Over The Side Filter/Pump/Light/Steps Combination

simon43

I was considering building a small swimming pool that uses an 'over the side' filter/pump/light/steps unit, as opposed to building a pump room with pipework etc.

I think Desjoyeaux use this type of unit.

Can someone more competent that me comment on the pros and cons of these types of unit, and suggest a supplier in Phuket or Bangkok?

I'm not interested in buying a complete pool and over the side unit. I only want the over the side unit, not the pool.

Thanks

Simon

From someone with more then 25 years in the business they scare the bejesus out of me, I wouldn't trust it in the western world to be safe having seen nearly EVERY possible shorting scenario and understanding the internals of pumps and motors the way I do and the failures that happen but here not a chance especially in a resort pool considering the liability..

@Warpspeed - so I assume you condemn anyone who installs a Desjoyeaux pool, since that respected manufacturer of pools uses an over-the-side product?

Simon

Condemn them? No, that wording is a bit strong. I'm fully aware of the product and the copy product of JD I'm intentionally speaking in code a bit here and no I'd not ever use one nor wish to swim in a pool with one at least not with power to it.. They may be acceptable in some other countries with stricter protections but not here with the lax (read seemingly non existent)codes, regulations and liability..

That's my professional opinion and from there you make your own decision in light of your circumstances..

Edited by WarpSpeed

Well I would!!!! I had a Desjoyeaux pool at my Villa in France and the whole thing was a poor quality rip off. Here their prices are even more outragous, why would you want to do that? I didn't have any electrical problems, but spent most of my time cleaning the pool, as the water circulation was so poor.

How are you building the pool, what size and why not install a couple of pieces of PVC and use a standard pump and cartridge filter? Save your money and buy a roof for the pool.

@Warpspeed - so I assume you condemn anyone who installs a Desjoyeaux pool, since that respected manufacturer of pools uses an over-the-side product?

Simon

Condemn them? No, that wording is a bit strong. I'm fully aware of the product and the copy product of JD I'm intentionally speaking in code a bit here and no I'd not ever use one nor wish to swim in a pool with one at least not with power to it.. They may be acceptable in some other countries with stricter protections but not here with the lax (read seemingly non existent)codes, regulations and liability..

That's my professional opinion and from there you make your own decision in light of your circumstances..

I am a professional in this are as well and I fully agree with WarpSpeed!!!

Don't like em at all and wouldn't think about using or swimming in a pool with one.

Plus they look Sh*t house!!

Simon

I am a professional in this are as well and I fully agree with WarpSpeed!!!

Don't like em at all and wouldn't think about using or swimming in a pool with one.

Plus they look Sh*t house!!

+1

• 2 weeks later...

If you use any electrical equipment in relation to swimming pools electrical safety comes first.

1. All reinforcing used in its construction to be equipotentially bonded to the main earth.

2. All electrical equipment to be protected by 10mA RCDs All electrical equipment to be earthed.

3. All in-pool lighting to be ELV.

I'd also to include service history. These systems have specific seals and processes to properly service them and without proper service they are no longer safe. The corner cutting commonly done here by the average tech over the life of the unit would make me cringe once it was serviced for any reason especially if the pool is salt..