Which Are The Best Tailors In Bangkok ?

markprotti

I've heard a lot about Bangkok being a Shopping hub. and i would like to get myself suited.

After a search on web .. I came across many tailors which claim to be the best in market.

Can anyone recommend me Tailors in Bangkok it would be great if its near Sukhumvit Soi or other areas .. ?

if you are looking for men's clothing, a lot of expats and visitors from their companies go to Raja's on Soi 4, just to the left of the entrance to Nana Plaza.

Jesse and Victor have been in business many years and have a good reputation backed up by repeat business and new word-of-mouth clients.

The Very best tailors are in Hanoi and are Vietnamese, Indians here only sell the shirts suits etc, all the clothes are made in the same factories by very low paid Thai tailors who are crap to say the least... Pay peanuts, get monkeys.. most materials here are bad quality also.. Hanoi is the place.. Beautiful materials and terrific workmanship... I would not dress my scarecrow in a Thai made suit..!!

if you are looking for men's clothing, a lot of expats and visitors from their companies go to Raja's on Soi 4, just to the left of the entrance to Nana Plaza.

Jesse and Victor have been in business many years and have a good reputation backed up by repeat business and new word-of-mouth clients.

All the Indian tailors have their suits cut and made in the very same Thai factories.. The Indians only take your measurements and pass the work on... not one of those Indians is a tailor... they are salesmen .. ask to see their workshop... they will Never show you.. its some old townhouse somewhere in Klong Toi, run like a Thai sweatshop..!

The Very best tailors are in Hanoi and are Vietnamese, Indians here only sell the shirts suits etc, all the clothes are made in the same factories by very low paid Thai tailors who are crap to say the least... Pay peanuts, get monkeys.. most materials here are bad quality also.. Hanoi is the place.. Beautiful materials and terrific workmanship... I would not dress my scarecrow in a Thai made suit..!!

Good advice, thank you. Can you recommend a tailor in Hanoi, or indicate where in Hanoi I can find them?

I cant understand why others are running down Thai tailors - If US Presidents are satisfied with Victor and Jesse at Rajawongse on Sukhumvit, they cannot be that shoddy. Just yesterday Victor was on TLC channel with a travel program. I have been using them for sixteen years and would never go anywhere else; key is to choose a first class fabric.

I have been using Galati on the corner of Soi Nana and Sukhumvit for over 20 years. Never a problem and they can copy anything! A former Archbishop sent a suitcase full of his vestments there and they reproduced everything at a fraction of the ready made price.

I do agree with some of the above posts. If presidents are happy, then they must be doing something right! OP - you have 2 rec's above in Raja's and Gulati's, here's a third rec for you to try out - Crown Tailors just inside of Sukhumvit soi 8. Been using them for years and years and always a satisfied customer. There you go - 3 recs for you to visit. Have a good one!

Roiethome makes good points. I have used Oriental Tailors for many years and they are excellent. They are proud to show you you their workshop in the back, large and clearly experienced workers. Need at least two fittings, probably three. I always got the made in England fabric, tropical wool.

Stay away from Indain Tailors...they are cheats and trash. All their fabric stocks are fake ie they will claim some are imported garbadine, wool etc ...all are made in thailand with fake side prints. They also do not make the clothes themselves but sned them to sweatshops run sometimes by Thais but mostly by burmese workers who are exploited. They best tailors are the Chinese, they sew it themselves. One that i know of and have used is Perry's Tailors at Silom , near Noodi Restaurant (Soi 2/1). Those that have no clue about fabrics, cuts and stictchings, mostly use the Indain Tailors.

Good advice, thank you. Can you recommend a tailor in Hanoi, or indicate where in Hanoi I can find them?

Go into the old city, thats where you will find some very good and well established tailors, and beautiful materials..

I've never been satisfied with a tailored suit from Bangkok after my second tailored suit from Raja's (suk soi 4), I only buy off the rack now.

IMO If you are a regular shape you'll get a better suit off the rack and you know what you are getting when you buy.

However, I do commonly buy tailored shirts from Raja's which I consider to be decent quality and fit.

I see above that several are recommending shops in which they have repeatedly tried to cheat me with fake polyester

infected fabrics. But thats probably OK, some people are happy with polyester in their clothes.

Not sure I'd follow in the wake of US presidents. When did US presidents start to appear well dressed?

Cannot really see the link between good taste and being president of US.

I'll offer OP one suggestion if you are interested in high quality clothes:

Next to Conrad Hotel on Wireless road there is a small shopping mall called All Season Place or Plaza,

on the 2nd floor there is a tailor shop by the name Dfine.

(this is easy walking distance from lower Sukh)

That shop offers some absolutely top notch fabrics, but is gonna cost you.

I see above that several are recommending shops in which they have repeatedly tried to cheat me with fake polyester

infected fabrics. But thats probably OK, some people are happy with polyester in their clothes.

Not sure I'd follow in the wake of US presidents. When did US presidents start to appear well dressed?

Cannot really see the link between good taste and being president of US.

I'll offer OP one suggestion if you are interested in high quality clothes:

Next to Conrad Hotel on Wireless road there is a small shopping mall called All Season Place or Plaza,

on the 2nd floor there is a tailor shop by the name Dfine.

(this is easy walking distance from lower Sukh)

That shop offers some absolutely top notch fabrics, but is gonna cost you.

OP - you got about 10 choices - make time to visit all B)

I can agree. Many years ago I had a reefer jacket made at Raja's, with the 'genuine' YSL buttons, and it is a beautiful piece of tailoring. I agree with another poster who said that choice of material is the key. Tailoring isn't rocket science, and how it sits on you has a lot to do with fabric quality. I still wear that jacket, not often, but when I do it is often commented on as being a very nice piece of tailoring.

Edited by saxpirant

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all,

After reading some of the advice and recommendations on here, I went into town and got some prices from some of the places on Sukhumvit road that seem to have come up quite a bit. Here's what I found (as of October 25, 2011):

Crown Tailors (Soi 8): 5,500-8,000 THB per suit, 1,000-1,200THB per dress-shirt.

St. Marco (Soi 15): 2,000 THB per suit, 700THB per shirt. This is the best price I found, and Marco seemed genuine compared to the other guys (which isn't saying much in the tailoring world of Bangkok, admittedly). He also, like the other guys, is willing to give discounts with quantity.

Nari Junduns (off Soi 11): 2 suits, 2 shirts, 2 ties for $179US (roughly 5,500THB). This place was recommended to me by a friend who lives in town, but he hasn't really ventured elsewhere. Some tailors in MBK mall offer similar deals to this one.

Inders Fashion (Soi 11): 4,000-6,000THB per suit, 900-1,200THB per shirt.

Raja (Soi 4): I had a coupon for a free shirt here. It's pretty nice and tailored well, but the place overall is a bit pricier. The service is good though (he offered me a beer the first time I went in, gave me a poncho when it was raining, and had a cold glass of water (bottled) and a cold towel for me when I went to pick up the item. Prices: I forgot to write this one down, but I think it was about 4,000THB for a lower-end suit, and about 1,200THB for a dress-shirt.

Disclaimer: I am inexperienced and admittedly ignorant in terms of fabric quality, and I presume that the cheaper places have cheaper stuff. I also assumed, based on the way of the salesman, that if you look in any way like you don't know about quality, you will be sold worse stuff. That being said, I'm happy to pay the lowest price I can find, and learn about quality through experiencing what may be bad. I have been told by a few colleagues that have been in BKK for decades that all of the tailors are owned by 4 families, and that all the fabric comes from the same place anyway.

Hopefully this has been somewhat helpful. Happy suiting!

Edited by BurtonLee

" I had a coupon for a free shirt here. It's pretty nice and tailored well, but the place overall is a bit pricier."

Pricier than free? I can't imagine that to be true.

Many posters have commented on the quality of materials, but the average person can't tell cotton, wool, silk, or cashmere from polyester.

Here's a hint...When burnt, a natural thread will turn to ash, and a polyester thread will melt. If you think you're getting a1 00% wool suit for 6000THB,

it's time to fire up your lighter.

" I had a coupon for a free shirt here. It's pretty nice and tailored well, but the place overall is a bit pricier."

Pricier than free? I can't imagine that to be true.

Many posters have commented on the quality of materials, but the average person can't tell cotton, wool, silk, or cashmere from polyester.

Here's a hint...When burnt, a natural thread will turn to ash, and a polyester thread will melt. If you think you're getting a1 00% wool suit for 6000THB,

it's time to fire up your lighter.

I agree. If any of those stores are selling you 100% wool for 6000 THB, it's time to walk out. There is NO 100% wool suit that can be sold for less than 10k Baht. The fabric itself is too expensive to be sold at that price, let alone the making cost and the profit they want to make from your sale. From all those stores, I'd recommend you walk back to them, and cut out any store that tells you its 100% wool for that price. Oh and by the way, that 2000 THB suit, walk away, a FAR FAR FAR way away.

I cant understand why others are running down Thai tailors - If US Presidents are satisfied with Victor and Jesse at Rajawongse on Sukhumvit, they cannot be that shoddy. Just yesterday Victor was on TLC channel with a travel program. I have been using them for sixteen years and would never go anywhere else; key is to choose a first class fabric.

I got suits made here and was not impressed.

Customer service needs improvement.

If you make an appointment at 4:00PM for a fitting, you'll arrive and then stand there (no chairs) for half an hour while they wait for a thai to run over from the shop with your suit.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

I don't know if it counts as a true tailors, but theres a suit shop inside centralworld Chit Lom on the 2nd floor that made me some very nice fitting suits.

Personally I find shopping for any type of clothes in Bangkok is tricky. Most tops are so narrow and thin at the shoulders, I look like a gayboy.

• 3 weeks later...