New Immigration Rules Effective July 2004

The new laws that are coming into effect are RACIST. One person who replied to the initial topic quite rightly pointed out that it will break up families. These new regulations are almost certain to backfire after they come into effect but because of the 'losing face' issue in Thailand I would say that it would be next to impossible to get them reversed.

Who the heck is responsible for thinking up these 'Keep Farangs Out' shemes? Thaksin? In the UK it is much easier for a foreigner to come and stay for a long time, even though many of them have no money and get social handouts every month. Not all, but many Western Farangs in Thailand contribute greatly to the Thai economy, but the Thai government are not likely to see how much money they will be losing until the laws do come into effect.

I myself have a Thai wife and child but will be forced to return to my mother country as soon as all of this craziness occurs.

My only last hope would be this: His Majesty the King is a kind, caring and compassionate man. If like myself you will find it extremely difficult to stay here after this July, write him a letter explaining your situation. Maybe he could and would intervene on your behalf. Other than this, it is the only thing that I can think of.

Best of luck to you all, who share my concerns.

Robert

The penny's dropped. We're screwed. Petitioning the King is just daft if you stop and think for a moment. The poor man's got enough on his plate without worrying about Westerners who want to stay in Thailand for ever. The party's over for all those who can't afford to pay the increased admission charges.I don't like it any more than you but whining about it on a web forum won't change a thing.

Whining about it on a web forum wont change a thing? What do you suggest then, everyone keeping quiet and letting them know that we're happy with it all?

I doubt that Thaksin or any Immigration official looks at thaivisa.com in his spare time, but this site is used by lots and lots of foreigners. It would help us all if we stuck together during events and crises that we didn't like. At the end of the day, we can all share our ideas and eventually something good may happen. The way to get what you want is to discuss things first, but nothing will be achieved by telling all of those Farang men with Thai wives and kids out there like myself,who have a possibility of being seperated, that they're whiners.

It is not the increased fees so much that concerns me anyway, it's all of the other <deleted>.

Robert

Good idea lets stick together but let's make it worth our time.

Pay where I am starts at the low end 240,000 baht a month.

No families allowed but in a few years you can save enough to stay in Thailand legally for years. Are you still with me. Since we all know it takes more of a man to sacrifice for his family than one who will just be satisfied with just getting by.

I would suggest we all do what is best for our families and give them the best we can to a reasonable level of living standards even if this means we take them to our country where work and living standards are a bit higher than Thailand. After all it is the family we are really worried about right.

Are we still worried about the family or are we worried about ourselves staying in Thailand? Let us men or mice know what we should do, no letter to the king required from my point of view.

I would suggest that the foriegners in LOS who actually have the influence and business/political contacts to address this issue to the appropriate partys, most likely are unnaffected by the Visa changes anyway.Ergo, it is these types that Thai Ruk Thai welcome in LOS.It seems as if the rest are being thrown out with the proverbial laundry.

PvtDick Posted: Fri 2004-01-09, 08:48:51  

Advanced Member

Group: Members

Member No.: 4,599

What exactly are the changes coming up in July 2004 that everyone is so concerned about? 

I wish someone would answer PvtDick's question. I have a business here and as far as I can figure out, I just have to pay a little more money and everything should be A OK (Business as usual. T.I.T). Why does everyone seem so dire? :o

what if we could put 400,000 bth in bank acct?

What for ? He is staying in the Netherlands to begin and complete a degree. It is years away. Unless he plans to marry you now, and study in Thailand, there's no point. You'd have to be married to get that extended visa.

Advanced Member

What exactly are the changes coming up in July 2004 that everyone is so concerned about? 

I wish someone would answer PvtDick's question. I have a business here and as far as I can figure out, I just have to pay a little more money and everything should be A OK (Bisiness as usual. T.I.T). Why does everyone seem so dire? :D

We understand that the changes only relate to the money/ income required for retirement or marriage. It is set to double, but we believe those already in will be grandfathered ( no guarantees T i T :o )

Since we all know it takes more of a man to sacrifice for his family than one who will just be satisfied with just getting by.

I would suggest we all do what is best for our families and give them the best we can to a reasonable level of living standards even if this means we take them to our country where work and living standards are a bit higher than Thailand. After all it is the family we are really worried about right.

Are we still worried about the family or are we worried about ourselves staying in Thailand? Let us men or mice know what we should do, no letter to the king required from my point of view.

Nice idea, but you write as if getting a visa for your thai wife to go live in your country is as simple as buying a plane ticket. I know guys who have been trying for over a year without success...

Advanced Member

I wish someone would answer PvtDick's question. I have a business here and as far as I can figure out, I just have to pay a little more money and everything should be A OK (Bisiness as usual. T.I.T). Why does everyone seem so dire? :D

We understand that the changes only relate to the money/ income required for retirement or marriage. It is set to double, but we believe those already in will be grandfathered ( no guarantees T i T :o )

AND there will either be a limit on the number of consecutive 30 day stamps or 30 day people will be told to go get a real visa. Right? IF NOT, YOU WILL BE IN A G-STRING. :D

In the UK it is much easier for a foreigner to come and stay for a long time, even though many of them have no money and get social handouts every month.

Robert,

I highly recommend you pretend that you aren't a UK or EU citizen for a moment. Maybe pretend you were a Thai citizen for instance trying to move to the UK, without being married to an EU citizen.

Now jump on the web and look at UK immigration rules at the Home Office website, http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/

I am sure you will see that in actual fact, it is bloody difficult for foreigners to come and settle and work in the UK. British immigration authorities are very very selctive, ensuring that those who go live in the UK are tertiary educated, well paid and have at least 5 years of professional work experience.

I should know as I just have just applied to move to the UK. It has taken me the best part of 2003 to get the paperwork together. It has been neither straightforward or easy.

Have people forgotten that this is Thailand and as yet no official announcements regarding rumoured changes for next July have been made. It's all hearsay and out of control rumour which is running the show at the moment as far as I can see.

Doc, I suppose I was just wondering why all these farang are getting so nervous about changes which have yet to be officially announced. .....unless I've missed something in which case I'd appreciate it if someone could fill me in on what changes are really and truly going to come into force next July. Not rumours of doubled funds required in bank accounts and suchlike but comfirmed changes.

unless I've missed something in which case I'd appreciate it if someone could fill me in on what changes are really and truly going to come into force next July.
if you ask a few officers, at the BKK Immigration they will tell you the bank balance requirement for one year visa extensions will increase only for new applicants. the visa/extension fees have already increased.
It's all hearsay and out of control rumour which is running the show at the moment as far as I can see.

go down to immigration and check

In the UK it is much easier for a foreigner to come and stay for a long time, even though many of them have no money and get social handouts every month.

Robert,

I highly recommend you pretend that you aren't a UK or EU citizen for a moment. Maybe pretend you were a Thai citizen for instance trying to move to the UK, without being married to an EU citizen.

Now jump on the web and look at UK immigration rules at the Home Office website, http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/

I am sure you will see that in actual fact, it is bloody difficult for foreigners to come and settle and work in the UK. British immigration authorities are very very selctive, ensuring that those who go live in the UK are tertiary educated, well paid and have at least 5 years of professional work experience.

I should know as I just have just applied to move to the UK. It has taken me the best part of 2003 to get the paperwork together. It has been neither straightforward or easy.

I think what he might be applying is the number of asylum seekers that are still pouring in to the UK,and the government seems unable or unwilling to stop them.

As far as I'm concerned I think that it won't be impossible to get more than 2 (or 3) consecutive 30 day stamps.

They've already started to apply this rule at the Mae Sai border point.

"Walkers" wishing to get a 3rd stamp must write a letter to the immigration's super-intendant explaining why they want to stay for another 30 days.

Most of the applicants don't obtain it. For some reasons, they don't qualify.

As far as I'm concerned I think that it won't be impossible to get more than 2 (or 3) consecutive 30 day stamps.

They've already started to apply this rule at the Mae Sai border point.

"Walkers" wishing to get a 3rd stamp must write a letter to the immigration's super-intendant explaining why they want to stay for another 30 days.

Most of the applicants don't obtain it. For some reasons, they don't qualify.

I've got a friend who just returned from his 7th 30 day stamp in a row from Mae Sai without incident. Is this more speculation and rumour?