If You Have $6,800 To Spare

hughden

I will probably get it, if it is as good as I think it is.

Canon has finally decided to quit the silly megapixel race. This camera might be the low light super performer that I have always dreamed of. Clean pictures at ISO 5800 +.

Price tag stings a little bit, but the release is in march, so I have loads of time to save up for it.

Edited by ricku

Having been a Canon/Nikon/Canon then back to Nikon user this is my take:

Good points - improved ISO, AF that is supposed to work, 14fps in jpeg, improved video. Bad - price, size/weight. No AF in video mode. EXPENSIVE! It's evolutionary rather than revolutionary. If the new Nikon has raw video, af video, thunderbolt, built-in wifi it would piss all over this. Or if the Red Scarlet with interchangeable lenses af's we'll all be using them :-)

Will wait for the D4 and then consider.

Second-hand Mk4's could be a good price then ;)

RAZZ

Lots of talk about video there Razz. ;) Sounds to me like you are a videographer?

Cool if you are, but none of those things matters for me and other photographers who does not care much about video.

By the way, I think that continuous autofocus is quite unnecessary unless you like "amateurish focus-pumping action" like on consumer camcorders.

Just my opinion.

Edited by ricku

Lots of talk about video there Razz. ;) Sounds to me like you are a videographer?

None of those things matters for me and other photographers who does not care much about video.

By the way, I think that continuous autofocus is quite unnecessary unless you like "amateurish focus-pumping action" like on consumer camcorders.

Just my opinion.

Continuous autofocus uneccessary? :blink::lol:

You ever tried photographing sport? ;)

Not really interested in video...but if I'm paying for it I don't want so spend 1000's of $'s, €'s or £'s on rails or follow focus systems to make it usable.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Not really interested in video...but if I'm paying for it I don't want so spend 1000's of s, €'s or £'s on rails or follow focus systems to make it work.

RAZZ

Is that a serious comment? I was obviously talking about continuous autofocus when doing videos. biggrin.gif

Edited by ricku

Not really interested in video...but if I'm paying for it I don't want so spend 1000's of s, €'s or £'s on rails or follow focus systems to make it work.

RAZZ

Is that a serious comment? I was obviously talking about continuous autofocus when doing videos. biggrin.gif

Oops..Misunderstood ;)

There are good pro-level video cameras that follow focus....not brilliantly but they do work.

RAZZ

Incredible camera, but as I have said many times before... just what is it you want your camera for? Do you intend to market your photos? If so then it's a great step forward. But, if it's just to show pictures to your family and friends then what's the point.

Nikon all the way, dont waste your money on canon!

I am sure that you are very fond of your brand new Nikon Coolpix, but there is no need to bash other camera brands.

It will only make you look like a stupid fanboy and highly unprofessional, which I guess that you are anyway. coffee1.gif

Edited by ricku

Incredible camera, but as I have said many times before... just what is it you want your camera for? Do you intend to market your photos? If so then it's a great step forward. But, if it's just to show pictures to your family and friends then what's the point.

I have the 1D III and it has paid for itself many times over as a sports event camera. But that's all I use it for. For everything else it is heavy overkill and it stays in the cupboard; and a Panasonic GF1 is more than adequate.

I have the 1D III and it has paid for itself many times over as a sports event camera. But that's all I use it for. For everything else it is heavy overkill and it stays in the cupboard; and a Panasonic GF1 is more than adequate.

99% of professional "photojournalists" use Nikon or Canon.

A great many switched brand loyalty due to the well-known focusing issues with the Canon Mk3.

Although there isn't much difference between a Nikon D3s and a Canon Mk4 (apart from video capabilities) I would say Nikon is "just" a little ahead.

RAZZ