My Attempts To Buy A Pickup

DLock

Today, armed with 400,000 baht I was determined to either place a down payment on pickup, or put down a deposit and wait.

Given that the Colorado launched last Wednesday in Chiang Mai, I went to have a look at the 4 door, LZT and have a test drive. They didn't have a single Colorado on site and said December delivery time for the 4 door. Next.

I went to Toyota to look at the Vigo. They had one black 4 door in stock that I could buy. I asked if I could test drive it? No. I understood, but could I test drive a similar spec Vigo? No. Can I test drive any Vigo? No. I have never driven a Vigo and just wanted to see how it went, but they would not allow a test drive. Next.

Just for interests sake I asked about a Fortuner then and they said that they were scheduled for May next year, but because of the floods, probably June. Could I test drive one? No.

I went to Ford to ask about the new Ranger. They said they have a launch next Saturday and I said I would come to look. But I asked will I be able to test drive it? No. I would have to wait until January, but they said if I wait to January to order, it will be an April delivery.

Do Thais actually test drive cars, or do they just buy them for social standing?

I guess my attempts to be ahead of the new model curve is not going to happen.

It's amazing, the amount of bad service Thai people have to put up with when it come to buying a car.

You may have experienced bad service for "just" 400,000 THB, but it might be a consolation to you that even with a 4 Million THB budget the service is not much better. That together with the sheer incompetence of the salesperson, I really wonder how they can sell one single car.

I had similar experiences when I wanted yo buy a pick-up (for my in-laws) at Toyota and Isuzu, but surprising good service at the Mitsubishi dealer. Yeah, but he went out of business meanwhile.

The bad experience with Toyota dealer was confirmed a year later when I wanted to buy a Camry. So for me, Toyota is no longer an option, ever.

So I thought, perhaps the Mercedes-Benz dealer is better. Even worse! The salesman had no clue about the car, it's features and of course, no test drive possible.

Mercedes-Benz lately revealed that over 40% of all Benz in Thailand are gray import. No wonder with their bad service, limited choice of models and exaggerated prices. Check their website, it's a disgrace! And they don't even bother replying to email.

Pleasant surprise at Volvo. Competent and informed sales lady, Test drive? Of course. Terms and conditions met and car delivered home with comprehensive introduction into all switches and buttons.

Hi Dlock, sorry to hear about your truck woes but you seem really impatient! You start by saying you wouldn't mind putting down a deposit and waiting and then when Chevy offer December, not even two months away, you say - Next! - what's your idea of a wait then? do you measure in hours?

Bah, Toyota never have any stock - you buy one based on the fact that you're a sheep ;)

As for Ford/Chev, both are unreleased models, so it's not a case of bad service there, just chicken before the egg.

Go test drive the Triton - it's still got the best 2.5L out there, and with your down payment, 0% finance too.

As soon as Ford and Chevrolet plus the new Isuzu's start rolling off the production line the dealerships should be full of them!.

I remember going to our local Nissan dealer when the first Navara's came out, they had a full car park to choose one from, and they had a test drive truck.

Toyota's attitude is hard to fathom, we now have a new Vigo and I could only look at a similar model in the show room, luckily my mate let me drive his Prerunner a few times.

Hi Dlock, sorry to hear about your truck woes but you seem really impatient! You start by saying you wouldn't mind putting down a deposit and waiting and then when Chevy offer December, not even two months away, you say - Next! - what's your idea of a wait then? do you measure in hours?

I am extremely impatient, but that is besides the point.

If you read my post carefully, you will note that I said that because Chevrolet launched at the Chiang Mai Dealership last Wednesday (and I was not there), I went the following Saturday to take a look at the new Colorado and take it for a test drive. I made an assumption that when a Car company launches a car, they have new models on site to look at. Silly me.

They did not have a single Colorado on site....so not only could I not drive it, I could not see it.

I have lived here too long to trust anything a Thai person tells me. I want to see the car, drive the car and decide for myself.

I dont think it's too much to ask to actually see a car and then test drive it. Your opinion is odd.

After some resurch and inital showroom stops I place a deposit for a Tata and was told a delivery date in 1 month. I only wanted a work truck and Tata offered the lowest price, largest bed area, and best kpl.

When the month was up we were told it would be 1 more month. Due to the fact that Thailand only gets 25 units a month and I did not make the cut that month.

So we went back to Mitusbishi, my second choice and my wifes first choice. We had been dealing with the good Hang dong dealer who quickly offered a test drive but it was a week wait for white. So we by chance went to the dealer near the Tata dealer on the way home.

They had white in stock. When I said what the other dealer was offering, they too tossed in some freebies to match and beat the other dealer. They tried to change me to the diesel or CNG unit. Then to a extended cab unit. I said I only wanted to spend the minimun I could since it was only for work. The basic white gas single cab model was 421,000 baht.. I left in a new extended cab CNG model for 430,000 Baht, Yes a nearly 200,000 baht discount from list price. I paid cash on the spot and now have a truck in the driveway a few weeks old now with plates and book in my name

It was nice driving away from the dealer and seeing everyone stand outside and wonder how I got that deal.

Very happy with the truck and the service at Hang dong Mitsubishi. (Not the dealer I purchased it from)

you will note that I said that because Chevrolet launched at the Chiang Mai Dealership last Wednesday (and I was not there), I went the following Saturday to take a look at the new Colorado and take it for a test drive. I made an assumption that when a Car company launches a car, they have new models on site to look at. Silly me.

The event at Tapae Gate on the 12th had nothing to do with the local dealership - it was simply one stop for the Chev Colorado pre-launch roadshow.. Had you have been present there then, you would have been able to test drive.. Dealer demonstrators should be delivered within the next few weeks, so thst will be your next test drive oppty, unless you want to catch up with the roadshow ;)

you will note that I said that because Chevrolet launched at the Chiang Mai Dealership last Wednesday (and I was not there), I went the following Saturday to take a look at the new Colorado and take it for a test drive. I made an assumption that when a Car company launches a car, they have new models on site to look at. Silly me.

The event at Tapae Gate on the 12th had nothing to do with the local dealership - it was simply one stop for the Chev Colorado pre-launch roadshow.. Had you have been present there then, you would have been able to test drive.. Dealer demonstrators should be delivered within the next few weeks, so thst will be your next test drive oppty, unless you want to catch up with the roadshow ;)

I appreciate your input MRO, but the Dealer told me quite clearly that he would have a demo model on the Saturday after the Wednesday launch, thats why I went.

He still did not have prices for the 4 door model on the Saturday.

It's just a painful experience buying a new car in Chiang Mai. I think it is best to buy a car 6 months into its life when you can see, touch and hear what people say.

I will wait another month and try again.

I appreciate your input MRO, but the Dealer told me quite clearly that he would have a demo model on the Saturday after the Wednesday launch, thats why I went.

It's just a painful experience buying a new car in Chiang Mai. I think it is best to buy a car 6 months into its life when you can see, touch and hear what people say.

sounds like someone at the dealership must have thought the roadshow would leave behind trucks ;) Par for course I'm afraid - you're lucky if there's 1/10 salespeople that know their stuff...

As for pricing, Ford and Chev both have only released pricing for a few models.. It's starting to feel like a mexican standoff now, with each waiting for the other to announce first so they can strategically undercut..

As for waiting, for the Chev I agree - outside of the 6R80 gearbox it's all new and unproven. The Ford is almost all 4-5yo yo bin parts though, so largely a known quantity..

sounds like someone at the dealership must have thought the roadshow would leave behind trucks ;) Par for course I'm afraid - you're lucky if there's 1/10 salespeople that know their stuff...

As for pricing, Ford and Chev both have only released pricing for a few models.. It's starting to feel like a mexican standoff now, with each waiting for the other to announce first so they can strategically undercut..

As for waiting, for the Chev I agree - outside of the 6R80 gearbox it's all new and unproven. The Ford is almost all 4-5yo yo bin parts though, so largely a known quantity..

I've heard that official show-off in CM will be on 17th(not sure about the month thou :lol:)...will check tomorrow.

...and MRO what do you mean by "outside of the 6R80 gearbox it's all new and unproven. The Ford is almost all 4-5yo yo bin parts though, so largely a known quantity."??..I thought they are all should be "new"??

Chevrolet have prices for all their Colorado models on their website http://en.chevrolet.co.th/pricing-and-offers/estimate-payments/index.html

The 2.8L 2wd C-Cab AT LT Z71 at 835,000 is tempting me away from the 2.2 XLT Ranger at 799,000.

...and MRO what do you mean by "outside of the 6R80 gearbox it's all new and unproven. The Ford is almost all 4-5yo yo bin parts though, so largely a known quantity."??..I thought they are all should be "new"??

The Colorado is using all-new engines, and all new electronics. Ther Ranger's 3.2L 5pot has been in the Transit for 5 years, and the 2.2L in various models for about the same time. The electonics in the Ranger (stereo, bluetooth, voice control etc) are all borrowed from the Fiesta.

Chevrolet have prices for all their Colorado models on their website http://en.chevrolet....ents/index.html

The 2.8L 2wd C-Cab AT LT Z71 at 835,000 is tempting me away from the 2.2 XLT Ranger at 799,000.

So they do - have been on thew road, so missed the PR..

Note that the LT Z71 is lower spec than the Ford XLT though - the LTZ and LTZ Z71 is more on par, feature wise.

The Colorado is using all-new engines, and all new electronics. Ther Ranger's 3.2L 5pot has been in the Transit for 5 years, and the 2.2L in various models for about the same time. The electonics in the Ranger (stereo, bluetooth, voice control etc) are all borrowed from the Fiesta.

Chevrolet have prices for all their Colorado models on their website http://en.chevrolet....ents/index.html

So they do - have been on thew road, so missed the PR..

Note that the LT Z71 is lower spec than the Ford XLT though - the LTZ and LTZ Z71 is more on par, feature wise.

I'm looking for more of a "family" truck then performance,big loads etc....so,not really looking at the "top Power" specs,but more at the "all around" performance and economics(low fuel consumption),what will be the 1st choice in 4dr,2WD,AT truck?

I'm looking for more of a "family" truck then performance,big loads etc....so,not really looking at the "top Power" specs,but more at the "all around" performance and economics(low fuel consumption),what will be the 1st choice in 4dr,2WD,AT truck?

Assuming you're after a jacked-up version, the top picks IMHO would be the Ranger 2.2L XLT Hi-rider (799K) and the Mitsubishi Triton Plus 2.5L (809K). Both represent far better value propositions than their relative competitors (D-Max Highlander 2.5L AT = 873K, Colorado LTZ Z71 2.8L AT = 905K and Vigo Prerunner 3.0L AT = 889K).

The Ford is bigger and newer, and it's 2.2L shames much larger engines and promises better NVH than what we're used to in the segment.

The Mitsu has the better performing engine, gives the most features for the money, and has attractive financing - but it's older. Age is serving the Triton well though, and with the 2011 updates it still holds it ground against the newcomers.On a side note, rumors have it that the Triton Plus will soon be upgraded with a 5-speed AT, but that will no doubt come with a price rise too...

The Colorado LTZ Z71 has the most power out of those mentioned so far, but I expect that we will soon see the 3.2L Ford pricing it out of contention, for power-focussed buyers.

The D-Max Highlander is (almost over)loaded with gadgets, but the 2.5L remains pretty ordinary. The upgraded 3.0L Isuzu engine is a much better choice for this model, but that bumps the price up to 919K - a point where you really do have to question it's value for money.

I don't know what to say about the Vigo Champ Preunner - it's old, overpriced, under spec'd and just plain outclassed - for the Toyota devout only IMHO.

Assuming you're after a jacked-up version, the top picks IMHO would be the Ranger 2.2L XLT Hi-rider (799K) and the Mitsubishi Triton Plus 2.5L (809K). Both represent far better value propositions than their relative competitors (D-Max Highlander 2.5L AT = 873K, Colorado LTZ Z71 2.8L AT = 905K and Vigo Prerunner 3.0L AT = 889K).

The Ford is bigger and newer, and it's 2.2L shames much larger engines and promises better NVH than what we're used to in the segment.

The Mitsu has the better performing engine, gives the most features for the money, and has attractive financing - but it's older. Age is serving the Triton well though, and with the 2011 updates it still holds it ground against the newcomers.On a side note, rumors have it that the Triton Plus will soon be upgraded with a 5-speed AT, but that will no doubt come with a price rise too...

The Colorado LTZ Z71 has the most power out of those mentioned so far, but I expect that we will soon see the 3.2L Ford pricing it out of contention, for power-focussed buyers.

The D-Max Highlander is (almost over)loaded with gadgets, but the 2.5L remains pretty ordinary. The upgraded 3.0L Isuzu engine is a much better choice for this model, but that bumps the price up to 919K - a point where you really do have to question it's value for money.

I don't know what to say about the Vigo Champ Preunner - it's old, overpriced, under spec'd and just plain outclassed - for the Toyota devout only IMHO.

Thanks MRO,really appreciate your info...looks like the 2.2L XLT Hi-Rider could be the choice here,specially price-wise...BTW,I just visited the Mitsu dealer here in CM and had a chance to talk to the owner himself(I think),the new 5 speed AT Triton will be available very soon at the price of 825K(845K white)...and no more beige met color available.

Now,when it comes to fuel economy the 2.2L XLT should be the best ,I suppose...any comments,specs on that?...thanks again.

Thanks MRO,really appreciate your info...looks like the 2.2L XLT Hi-Rider could be the choice here,specially price-wise...BTW,I just visited the Mitsu dealer here in CM and had a chance to talk to the owner himself(I think),the new 5 speed AT Triton will be available very soon at the price of 825K(845K white)...and no more beige met color available.

Now,when it comes to fuel economy the 2.2L XLT should be the best ,I suppose...any comments,specs on that?...thanks again.

Triton Plus 2.5L VGS (178Hp) 4AT gets 8.9 - 14.0 KM/L

Ranger 2.2L (150HP) XLT Hi-rider 6AT gets 9.0 - 13.1KM/L

The minor change Triton Plus with 5AT should improve on these figures, but only marginally.

The minor change Triton Plus with 5AT should improve on these figures, but only marginally.

That's little surprising...thought,that 2.2L should place better,oh well,Mitsu should change their body style,than I cold consider them as well.Anyway,they should show the new Fords here on Saturday hopefully...BTW,I went back to Chevy dealer today(Grand Opening),they've build the stage and everything...but NO TRUCKS !!! The flooding is to blame,at least that what they've said...so,I took a the Cruze (diesel) for a test run...it was raining,so the automatic wipers are a great feature,but very sluggish and the kick-down delayed quite a bit(maybe the wet weather and the Traction Control had something to do with it??)...other than that,I could use it as a second car,if I had a place for it...well,1.165 000 Baht it's quite a bit,isn't it ??....:D

Hi OP,

would you consider buying a car a few KM out of CM? I am living in Lampang and there are all the main dealers, in fact, Toyota, Isuzu have two. There are less customers than in CM and so a better chance of getting something in stock? Make a day of it and visit the elephant centre on the way there :-)

cheers

James

That's little surprising...thought,that 2.2L should place better,oh well,Mitsu should change their body style,than I cold consider them as well.Anyway,they should show the new Fords here on Saturday hopefully...BTW,I went back to Chevy dealer today(Grand Opening),they've build the stage and everything...but NO TRUCKS !!! The flooding is to blame,at least that what they've said...so,I took a the Cruze (diesel) for a test run...it was raining,so the automatic wipers are a great feature,but very sluggish and the kick-down delayed quite a bit(maybe the wet weather and the Traction Control had something to do with it??)...other than that,I could use it as a second car,if I had a place for it...well,1.165 000 Baht it's quite a bit,isn't it ??....:D

If you look at specific power (HP per Litre) the Mitsu 4D56 2.5L VGS tops them all (the Ford 2.2L would make 170HP if it were a 2.5L, and the 3.2L would make 156HP as a 2.5L), so ithe Mitsu is simply a more effecient engine, and that shows through in the fuel effeciency numbers..

Engines, horsepower and fuel effeciency are only a part of the equation though, and I'd definitely still personally lean towards the 2.2L Ford based on it's size, in-cabin tech and overall design... But for others, the Triton's unique feature set (DVD touch screen and GPS) and attractive financing (0% with 40% down, and still <1% with 20% down) will still push the balance on their favor I guess..

The current model Cruze 2.0L diesel is a very old design,using a 2 generation old commonrail system and lacking a variable geometrey turbo, hence the acceleration lag. Unfortunately it appears the upgraded engine for the Cruze has been delayed or cancelled (the new version is a 2.2L which doesn't fit at all with Thai excise taxes), so the next best in that segment will likely be the new Focus TDI in early 2012.

For 1.1XX Million, you'd be buying a tax priveleged Pajero Sport though - well, I would anyway ;)

If you look at specific power (HP per Litre) the Mitsu 4D56 2.5L VGS tops them all (the Ford 2.2L would make 170HP if it were a 2.5L, and the 3.2L would make 156HP as a 2.5L), so ithe Mitsu is simply a more effecient engine, and that shows through in the fuel effeciency numbers..

Engines, horsepower and fuel effeciency are only a part of the equation though, and I'd definitely still personally lean towards the 2.2L Ford based on it's size, in-cabin tech and overall design... But for others, the Triton's unique feature set (DVD touch screen and GPS) and attractive financing (0% with 40% down, and still <1% with 20% down) will still push the balance on their favor I guess..

The current model Cruze 2.0L diesel is a very old design,using a 2 generation old commonrail system and lacking a variable geometrey turbo, hence the acceleration lag. Unfortunately it appears the upgraded engine for the Cruze has been delayed or cancelled (the new version is a 2.2L which doesn't fit at all with Thai excise taxes), so the next best in that segment will likely be the new Focus TDI in early 2012.

For 1.1XX Million, you'd be buying a tax priveleged Pajero Sport though - well, I would anyway ;)

Ohh yes,I totally agree with you on the Pajero v. Cruze...that test was just to fill some available time...

About Mitsu financing,I don't think they have this promotion anymore...with 40% down it is 1.65% interest over 48 months now(at least here in CM) and 25% down is 2.75% over 60 months...hopefuly the Ford will be at least a match...

...and thanks again,I'm new here in this forum and your comments are really helpful...

About Mitsu financing,I don't think they have this promotion anymore...with 40% down it is 1.65% interest over 48 months now(at least here in CM) and 25% down is 2.75% over 60 months...hopefuly the Ford will be at least a match...

...and thanks again,I'm new here in this forum and your comments are really helpful...

It was never a promotion, just what's always been negotiable.. However, I see that the "Infinite Luxury" PJS minor change has now officially launched, so they'll be going for top dollar for next 4-6 weeks.. par for course. The standard finance/deals should return by December.

Hi OP,

would you consider buying a car a few KM out of CM? I am living in Lampang and there are all the main dealers, in fact, Toyota, Isuzu have two. There are less customers than in CM and so a better chance of getting something in stock? Make a day of it and visit the elephant centre on the way there :-)

cheers

James

James,

Thanks for the tip. I am probably going to wait a month or so and try again when I can touch and drive the new models.

I don't know if I have the patience to waste another day at car dealers. I need to build up my patience quota, otherwise furniture might get rearranged.

Impatience and the passing of time itself is relative.

What is not, is moving on as a matter of course from a latest generation new release (Chevy, Isuzu), to a 6 year old design (Toyota). That doesn't make sense.