Rv, Call Me Crazy

kanomk2

http://chiangmaioffroad.multiply.com/

20039633.jpg

Not sure how successful they were? What about taking a aluminum cargo topper with standing headroom, and converting it's interior to a nice livable space? Refrigeration, airflow, washing faculties, storage plus a comfy bed (forget inside cooking) all well keeping the outside looking like it blends right in. Heck, throw some large health drink decal all over the exterior...

And DB, if you keep looking in the right places, for RV, you'll be surprised just how good/better of deals are out there with the current economy. The California market right now for luxury vehicles blows me away.

- continued hijack of the thread as we havent' seen pictures yet. Or better ideas of the OP's preferences for RVing requirements. Heck, can't think of any back road (Thai back roads which are mostly hardtop) between Samoeng and the Mae Hong Song route where you wouldn't find a nice private pullout along side a river.

Yes, I am exploring the CA, AZ and NV markets due to their depressed economies...... :unsure:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All this RV talk is making me want one even more than I have for the last several years here. I wonder what shipping and customs/duties would run on shipping a 2nd hand one from the US ?? A cab over type that fits on a truck that you could buy here in LOS??

I've checked prices in the US on line and see decent models ranging from less than $10K to $25K

Anyone have any ideas how much $$ to get one over here?? I think one would just fit in an 8x8ft container.

The cost for shipping from the USA depends on east or west coast. If from Calf for a 20' it would be around $3000 USD.

import costs Don't know, depends how the categorize it. One thing, for the one that goes on the back of a truck, don't think they make them for small trucks like what is sold here in Thailand I think they only make them for full size pickups so that might be a problem. If you get a real RV (motorhome) I think the import tax will be the same as for a car so the tax could be very high as one of the criteria for determining the tax is the engine size and i believe all the RV have at least an 8 cylinder. It would be nice to have one but just not sure it's feasible, might be allot cheaper to buy an old VIP bus and remodel it.

This was my thinking some years ago.. RV conversions, seems like a pretty good interest for a start up based on this threads response could easily do custom jobs with deposits down.. Anyone seriously interested??

I have looked at the 'Carryboy' model that is made here and altho it looks nice and complete......it's quite costly here....forget how much, but lots of THB.

And what I want would be the camper only.....the truck can be driven out from under it and it could be left stored at home or at your favorite camping spot. Some come equiped with hydraulic or screw jacks for that purpose and to level the unit....and if it doesn't have jacks, they are an easy add on. As far as fitting on a Thai truck....there are many creative welders that could easily modify truck or camper to fit.

Yep or just pull the smaller bed off entirely when using the camper top..

20039633.jpg

Not sure how successful they were? What about taking a aluminum cargo topper with standing headroom, and converting it's interior to a nice livable space? Refrigeration, airflow, washing faculties, storage plus a comfy bed (forget inside cooking) all well keeping the outside looking like it blends right in. Heck, throw some large health drink decal all over the exterior...

And DB, if you keep looking in the right places, for RV, you'll be surprised just how good/better of deals are out there with the current economy. The California market right now for luxury vehicles blows me away.

- continued hijack of the thread as we havent' seen pictures yet. Or better ideas of the OP's preferences for RVing requirements. Heck, can't think of any back road (Thai back roads which are mostly hardtop) between Samoeng and the Mae Hong Song route where you wouldn't find a nice private pullout along side a river.

Fishenough, it looks as if we both posted at the same time, but here is the link for the carryboy....maybe someone can confirm the price....not cheap

http://www.carryboycaravan.com/motorhome.php

And re: converting an aluminum cargo van, I've thought of going that route, but would need to source out necessary items like camper toilet, LPG fridge, etc. Could even convert an old bus, but where to get the parts??

See this is what I'm talking about this is a peripheral business in and of itself that would be spawned off the original..

20039633.jpg

Yes, I am exploring the CA, AZ and NV markets due to their depressed economies...... :unsure:

I know it adds to the shipping but think about the southeast too especially Florida with the large retirement community lots of reasonable buys there and auctions that might make the added shipping worth while..

When I first came here I looked into the bus conversion route also.

Biggest stumbling block I found was that I can not get a license to drive it in Thailand.

As far as I've understood an ordinary license for car does not cover cars or vehicles with more than 4 wheels, regardless of size/weight.

Meaning you cannot legally drive a RV with tween wheels in the rear.

I am interested in a "truck" license myself (for totally different reasons than RVs) and I did some thorough checking in 3-4 provinces

in July and August.

The initial reaction when I enquired was that "farang can not get, against Thai law".

When I digged a bit deeper and with higher placed employees it surfaced that there is no primary or secondary legislation preventing

the issuance of a truck license to non-Thais.

However, I was informed that it would be necessary to speak/read/write Thai. I would have to pass some tests, without the assistance of

an interpreter.

After that I would have to perform acceptable during a test drive.

Ahhh, also; I would have to show my yellow book.

This information was fairly consistent from several offices. Checked in Chonburi, Udon Thani, Ranong and Rayong.

I had never considered Japan as a source for RV's and a quick google revealed that there is a small [quality] rv market there and with all the Japan surplus importing of vehicles, motorcycles, parts etc at low import duties......maybe an importer could source out an RV [cab only] and import it in parts as is often done with motorcycles etc and reassemble it here on a local Thai truck chassis??

Advantages....the system [and contacts] is already in place, Japan is closer and cheaper shipping costs, and low or no customs/duties for salvage parts.

But, who to contact?? I do remember seeing Japan motorcycle and farm tractor magazines in some shops where you could order thru fotos and prices [and quality] on Japan surplus items were quite good.

Another advantage of Japan surplus vehicles is that it is all right hand drive.

I had never considered Japan as a source for RV's and a quick google revealed that there is a small [quality] rv market there and with all the Japan surplus importing of vehicles, motorcycles, parts etc at low import duties......maybe an importer could source out an RV [cab only] and import it in parts as is often done with motorcycles etc and reassemble it here on a local Thai truck chassis??

Advantages....the system [and contacts] is already in place, Japan is closer and cheaper shipping costs, and low or no customs/duties for salvage parts.

But, who to contact?? I do remember seeing Japan motorcycle and farm tractor magazines in some shops where you could order thru fotos and prices [and quality] on Japan surplus items were quite good.

Another advantage of Japan surplus vehicles is that it is all right hand drive.

Been buying cars from Japan for 14 years, it's a lot of fun. Most are sold through auctions, though the odd exporter will buy stock for specific export market demands. Try Provide cars, not only are they good to deal with they'll allow a 14 day trial of full auction browsing.

Now when I think of an RV and roughing it I think this would suit me just fine..... :rolleyes:

Nice to live in, Bob, but can you imagine trying to get it somewhere on the back roads in Thailand?

You don't drive it on those backroads, if the Thai's can drive tour buses the same size or larger then you can drive one of those to most destinations and tow along a car or truck, park the RV overlooking some nice rive spot, unhook the car/truck and go do your backroad or in town excursions..

I saw the market for this years ago unfortunately I couldn't find anyone else who had the sense and vision to see the opportunity so I shelved it unable to do it exclusively on my own.. One poster said he didn't think it would fly because no camps? That's really putting the cart before the horse as no one will put up a camp and sit there for eternity without RV's to camp in them. There is a huge market for both though, why not be a pioneer and do both RV's and parks it'd be far cheaper to make an RV/camping park then a resort..

Exactly what the world needs - more gas guzzling RV's. I guess you are one of the global warming deniers. Or at the least, you have decided global warming is not being exacerbated by human activity.

One reason why one should not automatically consider buying a car when arriving in Thailand; the infrastructure hasn't been developed for a growing car population, nor should Thais waste their money on building up such infrastructure. They'd have to rip out most of Chiang Mai to reconfigure streets to create a more 'car friendly' experience.

Just an example of the farang bringing their lifestyles to their adopted home; rather than fitting in, they want to change their new home into the home they moved away from - for whatever reason.

Nice looking unit dave2.....I tried calling the BKK number on the side of the rv, and am waiting for a return call from them.

where did you take those shots??

Also, fishenough.....thanks for that leed. I googled the company and trying to get thru their maize of a website to actually view some RVs and having some difficulty.....can you elaborate on the procedure to view?? and do they act as brokers/importers and get the vehicle landed in LOS??

And qdinthailand....I'll disregard your newbie comments.

Nice looking unit dave2.....I tried calling the BKK number on the side of the rv, and am waiting for a return call from them.

Also, fishenough.....thanks for that leed. I googled the company and trying to get thru their maize of a website to actually view some RVs and having some difficulty.....can you elaborate on the procedure to view?? and do they act as brokers/importers and get the vehicle landed in LOS??

And qdinthailand....I'll disregard your newbie comments.

Um, the procedures of the different Japanese auction sites are difficult at times with there ever changing links in the funnest places. Best bet is to browse the current auctions by model, with photos, and knowing the RV models name helps. There a lot to wade through. Also by searching Japanese auction sites, you will find ones the offer more access to specialty vehicles like; RV's, motorbikes, commercial trucks and boats.

I've only imported vehicles to Canada, and wouldn't attempt doing so here until I made the right contacts with people in Thai customs.

IMG_9902.JPG

Edited by Fishenough

Now when I think of an RV and roughing it I think this would suit me just fine..... :rolleyes:

Nice to live in, Bob, but can you imagine trying to get it somewhere on the back roads in Thailand?

You don't drive it on those backroads, if the Thai's can drive tour buses the same size or larger then you can drive one of those to most destinations and tow along a car or truck, park the RV overlooking some nice rive spot, unhook the car/truck and go do your backroad or in town excursions..

I saw the market for this years ago unfortunately I couldn't find anyone else who had the sense and vision to see the opportunity so I shelved it unable to do it exclusively on my own.. One poster said he didn't think it would fly because no camps? That's really putting the cart before the horse as no one will put up a camp and sit there for eternity without RV's to camp in them. There is a huge market for both though, why not be a pioneer and do both RV's and parks it'd be far cheaper to make an RV/camping park then a resort..

Exactly what the world needs - more gas guzzling RV's. I guess you are one of the global warming deniers. Or at the least, you have decided global warming is not being exacerbated by human activity.

One reason why one should not automatically consider buying a car when arriving in Thailand; the infrastructure hasn't been developed for a growing car population, nor should Thais waste their money on building up such infrastructure. They'd have to rip out most of Chiang Mai to reconfigure streets to create a more 'car friendly' experience.

Just an example of the farang bringing their lifestyles to their adopted home; rather than fitting in, they want to change their new home into the home they moved away from - for whatever reason.

Nope I'm one of the "live life and enjoy it while I can" people.. Thanks for playing though and adding such an informative post to the thread, we couldn't do without.. Not sure how much more energy an RV uses over a car it would take to get there and a hotel room though but I bet it's pretty much a wash on savings and not worth the effort of losing out the opportunity to experience mother nature comfortably from your window..

Oh and incidentally RV's that size are diesel pushers not gas guzzlers, I know it's a small detail but if your going to rant against someone you should at least have your facts straight :rolleyes: .. Cars,, now they use gasoline so driving one of those to all your destinations would definately be gas guzzling :whistling: ..

Another reality about most RVs is that they either sit at home or are parked by a stream and are mostly only driven to get to the destination. If the guy wants to rant at 'gas guzzling RVs', he should just look at all the real poluters crowding the hiways commuting to work, school, shopping etc.

Another reality about most RVs is that they either sit at home or are parked by a stream and are mostly only driven to get to the destination. If the guy wants to rant at 'gas guzzling RVs', he should just look at all the real poluters crowding the hiways commuting to work, school, shopping etc.

Yep I don't know too many campers who aren't appreciative of their surroundings and environmentally conscious these days..

Anyway here's one for ya check this out.Warning though it may be considered fuuuuuuugly by some with taste..

$3 million camper

mm-630-elemment-palazzo-04.jpg

http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/g1RCYbNnyyougXCZup0JtQ--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7cT04NTt3PTYzMA--/http://media.zenfs.com/en/blogs/technews/mm-630-elemment-palazzo-02.jpg

mm-630-elemment-palazzo-03.jpg

Great! What happened? :(

Edited by WarpSpeed

re .. Nice looking unit dave2.....I tried calling the BKK number on the side of the rv, and am waiting for a return call from them.

one is from outside a travel shop on the inner north moat and the others from the car park of the place that has

rooms on stilts next to the park opposite suan prung hospital.

heres a few shots of some world travelers who have come to chiang mai in the last few years .. enjoy

dave2

post-42592-0-57349200-1319042024_thumb.j

post-42592-0-92192200-1319042052_thumb.j

post-42592-0-32963500-1319042060_thumb.j

post-42592-0-39288500-1319042067_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

The one I have is a Vega model based on an Isuzu 6 wheel truck base. Vega is a model built in Chonburi by Siam Motors. Vantech is the Japanize ' partners'. Don't know the connection but I think they are shareholders. As far as I know, there are around 11 in Thailand, mostly used by film sets. It is an export product generally. They are expensive at around 3.7mTHB, new.Can't wait to get out and about soon.....

Posted before I read the replies. Sorry. It is 6 berth, although would suit 2 better. The other is a drop down from the roof and two are seating area conversions to bed. It has a shower and toilet with a sink and microwave and hot plate. An inverter generator supplies power when engine or household hook up not connected. I want to fit solar but need to study that a bit.I will try to upload pics when I figure out how to do.I am interested in Permaculture farming so plan a trip around farms to gather information, so, if anyone knows of any, would appreciate contacts. I did see some positive replies for places to stay and will answer them PM later.

Thanks to you all.

• 2 months later...

At long last, here is my RV. Had an initial tour to Chanthaburi and Koh Chang. Great time. Plan to be going to Issan next month. Looking for a supplier of solar panels should anyone knwo, would appreciate the information.

post-98811-0-53971400-1326966073_thumb.j

post-98811-0-10569400-1326966082_thumb.j

post-98811-0-71448000-1326966125_thumb.j

post-98811-0-44579700-1326966302_thumb.j

• Like 2

That's awesome!! Thank you for reporting back. It looks great!

We can now officially call you crazy. smile.png But the right kind of crazy!

How much did this set you back? Is it a completely new vehicle? How many wheels on it, it looks like 6 wheels.. If so, does that make it illegal to take into cities during the day?

This may also be good to link in (or to) the motoring sub forum.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

At long last, here is my RV. Had an initial tour to Chanthaburi and Koh Chang. Great time. Plan to be going to Issan next month. Looking for a supplier of solar panels should anyone knwo, would appreciate the information.

Wow, nice rig Kanomk....thanks for posting pics and reviving this post. I hope that you keep us informed about your travels from time to time. A trip report for us wannabees that are stuck on the ground.

I've still got 'RV fever' and have a looking for ad on Craigslist and so far no bites and keep checking the various free ad venues with no luck.

I have almost resigned myself to building one myself using one of the common cargo trucks as a base and customise the interior, but the biggest obsticle seems to be sourcing things like the compact toilet/shower, smaller sized sink and of course a 3 way refrigerator.....all hard to find here.

A couple of comments and questions on your experiences......

1] What kind of places have you been staying?? resorts, campgrounds in parks or private residences that let you park and hook-up??

2] any problems with the cops on the road??

3] and, as cool as your rig looks and with the weather cool, how will you cool it in the summer heat??

4] It looks like the cab over space is not high enough for a bed......another foot or so would make it sleepable and ad space. Maybe you could modify it so that it could raise up when parked??

5] Solar panels.....I've seen them up here in CM at a couple of electrical stores and there is a shop that specializes in them out near Global hardware.....they are around.... contact me if you get up north.

6] and if you ever consider selling your rig, please PM me, as I am extremely interested.

Again....keep us informed and have a safe trip!!