lose the smell, that's Ok as long as you had it initially.

As utilities may go down, or gas be hard to resupply, I'd suggest everyone stock a liter of household bleach just in case.<br><br>These methods can be used even for pond water/flood water although I would filter first to remove as much sediment and debris as possible. Letting the water sit a while and then pouring off the top part only will also help remove sediment. Boil or add chlorine after such filtration.

One important caveat: boiling and chlorination will kill pathogens (germs) but it does nothing for any chemical contaminants. (heavy metals, insecticides etc.)

Thats right. If anyone has a black light, uv rays will kill bakteria as well. If no heating possibility, tabwater can be Coffefiitered,filled in plastic bottles and put into full sunlight if there is for 5 hours. Does the job, if no other Choice.

Out here in Minburi at Ramkhamheng Soi 164 everything is sunny and dry and in fact the boats on the canal are roaring up and down again. A sound I did not hear for the last 2 weeks. Moo Ban's such as Perfect Place, Tararom, Home Place, Swiss Chalet are not affected. Friends told me that Moo Ban Samakorn on Ramkhamheng Soi 112/110 had a bit of water at the end towards the canal.

Thanks for info.

Bkk governor has added Huay Kwang to the list of closely-watched districts. /RT @tulsathit

Anyone have any idea where any water might be coming from that would affect Huay Kwang?

Chachuchak and Lad Phrao.

OK. There is a klong that runs to the east side of Huay Kwang from Don Muaeng, and also a smaller one that runs through from the top of Lad Phrao.

Bkk governor has added Huay Kwang to the list of closely-watched districts. /RT @tulsathit

Anyone have any idea where any water might be coming from that would affect Huay Kwang?

Chachuchak and Lad Phrao.

OK. There is a klong that runs to the east side of Huay Kwang from Don Muaeng, and also a smaller one that runs through from the top of Lad Phrao.

The former would be the very Klong Lad Prao itself, which is being reported starting to overflow towards the east. By the way, here's a link to yet a floddmap - this one has already been updated several times today and apparently the overflow of Lad phrao is spreading relatively fast --- and so is the bulk of flood going south from Kasem.

http://maps.google.fr/maps/ms?msid=203278216882407399461.0004af623e23c9dccde11&msa=0&ll=13.880079,100.654678&spn=0.405955,0.727158

Pub lic Health Advice:

Good advice. But store tap water now. Bath, bottles or if nothing else plastic bags (Thailand has plenty of those and you can practice that expert rubber band twist that stall holders use - it seems to keep liquids from leaking). A 15 minute boil of such water would still be appropriate prior to use unless your body is accustomed to local tap water already.

Edited by SantiSuk

About klongs, rivers, tides, and warning messages.

It get more and more obvious that everybody like to jell andgive out messages for warnings to early or to late contradiction itself in alarge echo of panic.

With the tides now at highest point for today and tomorrowit will ease a little the low tide is much lower from now on so more water willfind his way to the sea.

At the same point the water of the north seems to moveslowly down now reaching the city center klongs and rivers mid next week.

Yes there will be still some flooding by incidental floodbarrier brakes but the overall picture is that it will ease and flow to the seaas it always did.

And let hope they do their work smooth and quick to open asmany barriers to get the job done before the end of next month when anotherhigh tide arrive with even higher tides then now.

Looks like the saucer is slowly filling up. Poorer areas along the river already complain about no food, no water on German Tv this morning. I really begin to wonder how this will be handled. There are Millions of these poor people soon without food and drinking water. That is getting really scary.

If you are not sinking by now, then congratulations. High tide was supposed to be at 9:30am this morning according to the TAN network bulletin at 8:00am (Edit: just seen the Live News thread where it is implied that 9:09 is high tide). First hurdle passed.

If someone on this thread knows that Sukhumvit is at an elevation of 3.5 metres why does the government not know and publish areas of higher elevation? Perhaps they thought all the hoi polloy would come and park their knackered old trucks in Klong Toeiwhere all the Thai knobs live and make it a tad inconvenient for them :rolleyes:

Sukhumvit Road stretches to the Cambodian border but none of the section in Bkk from Ploenchit to Bang Na and Samut Prakarn Province is at 3.5 metres above mean sea level. The average is probably less than 0.5 metres above with some parts 0.5-1 metre below.

It is not interesting for the hoi polloi to park their trucks in the street but they might be interested in an invasion of high rise condos complete with hillbillie trucks and machetes, stopping to pick up some imported cuts of Argentine filet steak for nuea nam tok, Japanese snow fish for pla yang kleua and a bottle or two of Petrus or Lafite on the way. Someone at the Thai Chamber of Commerce meeting complained that squatters had entered his home in Muang Ake after he evacuated his family from there. Life on the second floor of a rich family's house in Muang Ake is probably better than life in a one storey house next to a klong. Viva la revolucion.

Edited by Arkady

Hi pals,

I am searching, but somehow I can not find it. I am looking for the list of closed (main) roads. I am planning going with a car from Suratthani to Chiang Mai next week. Any hints ?

Thank you.

and lad phrao flooded from soi 50 till 70 i not see water any where near

On that google map if blue means flood then it's &lt;deleted&gt;, I live serithai road near Bang chan industrial estate and it has blue all the way around there and minburi, it's dry as

Hi pals,

I am searching, but somehow I can not find it. I am looking for the list of closed (main) roads. I am planning going with a car from Suratthani to Chiang Mai next week. Any hints ?

Thank you.

Yep.. make sure you carry lots of water and food. check ya spare tyre and jack( the roads have been damaged by flood water). And be prepared for a LONG drive. google shows it as a 23hour drive in normal conditions, now it will be A LOT longer. The Roads are actually clear as far as i know. but you will have to go via Nakhon Pathom and across country to Suphan Buri.

Don't forget that a lot if not ALL hotels etc are booked up with bkk flood evacuees.

Good luck

On that google map if blue means flood then it's &lt;deleted&gt;, I live serithai road near Bang chan industrial estate and it has blue all the way around there and minburi, it's dry as

Were you down the sois on that stretch? - According to the floodmap, there isn't flood on Thannon Lad Prao itself.

Pub lic Health Advice:

Good advice. But store tap water now. Bath, bottles or if nothing else plastic bags (Thailand has plenty of those and you can practice that expert rubber band twist that stall holders use - it seems to keep liquids from leaking). A 15 minute boil of such water would still be appropriate prior to use unless your body is accustomed to local tap water already.

Speaking of bags of water, I still see stores that have run out of water but still have bags of ice in stock.

We used to have a 3-cylinder water filter, and the 3rd cylinder was black light.

Any idea as to which is more effective:

A) Leaving the electric kettle on 24/7 filled with water

OR

B) Using the black light cylinder

ALSO

I don't want to start a panic, but Tops at Central LP appeared to be out of canned beer.

A local 7-11 had four cans (until I bought them).

Shelves were a lot emptier than my last visit less than 40 hours ago.

Were you down the sois on that stretch? - According to the floodmap, there isn't flood on Thannon Lad Prao itself.

was in 64 no flood no water 2 hour ago

A few pics from around Watcharaphon.....good reason to play with my Canon Powershot G12.....

Showing W. Road about a kilometer from the 5 Yaek, and then Suk. 5 and the shortcut to Foodland. The dry one is my village, thank Buddha! Note how high the klong is...that's on Suk. 5, about a kilometer or a little less going west from the 5 Yaek.

Such a beautiful day today, too!

Thanks a million for the pics tominbkk! Good news to see the area is holding up reasonably well. I'm going home on Monday if all is fine as I really need to check on my house. Right now down in Pattaya enjoying the beach and pool with the family.

Best of luck to you and hoping Hok Wa holds up.

TAN announced that the Water Authority is rationing tapwater service in many western and southwestern areas surrounding, Thonburi including Bangkoknoi, Bangbon, etc. Service to run 6AM -9Am, and 5PM-8PM daily starting tomorrow I presume as the water is still on here in Bangbon, albeit smelly with a metallic chemical taste even the water purifier is not removing. Being practical, I am switching to beer.

was in 64 no flood no water 2 hour ago

Well, 2 hours ago, the map still didn't show any overflow south of Thannon Lad Prao.

BTW, is it possible to use another simile aside from "dry as a bone"?

He didn't get as far as "a bone" on the post I received.

Perhaps he was protecting our sensitivites from "dry as a witch's 'This Is Thailand'"

Staying on thread, the Petch-Param/Ruamkamphaeng side of Bangkapi is still dry.

Edited by Bpuumike

I don't want to start a panic, but Tops at Central LP appeared to be out of canned beer.

A local 7-11 had four cans (until I bought them).

Shelves were a lot emptier than my last visit less than 40 hours ago.

For anyone low on drinking water alcohol is not a good idea as it dehydrates you and makes you need to drink more water. Perhaps you can recycle the beer like astronauts, if you have the right equipment.