Dan Wheldon Indy 500 Champ Dies In Fiery Crash

WarpSpeed

I hope this can stay up for people to share in spite of it not being Thai related. Some have said that Indy car racing isn't so difficult or dangerous but the truth is much different.

There hasn't been a racing tragedy of any magnitude in some time fortunately, especially in the Indy car championship and it's quite tragic to see any driver perish but especially one so young and talented, RIP Dan :( ..

Dan Wheldon RIP

Edited by WarpSpeed

Yes I agree, I thought so to, and I hope the thread continues to be as was intended without any need for some sort of school yard chest pounding...

The thread is in honor of a talented RACE car driver... His race, color or creed has no bearing....

Edited by WarpSpeed

Dan's father Clive a competent Karter started him at the age of four running a modified Sprint kart running direct drive 100cc engine this at a time when the minimum age was about 10 - 12 and most non race weekends he would be pounding around Rye House Kartway ,in 1987 when the starting age was reduced to 8 driving 60cc clutch karts he already had about four years experience handling machines with three times the power and was an immediate star continueing that winning streak up until he left for cars and greater things . His personality and enthusiasm was the same at the time of his death as it had been in the previous 20+ years. youtube has clip of him under championnat d' europe karting 1995 mariembourg

14m36s

RIP

Edited by kartman

just saw the video : horrific

Yeah it really looked as if a bomb went off and he comes in at seemingly full throttle and just launches over and then disappears into the carnage :o .. Very shocking especially given on any other day, in any other race, he'd probably never even been back there unless he was lapping other drivers :( .. Events like that really makes one think about fate sometimes.

Dan's father Clive a competent Karter started him at the age of four running a modified Sprint kart running direct drive 100cc engine this at a time when the minimum age was about 10 - 12 and most non race weekends he would be pounding around Rye House Kartway ,in 1987 when the starting age was reduced to 8 driving 60cc clutch karts he already had about four years experience handling machines with three times the power and was an immediate star continueing that winning streak up until he left for cars and greater things . His personality and enthusiasm was the same at the time of his death as it had been in the previous 20+ years. youtube has clip of him under championnat d' europe karting 1995 mariembourg

14m36s

RIP

Nice post Kartman thanks for the info..

He was competing in the Las Vegas race as part of a promotion for non-regular drivers to race for a $US5million prize. He started from the rear of the field as part of that promotion.

Isnt that a bit like putting Vettel,Webber,Hamilton,Button, Alonso,Massa, and all the other real quick blokes at the back of a F1 grid?at least the F1 drivers are regular drivers, not like in the LA race,

I hope other drivers can see the folly of these kind of crackpot races, RIP Dan, sorry for family..

He was competing in the Las Vegas race as part of a promotion for non-regular drivers to race for a $US5million prize. He started from the rear of the field as part of that promotion.

Isnt that a bit like putting Vettel,Webber,Hamilton,Button, Alonso,Massa, and all the other real quick blokes at the back of a F1 grid?at least the F1 drivers are regular drivers, not like in the LA race,

I hope other drivers can see the folly of these kind of crackpot races, RIP Dan, sorry for family..

They have also have a move over pass flag in F1 too.. It really did turn out to be a tragic promotional idea... And at the time he was well back too, but still no time to react unfortunately...

At least Dan departed doing a Job he Loved. .R.I. P.

I agree Star 100% I have comforted my family by saying the exact same thing to them. There's really only 3 ways I'd like to depart this earth when the time comes if I have a choice and this is one of them..

At least Dan departed doing a Job he Loved. .R.I. P.

Yep for sure !!! This is the way I see it and I am sure Dan would see it that way too.

My Condolences to his family. .

I am a MotoGP fan and still have 74 on my scoot in memory of Daijiro Katoh of HRC, another young loss doing something in life he loved.

Edited by Kwasaki