Nervous, Because Lack Of Flooding Information

robblok

I am in a village near Bangyai, others on this forum who are there might already have been flooded. We are still dry but the water in front of the road is getting higher and higher. Its slowly creaping up.

The thing is we are constantly told not to worry, but nobody can say what will happen in the next few days. There are no predictions of what will flood first. I have moved all the stuff to the second floor, there are still some basics on the ground floor.

My biggest complaint is that there is no good information network or knowledge what area's will be flooded first. As sai noi and bang bua thong are flooded i wonder if the water will reach here or go to other maybe lower area's first. But nobody seems to know.

I expected that in the next couple of days it will be at its height but nobody knows that for sure because its not known what is coming down from the other provinces.

Just my rant of the day

Understand exactly what you mean Rob, there's a pinned thread in General which may be of use

Crossy, i posted there too. Just strange that there is so much news but no news about flow rates or river heights of the chao praya and predictions about that.

I would suspect they have water monitoring stations allover the river. If you know what is coming further up you have an idea if its easing or going to be worse (breaking of dams excluded)

Rob, I just came back from a bike ride to have a look around.

Most of the canals are now really reaching street level. At some strategic area (ie Wat La Pla Duk on the way to Nonthaburi immigration) they installed quantity of pumps who are rejecting water in the rice fields who are at lower level. In many housing estates they are continuing to pile sandbags. In the center, close to St-Peter school some shophouse owners are even building temporary walls in front of their entrance.

It didn't make to Big C (ex Carrefour) because one hour ago traffic was still a nightmare.

En route, I asked several locales same question to yours... but no one had either a clue or even a -sort of- answer. unsure.gif

Edited by lazygourmet

Rob, I just came back from a bike ride to have a look around.

Most of the canals are now really reaching street level. At some strategic area (ie Wat La Pla Duk on the way to Nonthaburi immigration) they installed quantity of pumps who are rejecting water in the rice fields who are at lower level. In many housing estates they are continuing to pile sandbags. In the center, close to St-Peter school some shophouse owners are even building temporary walls in front of their entrance.

It didn't make to Big C (ex Carrefour) because one hour ago traffic was still a nightmare.

En route, I asked several locales same question to yours... but no one had either a clue or even a -sort of- answer. unsure.gif

I am calmed down a bit already, its just stressing seeing water higher and higher. Anyway just the total lack of communication of the government is crazy. The gf is in the carefour at the moment. Getting some last minute supplies. (i cant go out she is just coming back from staying with a friend). So far no real problems except that the water is getting higher and higher.

I just would like to know if the runoff is reaching us or not. Or if there is still a wave to come. I mean is it that hard to make a map of the river and showing increased levels because of the runoff.

Similar here, a bit better than your case. We may or may not expect water from the Klong.

Nobody knows anything....

Wait and see.....I would rater prefer one real problem instead of days of waiting. I think 10 times per night we have a look outside if the water is coming or not.

Similar here, a bit better than your case. We may or may not expect water from the Klong.

Wait and see.....I would rater prefer one real problem instead of days of waiting. I think 10 times per night we have a look outside if the water is coming or not.

Just went to help the villagers to put sand in bags and move bags, at least i did something. Paid more as my fair share for the sand bags too. So the village is a bit better protected.

Its just the lack of information about the state of the river that annoys me. They could at least say how high it is and what is expected.

I'm beginning to think that after all the cock ups they have gone silent in a way now being gun shy so as not to make anymore of those.. Here in Don Muang I'm getting bit worried too as the klong along Srong ba pa rd has been flowing along and down fairly low with no locals really seemingly concerned.

The last couple of days though it has been static with no flow still down but today it seemed to have some back flow which means something open up stream but not downstream with an intent to fill it up, though I admit it could take on a fair bit more water safely before needing to open it up again..

Having said that earlier on when they had a clear indication of the water volume, they should have closed the gates and allowed it to completely drain dry and along with the surrounding klongs which would have happened in probably less then 12 hours and then opened them back up, it would have provided much better relief that way.. Draining plus pumping would be the way to go.

I forgot to mention that locals have now begun to build or stock up on sand bags and building temporary walls both in our neighborhood and along the main rd. but I honestly don't think/hope we're going to get that amount of water in our community, because we haven't been able to locate sand bags :( ..

Edited by WarpSpeed

I was living in Bang Phlat ( Thonburi) ,in 1995 , we were flooded for 4 months. Stop whinging ,learn to live with it, as we had to do. We were knee deep , in our Soi, had to walk 3 kilometres to a main road to catch a bus, water much to deep for our motor- bike taxis. To take my children to school and for me to go to work. We survived . Albeit ,it got a bit boring trudging through all the used condoms, dead rats,dead cockroaches, dead snakes.lots of shit ,from all the septic tanks that overflowed. Don't be a wuss.

I was living in Bang Phlat ( Thonburi) ,in 1995 , we were flooded for 4 months. Stop whinging ,learn to live with it, as we had to do. We were knee deep , in our Soi, had to walk 3 kilometres to a main road to catch a bus, water much to deep for our motor- bike taxis. To take my children to school and for me to go to work. We survived . Albeit ,it got a bit boring trudging through all the used condoms, dead rats,dead cockroaches, dead snakes.lots of shit ,from all the septic tanks that overflowed. Don't be a wuss.

It is not the flooding that i worry about its the uncertainty. If its flooded i live with that. Now you don't know what is coming you cant plan a thing. I need to keep working now or loose clients.

I lived in a paperbag in the middle of the road, in the middle of a drought, all my family suffered, we were happy to eat the dead rats and cockroaches.....only 3 kilometres - on a road, we had to crawl over 30 kilometres over broken glass...didn't have much use for the used condoms though. Whose a wuss now?

3 months, and you did not invest in some kind of inflatable to get to the end of your Soi (come canal!)? Your actions explain why you would place this kind of post on here. Your post is of historic nature, you should have taken photos and it would have made a great story.. but real people are facing real situations right now..

I am coming to Thailand in 3 weeks, and cannot plan ANYTHING, because the government is giving very little information, and what they are providing is proving to be flawed (e.g. nava nakorn WILL NOT FLOOD)..

NO information on which roads.highways are out of use.

NO information on which cities are flooded, other than the occasional article on a few of the cities/provinces.

NO information on predictions including maps (Google Maps is an AWESOME tool when used properly to move masses and make them aware!)

NO information on train schedules, and what is and is not working.

NO information on industry for investors.. I personally am not, but I can imagine this kind of incompetency is discouraging a lot of people

The government is only filling the minds of the many with a few words of hearsay, without demonstrating proof of what they are stating.. and now they are asking for help from the Farang countries that they just finished slagging off in a big way, just a few months ago.. you have to be friendly with someone BEFORE you need there help in the normal world Yingluck Shinawatra. Perhaps your brother can bottle the water and sell it in Cambodia on the streets of Phnom Penh?

Just went to help the villagers to put sand in bags and move bags, at least i did something. Paid more as my fair share for the sand bags too. So the village is a bit better protected.

Its just the lack of information about the state of the river that annoys me. They could at least say how high it is and what is expected.

There is a rather large amount of info on the river and dam levels as well as the diversion flow rates both east and west of Bangkok.

Google is your buddy, but try these urls to get you started:

http://www.thaihydra.org/index.php/water-situation/2010-07-18-04-21-08/2010-07-18-04-42-51.html

http://www.arcims.tmd.go.th/DailyDATA/

http://flood.gistda.or.th/

http://water.rid.go.th/flood/plan_ew/plan_ew.html

(above link to water flow rates for entire flood area)

http://www.hydro-5.com/HD-06/6-PRAKAS.htm

(above link to water flow rates for Chao Praya and water levels at various locations along the river)

http://www.navy.mi.th/hydro/Chaophraya/OBSHD_SEP54_htm.htm

(above link to Thai Navy site for tides) (note- I.E. mandatory for this site, links don't work with firefox)

http://www.navy.mi.th/hydro/Chaophraya/rtnhq.htm

(above link to Thai Navy site that plots Chaophraya level against tide levels)

Note- above url needs I.E. to function, links don't work in firefox also,

the last url has river levels from 2 locations on 2 separate graphs.

There are tons more sites but my Thai is not good enough to make any sense from them.

When using Google, search in Thai language and not English and you'll see that

the amount of info is really quite amazing.

There is a rather large amount of info on the river and dam levels as well as the diversion flow rates both east and west of Bangkok.

Google is your buddy, but try these urls to get you started:

http://www.thaihydra.org/index.php/water-situation/2010-07-18-04-21-08/2010-07-18-04-42-51.html

http://www.arcims.tmd.go.th/DailyDATA/

http://flood.gistda.or.th/

http://water.rid.go.th/flood/plan_ew/plan_ew.html

(above link to water flow rates for entire flood area)

http://www.hydro-5.com/HD-06/6-PRAKAS.htm

(above link to water flow rates for Chao Praya and water levels at various locations along the river)

http://www.navy.mi.th/hydro/Chaophraya/OBSHD_SEP54_htm.htm

(above link to Thai Navy site for tides) (note- I.E. mandatory for this site, links don't work with firefox)

http://www.navy.mi.th/hydro/Chaophraya/rtnhq.htm

(above link to Thai Navy site that plots Chaophraya level against tide levels)

Note- above url needs I.E. to function, links don't work in firefox also,

the last url has river levels from 2 locations on 2 separate graphs.

There are tons more sites but my Thai is not good enough to make any sense from them.

When using Google, search in Thai language and not English and you'll see that

the amount of info is really quite amazing.

Thanks will let someone better at Thai then me look at it. Its amazing that they claim the worst to be over while water here is still rising and getting worse.

Thanks will let someone better at Thai then me look at it. Its amazing that they claim the worst to be over while water here is still rising and getting worse.

In our village they took the measure to open up all waterways and moats well before this year began, I don't think for one moment it was because they knew anything about the coming years.

Years ago our old house collapsed at the back end, so to cut a long story we rebuilt it with ground fill 2M higher.

I sympathize with you but I sure you have lived here long enough to know you can only monitor the situation yourself and go by your own nose as for what's instore.

IMO as I have seen it over the years the flowing rainfall from north is restricted, when heading south and ends up flooding areas so that any flooding in Bangkok can be kept to a minimum.

Edited by Kwasaki

In our village they took the measure to open up all waterways and moats well before this year began, I don't think for one moment it was because they knew anything about the coming years.

Years ago our old house collapsed at the back end, so to cut a long story we rebuilt it with ground fill 2M higher.

I sympathize with you but I sure you have lived here long enough to know you can only monitor the situation yourself and go by your own nose as for what's instore.

IMO as I have seen it over the years the flowing rainfall from north is restricted, when heading south and ends up flooding areas so that any flooding in Bangkok can be kept to a minimum.

im my 6 years here i have never seen it flood here.. Most neighbours think it wont flood. But the road is flooded and the village is sandbagged as the water of the road reaches it.

im my 6 years here i have never seen it flood here.. Most neighbours think it wont flood. But the road is flooded and the village is sandbagged as the water of the road reaches it.

Yes I understand, our problem before was just rain build up in low areas, our village is high up so to speak, we have had no flooding what so ever this year, only in areas where rainfull has collected and where it takes a while to drain away.

Hope things work out OK for you, Regards K.

As we all know now the government has lied and tried to hide the disaster at the expense of its inhabitants. If i had known what was coming i could have made more preparations.

I don't blame the government for the flood, i blame them for the lying and the misinformation.

People could have been much better prepared if they had been told what was coming. If you look at satellite pics it is quite clear. I cant understand how the government could not know. With a few planes and monitoring the situation they must have seen the water slowly moving towards BKK.

They were incompetent and stupid. That is what you get from cronyism.

Read again I don't blame the government for the flooding so don't say there is nothing they could have done.