Shops Running Out Of Products

JimSiam

The problem seems to be threefold......

Disruption to production and distribution due to the floods,

People stocking up at home...just in case,

And people buying vast quantities of water, cooking oil, noodles etc to donate to flood affected victims.

I can see it getting worse over the next couple of weeks too!!:unsure:

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, It's simply because of distribution. Seemed to hit within a day or 2 of that big industrial park in Bkk getting hit. My guess is it will clear up as quickly as it hit. Not looking good for the next few days though.

Lotus Thepprasit was showing the strain this afternoon. No beer or bottled water, it's been like that for days now. Fruit juice is almost sold out. There were a few bags of rice left, but it was probably the brown stuff that few people like. There seems to be a run on either UHT milk or condensed milk, I don't use it so I don't know which it is exactly, but the shelves opposite the fruit juices were pretty sparse.

On the plus side, there was no shortage of fresh produce (apart from tatties, which Lotus is pathetic at stocking even in normal times), milk and bread. I guess you can't hoard that sort of stuff as easily as the other things, so the panic buyers are ignoring it for now.

How about fuel? There's no problem I am aware of at the moment, and with all the refineries in Rayong and Chon Buri I would expect that this will not be a problem for us here. Anyone know better?

Just back from shopping.

I think I just saw the most impressive water panic buying I've ever seen in my life.

No water anywhere anymore, and people going home with trucks full of water packs.

If they don't deliver the shops very soon, a lot of people are going to be on a shortage very soon...

Surely they have reverse osmosis places around where you can get a jug filled yes? If so nothing to worry about. Of course water out of the tap around Pattaya is just fine too although most not used to doing that probably don't want to take the chance.

Gotta hand it to asians, if it's one thing they are good at it's herd mentality. In this case it translates into hoarding, panic buying etc.

Edited by ES1

Lotus Thepprasit was showing the strain this afternoon. No beer or bottled water, it's been like that for days now. Fruit juice is almost sold out. There were a few bags of rice left, but it was probably the brown stuff that few people like. There seems to be a run on either UHT milk or condensed milk, I don't use it so I don't know which it is exactly, but the shelves opposite the fruit juices were pretty sparse.

On the plus side, there was no shortage of fresh produce (apart from tatties, which Lotus is pathetic at stocking even in normal times), milk and bread. I guess you can't hoard that sort of stuff as easily as the other things, so the panic buyers are ignoring it for now.

How about fuel? There's no problem I am aware of at the moment, and with all the refineries in Rayong and Chon Buri I would expect that this will not be a problem for us here. Anyone know better?

The Thai-Danish Blue UHT milk has been out of stock for a few days at a number of places I have tried - my 2 year old drinks so I assume it is widely used for small children. Managed to get a couple of cases of another brand of UHT at Big C Suk yesterday but they were running low on that.

It gets worse.. After spending a night out on the town.. a regular bar that I drink at has run out of Singha Beer.

I've lived here 10 years and never seen anything like it..

I'm not moaning of course, there are millions in far worse situations but sometimes you watch things on the TV and think it won't affect you.

How wrong we are! Tesco Lotus has no Toilet paper even!

This is only the beginning of what will be a few weeks of shortages, the supply chains are in dire straits! and panic buying does not help matters..

Surely they have reverse osmosis places around where you can get a jug filled yes? If so nothing to worry about. Of course water out of the tap around Pattaya is just fine too although most not used to doing that probably don't want to take the chance.

Gotta hand it to asians, if it's one thing they are good at it's herd mentality. In this case it translates into hoarding, panic buying etc.

Want to see herd mentality and panic buying try Houston just before a Hurricane is due, the worrying thing with the septics though, is the gun ammunition was going as quick as the water.

How wrong we are! Tesco Lotus has no Toilet paper even!

Stop smearing the crap around your anus and use a bum gun like civilized people.

Was in Makro (Pattaya) yesterday, many shelves are empty.

Edited by Spoonman

The Aussies are used to floods, Brisbane 2010/2011 5 meters of water, Floods have been a common thing in Brisbane for Years.

Flooding in Brisbane is hardly common. Prior to this January 2011 flood the previous one was in 1974, 37 years earlier.

Want to see herd mentality and panic buying try Houston just before a Hurricane is due, the worrying thing with the septics though, is the gun ammunition was going as quick as the water.

That's because Americans think all problems can be solved with a gun.whistling.gif

In the spirit of misery loves company, here in Hua Hin not only is KFC out of original coating for chicken, and Pepsi for delivery, Burger King is now out of french fries and onion rings. I need a weekly fix of junk food, and it's getting harder to satisfy!

Trundling around on the m/c yesterday afternoon I visited the smaller Thai markets. Many seem to have plenty of fruit and veg at the moment whereas BigC and others have little or poor quality veg. Sometimes BigC have no chicken breasts or minced pork whereas going to the local smaller markets they seem to have no problems. Maybe different delivery systems or maybe smaller markets are more resourceful?

Foodland on Klang were limiting rice to 1 bag per person. Though they seemed to have more fruit and veg available.

No cakes or sliced bread (for toast) in my local 7/11. Few packets of crisps. That might help my diet :rolleyes:

What? No Beer? I hope my local does not run out or I will end up so thin!!!! :P

Just saw this on Twitter - Tesco will close its stores nationwide, due to suppliers unable to make delivery in time. /via @news1005fm

Tesco spokesman says only closing stores in flooded areas NOT all stores,checking w senior person - stand by /via@seacorro

Just saw this on Twitter - Tesco will close its stores nationwide, due to suppliers unable to make delivery in time. /via @news1005fm

Tesco spokesman says only closing stores in flooded areas NOT all stores,checking w senior person - stand by /via@seacorro

Friend just came from Tops in Soi Khao Noi and they said they will close due to shortage of stocks, any one can confirm?

Friend just came from Tops in Soi Khao Noi and they said they will close due to shortage of stocks, any one can confirm?

Why you need it confirmed? Does your friend tell lies?

lotus south pats 25/10/2011

empty no rise noodle etc

Big - C Extra would seem to be doing better. They're getting low on many items, but nowhere as bad as in your photo.

although not in Pattaya, if anyone had ideas about travelling over to Rayong on a shopping expedition....The big Tesco's just off Sukhumvit is running out of things as well...was there today....no bottled water, and a lot of the shelves are bare

The worst of the flooding is still to affect Bangkok. Hudreds of thousands of Bangkok residents, possibly far more, are likely to be displaced unless the government can arrange an efficient emergency food /water distribution and accomodation. It's not unreasonable to assume many of these will make their way to Pattaya.

The wealthier Bangkok Thais will be able to find accomodation, after all many own condos in Pattaya. Nevertheless uncertain supply lines will inevitably mean empier shelves and increased prices for food. at markets and supermarkets.

If large numbers of poor Thais migrate to Pattaya in search of food/shelter and the means of earning some cash, we might well see some pi##ed of, hungry Thais in the next week or two. Add the growing resentment of poor Thais , towards the wealthy elite and I see big trouble. Several expats i spoke with today are thinking the same way so expect the problem to be exacerbated by food hoarding and panic buying.

Unless the government takes major, decisive action for shelter, food and water this could kick off big time into civil unrest. When that happens, staying at home and keeping a low profile will be very, very wise. Things can go downhill very, very quickly when food gets scarce or unobtainable.